Enbridge: Thwarting vs. ensuring safety and prosperity?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No.

There was a front page article here a month or two ago about a leaked memo from provinicial authoorities that were quite concerned that the feds had abandoned the field. Marine waters are not provinicial jurisdiction.
Feds and Province sit equal as one entity on the just one environmental review instead of fed and provincial reviews.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What exactly are we shipping to them? With a little digging you'd find out that while it may not be refined it has had the more valuable petrochemicals stripped out leaving a product that is only good for making fuel, a few lubricants and plastic.

The paraffin from bitumen and heavy oil to make plastics is why it's shipped as a raw material and highly desired.

A plastic industry here would never happen with todays regs.

I could fit both in my farm.

The Northeast region of British Columbia, also known as the Peace region, has a robust agricultural sector which includes a range of products such as grain, oil seed, honey and livestock. With an abundance of rural and agricultural land and a combination of flatland, foothills and mountains, the Northeast is similar to a prairie landscape.
With close to 2.5 million acres in production, the Northeast region is the largest agricultural region in British Columbia, and home to some 1,800 farms, producing well over $100 million worth of product annually. The area has an optimal low-temperature growing season coupled with long hours of daylight, which make agricultural production successful.

Almost 90% of British Columbia's grain and 95% of Canola are produced in the Northeast. Farms in the Northeast enjoy the dual advantages of low land prices and low cost of production. The area’s proximity to west coast grain terminals is also a significant cost advantage. Areas of potential growth and diversification for the sector include livestock finishing, dairy and eggs, and expanded game farming.

Lots of natural gas under that BC prairie.
No kidding Sherlock thanks for the geography lesson .You must have a pretty large farm . You must be a land baron or something .
Is your real name Lorne Green I mean Cartwright ? LOL .

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Feds and Province sit equal as one entity on the just one environmental review instead of fed and provincial reviews.

No.

It was a National Energy Board review. That's federal. The province opposed the pipeline and requires a number of conditions prior to approval.

thinkboutit

Dec 15, 2013
It seems foolish to me to be committing ourselves to further exports of our energy resources without a national energy strategy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have a national strategy. Companies fund projects with high pump prices and Gov. Rakes in huge on GST to fund ActionPlsn to move more resources to port.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
OPEC and NorAm producers said they were pegging oil at $100 a bbl to pay for massive projects. They aren't done yet.

thinkboutit

Dec 15, 2013
What does that really mean?
As it stands now when we open the flood gates to Asia there will be no stopping the flow of gas and oil. There are currently no laws in place to defend Canada's economy from skyrocketing energy prices which is a very real possibility. You can't argue the fact that Canada's economy depends on affordable energy.
What we do have is a government considering signing a FIPPA with china. This will make it very difficult for future governments to pass laws for social, environmental, or economic reasons without the serious threat of international litigation. End result...the erosion of sovereignty.
We need a legally binding national energy plan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have enough to last a long long time. My great grandkids will be consuming and exporting CDN resources and so will theirs.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
As it stands now when we open the flood gates to Asia there will be no stopping the flow of gas and oil. There are currently no laws in place to defend Canada's economy from skyrocketing energy prices which is a very real possibility. You can't argue the fact that Canada's economy depends on affordable energy.
What we do have is a government considering signing a FIPPA with china. This will make it very difficult for future governments to pass laws for social, environmental, or economic reasons without the serious threat of international litigation. End result...the erosion of sovereignty.
We need a legally binding national energy plan.

Sounds to me like this 'strategy' is based on forcing the O&G industry to sell at below world market prices.... Trudeau tried it and it was a disaster.

As far as potential for litigation, that is a non-starter unless there is some kind of promise/contract in place that stipulates supply and cost... That, to my knowledge, neither exists nor is it on the radar.

thinkboutit

Dec 15, 2013
Sounds to me like this 'strategy' is based on forcing the O&G industry to sell at below world market prices.... Trudeau tried it and it was a disaster.

As far as potential for litigation, that is a non-starter unless there is some kind of promise/contract in place that stipulates supply and cost... That, to my knowledge, neither exists nor is it on the radar.
Petro Canada was a profitable institution before Mulroney sold it. These were profits going to government coffers for social programs.

Petro Canada was a profitable institution before Mulroney sold it. These were profits going to government coffers for social programs.
Which is better than a tax if you ask me.

Litigation is a very real threat. The Chinese FIPPA is just like NAFTA but would only be harder to get out of. Currently, the Canadian gov't is being sued, under NAFTA, by a pharmaceutical company because Canada would not authorize the sale of a certain drug in Canada. This in turns impedes on the profits of an American company. There are lots of examples of this type of thing occurring in Canada.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
PetroCanada was sold off because it was a loser... They achieved success when the private sector turned them around.

Not terribly concerned about FIPPA. The Cdn resource sector is not selling-out without compensation. You need to understand that regardless of who 'owns' the rights, gvt picks their pockets throughout the entire process from fees, licenses, permits, various taxes, royalties and then tax all revenues on top.

Cdn society will get massive amounts of money, but phrases like 'National Energy Strategy' are simply code words for NEP and banana-republic gvt policy

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
:"In the unlikely event of a large oil spill ... we found that the adverse effects would not be permanent and widespread."

And just in case you aren't convinced of this by reading it just the once, the National Energy Enbridge Board repeats it three more times in their report.

But "in the unlikely event of a large oil spill ..." :"Our final condition requires the company to maintain insurance and other financial resources totaling $950 million.

The financial assurances would include $100 million in ready cash for immediate costs, $600 million in insurance or similar instruments, and $250 million in financial backstopping such as guarantees by equity partners.".

Enbridge's Kalamazoo cleanup dredges up 3-year-old oil spill - Politics - CBC News

Enbridge Northern Gateway Project - Report of the Joint Review Panel for the Enbridge Northern Gateway Project - Connections

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
:"In the unlikely event of a large oil spill ... we found that the adverse effects would not be permanent and widespread."

And just in case you aren't convinced of this by reading it just the once, the National Energy Enbridge Board repeats it three more times in their report.

But "in the unlikely event of a large oil spill ..." :"Our final condition requires the company to maintain insurance and other financial resources totaling $950 million.

The financial assurances would include $100 million in ready cash for immediate costs, $600 million in insurance or similar instruments, and $250 million in financial backstopping such as guarantees by equity partners.".

Enbridge's Kalamazoo cleanup dredges up 3-year-old oil spill - Politics - CBC News

Enbridge Northern Gateway Project - Report of the Joint Review Panel for the Enbridge Northern Gateway Project - Connections

Come on Tay no one cares about spills we would just move a bunch of slop from one piece of earth to another .
I would be more concerned with oil trains running through population centers .We saw the results of that didn't we .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ironic comment coming from a province that has no problem releasing 100's of thousands of gallons of raw sewage into the ocean each and evey day

Only from the capital. Home of the anti everything economic crowd. It isn't the majority of BCers that are against the pipeline, just the vocal few that do not want any good paying jobs unless they are government jobs. 100% of the people I work with are in favor of building the NG.