Excessive Spending Will Not Lead To Sunny Ways

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I see it as our government recognizing how vital a women role is, in society Manufacturing kids is tough work. And if no one dose, we all suffer from lack of population and lack of demand growth. I say, Give them a full time salary for making kids. I bet our economy would boom from it.

We had a baby bonus. Jean Chretien and Paul Martin took it away.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Excessive Spending Will Not Lead To Sunny Ways

There has been much talk in the election and the time since then about Prime Minister Trudeau's desire to emulate the "sunny ways" approach of Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier. Laurier's sunny ways philosophy is often attributed to his approach to the challenges of linguistic and religious differences facing a young Canada. The most famous quote is from a minority religious schools issue in the 1890s when Laurier said: "Do you not believe that there is more to be gained by appealing to the heart and soul of men rather than by trying to compel them to do a thing?"

source: Excessive Spending Will Not Lead To Sunny WaysÂ*|Â*Erin OToole

There's three main facts that can't be ignored if we're to remain functional as a country.
1. Infrastructure has to be upgraded, repaired or replaced in a timely manner.
2. The ideal time to do it is when interest rates are low.
3. The ideal time to do it is when unemployment rates are high.
The foregoing don't need discussion except for which projects to start on first.

Zooooooooooooooom. And the mental midget proves his ignorance once again.

Is it impossible for you (like Cannuck) to merely say you disagree and forget the character assassination? (Who gives a f**k if you roll around on the floor laughing your fool heads off like f**king idiots?)

Baby bonus they get now, is a lot more than we used to get.

Wages they get now is a lot more than we used to get! :)

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
While many Canadians proudly boast about our country’s "free" health care, a new study has broken down exactly how much money in many tax dollars go into the system each year. According to a report by Fraser Institute, the average Canadian family will contribute $11,735 in taxes for public health insurance in 2015.

Just a little less than $1000.00 a month.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
We had a baby bonus. Jean Chretien and Paul Martin took it away.
No, they didn't. The Family Allowance Act or "baby bonus" (which was passed by the Liberals) was repealed, in 1992, by the Progressive Conservatives, after The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney PC, the 10th Prime Minister, attempted unsuccessfully during the previous Parliament to pass a plan for a $5.4 million national childcare program for 200,000 childcare spaces.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Nope. We had a child tax credit at the end of the year and a baby bonus check every month. Martin got rid of the baby bonus check and replaced with the child tax benefit every month. End result, no baby bonus, but a reduced child tax credit and less tax refund every year. But heck, he balanced the budget.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
While many Canadians proudly boast about our country’s "free" health care, a new study has broken down exactly how much money in many tax dollars go into the system each year. According to a report by Fraser Institute, the average Canadian family will contribute $11,735 in taxes for public health insurance in 2015.

Just a little less than $1000.00 a month.

You want to supply a link for that, cause this is what I came up with

Cost of Care: The U.S. health care system is bleeding green | Dallas Morning News

And it says less than 5k per person.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No, I said I would have to go back and look for it. I believe I got it off the CTV website. However, as I said. My quote was per family at 11 K and yours is per person at 5 K. Two people in a family usually pay taxes, the numbers look pretty close to me.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, I said I would have to go back and look for it. I believe I got it off the CTV website. However, as I said. My quote was per family at 11 K and yours is per person at 5 K. Two people in a family usually pay taxes, the numbers look pretty close to me.

You're right, my apologies. It's still half of what the Americans pay, and in line with the rest of the world.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
O sorry, Gerry I just realized that was an American number, I'll see if I can find the link.

Baby bonus they get now, is a lot more than we used to get.

That's your annual Child Tax Credit chopped up into twelve parts.

No, they didn't. The Family Allowance Act or "baby bonus" (which was passed by the Liberals) was repealed, in 1992, by the Progressive Conservatives, after The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney PC, the 10th Prime Minister, attempted unsuccessfully during the previous Parliament to pass a plan for a $5.4 million national childcare program for 200,000 childcare spaces.

Paradox, I stand corrected. It was the Conservatives who got rid of the baby bonus.
Thank you for showing me the err of my ways.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nope. We had a child tax credit at the end of the year and a baby bonus check every month. Martin got rid of the baby bonus check and replaced with the child tax benefit every month. End result, no baby bonus, but a reduced child tax credit and less tax refund every year. But heck, he balanced the budget.

Here is an article (in the National Post, of all sources) discussing the history of the children's benefits changes made by the Mulroney Government (in his case, as well, to balance the budget).

O sorry, Gerry I just realized that was an American number, I'll see if I can find the link.

That's your annual Child Tax Credit chopped up into twelve parts.

Paradox, I stand corrected. It was the Conservatives who got rid of the baby bonus.
Thank you for showing me the err of my ways.

lol, no problemo, sir.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Here is an article (in the National Post, of all sources) discussing the history of the children's benefits changes made by the Mulroney Government (in his case, as well, to balance the budget).
lol, no problemo, sir.

Already read it, but I didn't want you to think I would look the other way when I made a mistake.

Justin still sucks btw. :thefinger:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
A current Conservative member of Parliament and former Conservative minister disagrees with the policies of the Liberal Prime Minister?! Say it ain't so!
All the lefties that screamed about Harper's deficits suddenly find deficits acceptable. Say it ain't so!