EU wants to rename Bombay mix.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Re: RE: EU wants to rename Bo

Daz_Hockey said:
well, the thing you have to realise about a LOT of indians are that they tend to be VERY racist about other people from other parts of india, for example if you ar from Mumbai and try to buy a meal in say...Chennai, the shop staff wil server the people from Chennai first, then give you a dirty look and perhaps...maybe serve you.

Worst is actually people from Goa (which actually comes under the duristriction of Mumbai, even though it's a 14 HOUR!!! train journey away..trust me I did it...cockroaches n'all), they're mainly christians and will NOT serve any Indian if white people or other foreigners are about...it's endemic in India, perhaps your contacts have more of a problem with the indians living in Mumbai or the original dwellers there, as I say, tribe-to-tribe problems are the backbone of historical problems in india and their reasoning may indeed be racial...but it's certainly only one side.

That is not racism silly little man.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
Fuflans, Mumbai is a Hindustani name, as opposed to a Portuguese one "bom bay" meaning "good bay", why should they not change their nme to something more "homegrown"?.

Also, Lucifer, please do not call me a liar, I am a 2005 Honours degree graduate in Business Information Systems, now if you do not believe me, that's fine, I recieved the "Coral outstanding achivement award" as well as a 2:1, my university's web address is:

www.solent.ac.uk

my head course leader was Jennifer Muskett (you'll find her web address on the website if you need clarification of my award) and if I had a scanner to hand I would gladly scan you off a copy of my degree, otherwise, please do not call me a liar.

You received the 'Coral' Outstanding Achievement Award did you? :lol:

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
Very interesting, thanks :)

I haven't heard about this in any other context. It's nice to get some first hand perspective.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: EU wants to rename Bo

Why be such an idiot Lucifer...and actually there are several differing RACES in India "Silly", for example the Tamils, or perhaps the Aryan invasions from the north.

Yes I did actually, I recieved £1000 for it and official Acknowledgement....why, do you have something against people trying to better themselves?....or are you just as ignorant as most other old colonialists....so in fact, yes you are quite like Blackleaf, but Blackleaf doesn't tend to be rude.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
Why be such an idiot Lucifer...and actually there are several differing RACES in India "Silly", for example the Tamils, or perhaps the Aryan invasions from the north.

Yes I did actually, I recieved £1000 for it and official Acknowledgement....why, do you have something against people trying to better themselves?....or are you just as ignorant as most other old colonialists....so in fact, yes you are quite like Blackleaf, but Blackleaf doesn't tend to be rude.

The Tamils are in Ceylon and the Aryans are what we may today call the Hindus. What exactly are you saying?

So colonialists are ignorant are they? Let me see, when my ancestors moved into other countries to live via 'colonialism' this was called racist evil imperialism but when non-whites do the same into white homelands it is called 'immigration'. I see. Most interesting.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

WRONG, Tamils are actually also in the south of india (and in fact if you look at the aboriginals in Australia you can trace their journey from Africa via the coastal paths of asia (including Sri Lanka and south India, causing RACIAL tentions), see you've obviously never been there, "Aryans are what we may today call the Hindus" jesus H Christ, what Planet DO you come from?....the word Aryan refers to the Iranian Invasion to the north, and that tends to be why there are so many Pharsi's there, go to Chennai (or perhaps as you call it Madras) it's exclusivly full of Tamil people with the famous "Acha" which is a nodding of the head meaning "it's ok, but maybe it's not".

Well....considering I AM English, and I DO see PROBABLY (considering Land Mass) A HELL of a lot more non-whites "immigrating" here....THANKS TO Bleedin colonialism, I really have no pity on you....you reap what you sew.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
WRONG, Tamils are actually also in the south of india (and in fact if you look at the aboriginals in Australia you can trace their journey from Africa via the coastal paths of asia (including Sri Lanka and south India, causing RACIAL tentions), see you've obviously never been there, "Aryans are what we may today call the Hindus" jesus H Christ, what Planet DO you come from?....the word Aryan refers to the Iranian Invasion to the north, and that tends to be why there are so many Pharsi's there, go to Chennai (or perhaps as you call it Madras) it's exclusivly full of Tamil people with the famous "Acha" which is a nodding of the head meaning "it's ok, but maybe it's not".

Well....considering I AM English, and I DO see PROBABLY (considering Land Mass) A HELL of a lot more non-whites "immigrating" here....THANKS TO Bleedin colonialism, I really have no pity on you....you reap what you sew.

Yes, yes. I know all of that. I believe we all know the Aryans came from the north of India and the Tamils from the south. Ceylon is south of India. Naturally you would expect some Tamils to move into southern India. That is precisely what I said. Where did I state that Tamils were anywhere other than south? Tell me, what other races may be found in India. Please see fit to name them and I shall be content.

