Ex-leader of Westboro Baptist reportedly on death bed

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A 20cm x 1m sq. chunk of Canadian maple so people can dance on his grave and far too heavy for the remaining spineless cult members to remove.
Shameful waste of good wood.

Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral
By ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:51 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:56 AM EDT
The estranged son of North America’s most notorious bigot said he won’t leave his Calgary home for his father’s funeral.Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
Good fer him. T'were my dad, I'd likely avoid the area, too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral
By Bill Kaufmann ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:51 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, March 21, 2014 12:56 AM EDT
The estranged son of North America’s most notorious bigot said he won’t leave his Calgary home for his father’s funeral.
Fred Phelps Sr., of the Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, infamous for its crude picketing at funerals of homosexuals, soldiers and shooting victims, died late Wednesday at 84.
His son Nathan, who fled the hate-filled rhetoric and his tightly controlled household at 18, said he’s not ready to honour his father by mourning him.

Estranged son of Fred Phelps Sr. to skip bigot’s funeral | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
i feel sorry for this guy. It has to hurt to see your father so hated and now he is thrown into the public eye. No matter what, he is still his father. And no matter what he will have issues to resolve.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
i feel sorry for this guy. It has to hurt to see your father so hated and now he is thrown into the public eye. No matter what, he is still his father. And no matter what he will have issues to resolve.

I feel bad for him too. He must be so conflicted. On the one hand he's a member of the public as well and, based on the estrangement, probably sees what the rest of us see. On the other though, that's still his dad. As twisted as that man's mind was, I have to think he couldn't be all bad. I mean, he may have been the one to tuck him in at night, or push him on the swing...there may be some kind of good memories, I'm sure.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I feel bad for him too. He must be so conflicted. On the one hand he's a member of the public as well and, based on the estrangement, probably sees what the rest of us see. On the other though, that's still his dad. As twisted as that man's mind was, I have to think he couldn't be all bad. I mean, he may have been the one to tuck him in at night, or push him on the swing...there may be some kind of good memories, I'm sure.
agreed...it's a mess for kids who have been estranged from their parents for one reason or another

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh the sweet irony...check this out folks

Westboro Asks Public Not to Picket Phelps Funeral

The controversial Westboro Baptist Church has asked the public not to picket the funeral of its founder, Pastor Fred Phelps, who died this week at 84,and "have a little decency and respect" for his family and friends. In a statement posted on its website, the Topeka, Kan.-based church – home to America’s most hated family – claimed members of the public have threatened to protest Phelps’ funeral just as the church protested the funerals of others.
“This is a very difficult time for us,” the statement reads, “so we ask that the public have a little decency and respect by allowing us to mourn a great man who served God and tried to protect America from the threat of fags and perverts (i.e. gays and U.S. soldiers).”
The outspoken Pastor Fred Phelps, a former civil rights attorney, headed the Westboro Baptist Church since 1955, breaking away from mainstream Baptist churches to espouse his bigoted interpretations of the Bible.
The church has attracted widespread controversy for espousing homophobic rhetoric and for protesting at the funerals of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Church members typically carry inflammatory signs and claim the deaths are God’s punishment for the United States’ tolerance of homosexuality.
The 40-member church, primarily consisting of Phelps' family members, has also protested the funerals of celebrities, public officials and murder victims, including victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, Apple founder Steve Jobs and murdered gay student Matthew Shepard.
Shirley Phelps-Roper, a church spokeswoman and Phelps’ daughter, said she was concerned people outside the church would try to picket the funeral service.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

