Environmental Activism Stagnating Our Economy

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Most recently notable in this category are the federal approvals of the Kinder Morgan/Trans Mountain and Line 3 expansions. Environmental activists have taken this as a rallying cry to ramp up resistance, despite the obvious benefits these improvements could bring. I really don't think these people have thought their positions through in that environmental reform is going to cost money. Lots of money. And that money has to come from somewhere. I'd like to hear where those supporting the demise of the oil & gas industry think that money is going to come from ?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I feel bad that Canada and the EU are going to have to carry this burden for China and India.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Our share (Canada) of (GHG) emissions in the world is 1.6%........yet Flossie's hero, Trou d'eau is all gung-ho to make a big difference..
We're just the proverbial drop in the bucket....
The guy just can't resist a photo-op
A wh0re for attention like Flossie and his current sock puppet.....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Our share (Canada) of (GHG) emissions in the world is 1.6%........yet Flossie's hero, Trou d'eau is all gung-ho to make a big difference..

Flossy is just a butthurt troll.

The serious part is that Trudeau is perfectly will to sacrifice Canada's economy for a myth.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Ontario's provincial debt; $313,707,500.00

Just look at Ontario.

No thanks.... Rubber-necking at train wrecks is a bad habit

Sadly, he is refusing to wear his hockey helmet these days.

... Brain injuries are a very serious issue

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Debt is meaningless.

Just look at Trump's plan to increase the US debt by 5x.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In light of the major emitters (if you buy into this bunk, that is), yeah, crushing the economy over 1.6% doesn't make sense.

It will not affect Truddy so to him it really doesn't matter. Libs never allow or pass legislation that will adversely affect themselves.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

The oilsands emissions still have 30% (300 mega tonnes) growth before hitting their cap in the cap n' trade swindle.

Conventional oil and NG still have even far far far more leverage.

They hold the ON system by the balls.

Why do the moonbats think Evil Oil Corp are jumping on this?

Carbon taxes will subsidize lowering oil production emissions allowing Canada to ramp up production and export to even higher levels.

Hooray for the global warming swindle.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The same logic would apply to holding back expansion in the oil & gas industry wouldn't it ?

Holding back the expansion of the oil and gas indutry in Canada is purely a marketing problem. The demand is not there. Oil selling prices are low because the demand is not there and the supply all over the world is overflowing. Oil prices are going to stsy low for years, probably. Canada is likely headed for recession because 20% of our economy is devoted to oil and gas exploitation but the market for what we produce is not there, right now. We have way too many eggs in the Petro basket and it's dragging all of us down.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Obviously the big players in the oil & gas industry disagree with you or they wouldn't be willing to sink billions into these projects. China will take what ever we can get to the west coast, and its consumption is forecast to rise steadily for decades.

I'm just saying that diversifying our production capabilities beyond the current reliance on oil & gas is not going to come quickly or cheaply. Doing the best we can with what we have at present is the path of least resistance to economic recovery, a recovery that is going to have to take place if we want to get serious about developing new products and new markets.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Obviously the big players in the oil & gas industry disagree with you or they wouldn't be willing to sink billions into these projects. China will take what ever we can get to the west coast, and its consumption is forecast to rise steadily for decades.

I'm just saying that diversifying our production capabilities beyond the current reliance on oil & gas is not going to come quickly or cheaply. Doing the best we can with what we have at present is the path of least resistance to economic recovery, a recovery that is going to have to take place if we want to get serious about developing new products and new markets.

I think that you are using the wrong tense. Expect the better part of a decade of slow oil patch growth as the momentum slows.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I think that you are using the wrong tense. Expect the better part of a decade of slow oil patch growth as the momentum slows.

Major producers are moving to offset lower oil prices with increased output and lower production costs. Suncor's Fort Hills project is expected to come online towards the end of 2017 with output reaching 180,000 barrels per day within 12 months. CNRL's Horizon facility will complete Phase 3 of its ongoing expansion program to more than double production from the current 110,000 bb/d to 250,000 bb/d. Having worked in the oilsands since 2013 I can guarantee that growth is far from slow.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Major producers are moving to offset lower oil prices with increased output and lower production costs. Suncor's Fort Hills project is expected to come online towards the end of 2017 with output reaching 180,000 barrels per day within 12 months. CNRL's Horizon facility will complete Phase 3 of its ongoing expansion program to more than double production from the current 110,000 bb/d to 250,000 bb/d. Having worked in the oilsands since 2013 I can guarantee that growth is far from slow.

Ummm.

I don't think so.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/caodc-2017-forecast-oilpatch-1.3862040

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Interesting article. It talks about "drilled oil", or conventional crude oil as it is more widely known. Conventional crude oil accounts for a little over twenty percent of Alberta's total oil production. Things are much, much busier in the oilsands.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
mentalfloss; said:
Fukk the economy.

We'll be fine.

The oil industry in Canada made something like $10 billion for several years in a row. While its profits are down this year, it cannot be attributed to environmental issues because the same regulations were in place during their profitable years. Therefore, the article is not to be believed.