You state you are English? Are you certain? I enjoy how you mention the 'tentions' in Inda.

I have never claimed to be in India. I merely know of India from my people's history there. You do realise India, Pakistan and Bangladesh all exist thanks to we Britons yes?

You see a hell of a lot of non-whites immigrating to Britain and you feel this is quite alright? Even you are able to spare the intellect required to understand that Britain is certainly not large enough to take in this influx of foreign invaders. We reap what we sow? What have we reaped? How many white people are there in India today? In China? In any of the Muslim countries? Not a one. So why are they now allowed to move into our homelands? They worked so hard after all to boot us out. Good thing we left of our own volition.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

you nit-pick me for using the mispelt word "tentions" then write "in inda" lol...Yes I AM English, probably a great deal more so than you.

I am also very familiar with the Partitioning and seperation Pakistan and East Pakistan/Bangladesh (and actually britons had little to do with the creation of Bangladesh, my grandfather's Army group Leader and former president of my Football Club, Lord Mountbatten TRUELY FCKED UP WITH THAT disgraceful case of "we're done here, you can go to hell")

And actually, there are MANY MANY races in India, you may of course not think so, but then, you have already established yourself as an ignorant devoted follower of a long dead empire.

(and actually there are LOTS of white people living in places such as Mumbai and Goa, heck we've taken over a whole Continent previously run by said Tamils...i.e. Australia)

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Daz_Hockey said:
you nit-pick me for using the mispelt word "tentions" then write "in inda" lol...Yes I AM English, probably a great deal more so than you.

I am also very familiar with the Partitioning and seperation Pakistan and East Pakistan/Bangladesh (and actually britons had little to do with the creation of Bangladesh, my grandfather's Army group Leader and former president of my Football Club, Lord Mountbatten TRUELY FCKED UP WITH THAT disgraceful case of "we're done here, you can go to hell")

And actually, there are MANY MANY races in India, you may of course not think so, but then, you have already established yourself as an ignorant devoted follower of a long dead empire.

(and actually there are LOTS of white people living in places such as Mumbai and Goa, heck we've taken over a whole Continent previously run by said Tamils...i.e. Australia)

'Tention' was a spelling error. 'inda' would be a typo. There is a difference. That would be 'mispelled'. Learn your grammar.
I never claimed to be English. You did. Another difference dear.

Britain had everything to do with the creation of Bangladesh. What was once the Indian Empire was completely under British control. It was partitioned in its entirety by the British. Naturally this would include Bangladesh.

RULE BRITANNIA!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

lol, you know nothing. Bangladesh used to be East Pakistan, and was partitioned accordingly.....not by the British I might add. It was INDIA who actively encouraged East Pakistan to break free of Pakistan itself.

You know nothing of Britannia, you seem to know very little about a lot of things.

1. I do not "claim" to be English, I AM English, by birth, unlike yourself.

2. Let me explain how this works.....an empire ends, the loyal and well off servants of said empire realise they are onto a good thing under the old ways and wish for this to continue...what do they do?.....return to their "mother country" or other remnants of the "old empire"...you reap......

3. There are a lot of large British communities in parts of the old empire, India, Kenya, Hong Kong, CANADA for example, we've taken over 2 continents...and they can't?.....why?, because they are non-whites?...racism I'm afraid.

If you feel so "British" why did your family leave in the first place then?....just like the WASPS in north America, you leave the Land of the Anglo-saxons (.i.e. England) and you have no right to taint my country with your racist views and use England as your excuse "I'm Anglo-saxon" - pish off.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

Daz_Hockey said:
lol, you know nothing. Bangladesh used to be East Pakistan, and was partitioned accordingly.....not by the British I might add. It was INDIA who actively encouraged East Pakistan to break free of Pakistan itself.

You know nothing of Britannia, you seem to know very little about a lot of things.

1. I do not "claim" to be English, I AM English, by birth, unlike yourself.

2. Let me explain how this works.....an empire ends, the loyal and well off servants of said empire realise they are onto a good thing under the old ways and wish for this to continue...what do they do?.....return to their "mother country" or other remnants of the "old empire"...you reap......

3. There are a lot of large British communities in parts of the old empire, India, Kenya, Hong Kong, CANADA for example, we've taken over 2 continents...and they can't?.....why?, because they are non-whites?...racism I'm afraid.

If you feel so "British" why did your family leave in the first place then?....just like the WASPS in north America, you leave the Land of the Anglo-saxons (.i.e. England) and you have no right to taint my country with your racist views and use England as your excuse "I'm Anglo-saxon" - pish off.

hear, hear!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

The main thing that irritates me about this "Saint Lucifer"...apart from his blaitent racist and ancient views is his picking of my spelling....If he would care to look down the bottom of each comment, he'll find the number of edits...I usually dont edit my work, it's off the cuff if you will, so my error rate is gonna be high.