The controversial Westboro Baptist Church has asked the public not to picket the funeral of its founder, Pastor Fred Phelps, who died this week at 84,and "have a little decency and respect" for his family and friends. In a statement posted on its website, the Topeka, Kan.-based church – home to America’s most hated family – claimed members of the public have threatened to protest Phelps’ funeral just as the church protested the funerals of others.
“This is a very difficult time for us,” the statement reads, “so we ask that the public have a little decency and respect by allowing us to mourn a great man who served God and tried to protect America from the threat of fags and perverts (i.e. gays and U.S. soldiers).”
The outspoken Pastor Fred Phelps, a former civil rights attorney, headed the Westboro Baptist Church since 1955, breaking away from mainstream Baptist churches to espouse his bigoted interpretations of the Bible.
The church has attracted widespread controversy for espousing homophobic rhetoric and for protesting at the funerals of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Church members typically carry inflammatory signs and claim the deaths are God’s punishment for the United States’ tolerance of homosexuality.
The 40-member church, primarily consisting of Phelps' family members, has also protested the funerals of celebrities, public officials and murder victims, including victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, Apple founder Steve Jobs and murdered gay student Matthew Shepard.
Shirley Phelps-Roper, a church spokeswoman and Phelps’ daughter, said she was concerned people outside the church would try to picket the funeral service.
Hell's bells, whatta twisted buncha wingnuts.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

He's with his God now, answering for his idiocy. Why sink to their level?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I don't disagree with that, as gleeful as imagining a revenge scenario is actually taking part in one would indeed be sinking to their level. Still the unmitigated nerve and hypocrisy demonstrated just makes you want to pull your hair out. Maybe you've already been there. (Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

The great part about taking the high road is it affords you the opportunity to look down on others.;)

Lol.

In the interim I shall continue to think and talk about delicious revenge scenarios inspired by the late but not so great Rev Phelps as a way of seeking justice and seeing those who deserve it actually get their comeuppance. Because really that's all I can and will do about it.

That shiny dome can enhance and scatter the Northern Lights. Pink Floyd special effects people are after him. ;-)
Be a big hit on night club scene.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The great part about taking the high road is it affords you the opportunity to look down on others.;)

Lol.

In the interim I shall continue to think and talk about delicious revenge scenarios inspired by the late but not so great Rev Phelps as a way of seeking justice and seeing those who deserve it actually get their comeuppance. Because really that's all I can and will do about it.

Be a big hit on night club scene.

Don't get me wrong. He was a scumbag of the highest order. I just wouldn't muck up his own funeral. I get nothing out of that.

But P fukking S:

For those that didn't know, Phelps was a Democrat and a (disbarred) lawyer.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

14,427 since Jun 2007

#73Re: Ex-leader of Westboro Baptist reportedly on death bed

14 minutes ago

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier
Exactly.

Yeah , what wavering moral high ground you have

Don't get me wrong. He was a scumbag of the highest order. I just wouldn't muck up his own funeral. I get nothing out of that.

But P fukking S:

For those that didn't know, Phelps was a Democrat and a (disbarred) lawyer.
aww look at you
Pathetic jab at the democrats

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Oh, I'm not. Believe me, I agree entirely! Ironically, while two negatives do indeed equate to a positive, two wrongs still never make a right.

It's just that with some individuals I think we collectively need to vent about them. Actions are a very different thing of course but I think most people can tell the difference.

But P fukking S:

For those that didn't know, Phelps was a Democrat
Meh means nothing to me. Pretty sure Jerry Falwell and Billy Graham are Republicans, don't much agree with what they have to say either. Just saying.

and a (disbarred) lawyer
Too skeevy even for lawyers.8O

Now that's a scary thing. ;)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh, I'm not. Believe me, I agree entirely! Ironically, while two negatives do indeed equate to a positive, two wrongs still never make a right.

It's just that with some individuals I think we collectively need to vent about them. Actions are a very different thing of course but I think most people can tell the difference.

Meh means nothing to me. Pretty sure Jerry Falwell and Billy Graham are Republicans, don't much agree with what they have to say either. Just saying.

Too skeevy even for lawyers.8O

Now that's a scary thing. ;)

Yeah, I find civil rights lawyer as the most glaring contradiction of this wanker.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, I find civil rights lawyer as the most glaring contradiction of this wanker.

For real???

Some days I'm not entirely sure that God really exists. Then there are times like this when I realize He must and He has a kick-azz sense of humour. Dark, dark, twisted humour.