Strange because he (and he's gotta be male) edits his work several times....Unlike I, and I would like to say that, although sometimes Blackleaf can get a little annoying with his facts, he's never as bigotted as this peice of work.

Personally I'd like the Mod's to have a bit of a look at his racist rhetoric, cus it's a little vailed, but it's obvious what his comments are about.

joehennon

Aug 3, 2006
Belgium
ec.europa.eu
A funny story, except it's complete nonsense, see below.

While I was away, news reached me of a curious story doing the rounds, alleging that “nutty EU officials” were planning to ban Bombay mix – a snack made of dried Indian noodles, chickpeas, lentils and peanuts – on the politically correct grounds that it should now be called Mumbai mix, in deference to that Indian city’s name change.

I must admit, the story did not seem that likely – the EU is strict and pernickety about food labelling when it comes to things like health claims (alcoholic drinks cannot claim to be good for you, for example), additives and where fresh foods come from (meat labels must show where an animal was raised, and where it was slaughtered). The EU is strict in defending European designated geographical places of origin (so Parma ham must come from Parma, and Feta cheese must come from Greece, for example).

But this story claimed the EU was acting to avoid offending the people of India. That did not quite make sense. As far as I knew, people in Mumbai call that city Mumbai, but when it comes to certain traditional names, like the Bombay High Court, they still use Bombay.

So I called a couple of people at the Commission, who are paid to know about things like this. Not only did they know nothing about it, they could not even think of a directive that would let them do this. I called diplomats working in the same field, and drew a blank.

So where did the story start? The answer, I found, was with a small regional news agency in the south of England (I shall not name it, to avoid getting into messy legal territory). Anyway, it is enough to say that I called them up, and ended up speaking to their news editor, who cheerfully admitted the story was his idea (though he gave it to one of his reporters to write up).

Help me out here, I asked him. Is this a Commission proposal, or does this come from the European Parliament? Is it a directive working its way through the Council of Ministers? He had no answer. The story, he explained, came from a mate of his at the Home Office, who had heard it being talked about.

Had he tried to pin it down, and found any piece of paper discussing the change? Had he found a manufacturer who had been advised to alter a product name?

He sounded impatient with me at this point. Look, he said, this is just meant to be funny for the tabloids.

I tried a last question. Given that his news agency was running the story as an established fact, had he put it to the Commission at all? Oh, you know what it’s like getting an answer out of Brussels, he said. I did ask the reporter to put in a call.

So in other words, you have no evidence that this story is true at all, I concluded. Look, it’s just something light, he said, almost pleadingly.

And so we left it. But not before I checked his news agency’s version. It quoted the shadow Europe minister, Graham Brady, denouncing the plan, though he did have the good sense to begin his quote with: “If this is true”. The piece quoted a local Asian newsagent, Khalid Ahmed, calling the plan crazy, and saying no-one was offended by the name. It also stated, as fact, that a decision on the plan was to be made final by the “end of the year”.

For good measure, the original local agency news copy said that: “The fussy bureaucrats, which in the past have ruled that bananas and cucumbers must be straight and tried to outlaw the sale of mushy peas, decided to look into the naming of the popular snack after officials complained that Bombay is officially called Mumbai.”

Now, even the most ardent British Eurosceptics know that the straight bananas and straight cucumbers line is simply untrue. The stories were generated by common rules on classes of fruit and vegetables. The best quality, Class I, have to follow certain rules, and for cucumbers, being straight is considered a desirable attribute (customers like them straight, and you get more in a box).

Bent cucumbers are not banned, they just count as a lesser class of vegetable, and so are usually sold for a lower price. The same goes for bananas, which are less valuable if they are excessively curved. In both cases, it was industry and national governments that asked for EU wide standards, to ease pan-European trade.

The mushy pea story comes from a directive banning colourings in prepared and frozen vegetables. Tinned mushy peas are covered by a special exemption, and can be dyed green, but frozen peas are not allowed to be dyed. This is the European Commission’s own version of the tale.

None of which is to say the EU does not go in for excessive red tape and regulation. It is just that if you are going to attack Brussels, you lose a lot of credibility – or you should – if you simply make it up.

So what happened with the cobblers about Bombay mix?

Well, it turned up in The Sun, that’s what, as well as in The Mirror. And the next day – in a weird irony of globalisation – it turned up in the Hindustan Times, complete with digs about bent bananas and cucumbers.

Was it true? I have no evidence that it was – though I should add the caveat that the EU is a big machine, with lots of committees and officials, so it is very hard to prove that something was never suggested in any setting.

But do I think that is what happened with this story? No. I think this was one of those Brussels-bashing stories that – for a good chunk of the British press – was simply too good to check. And given that the Commission does not sue, why should the tabloids care?

Posted by David Rennie at 20 Jul 06 17:24
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/foreign/davidrennie/july06/mix.htm