Emerson is a morally bankrupt, self-serving politician.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: Emerson's Crossing

FiveParadox said:
Liberty said:
Hey Five Paradox, make sense easy with the Neo con spin, his right? What right? Me stealing your vote is my right? What world did you crawl out of man? You don't campaign the night before screaming I will be Harpers worst night mare in politics and the day after you are kissing Chicken Little Harper’s ass. Come on, this is not Russia or communist China. Just watch your honourable goofs will not be so honourable 18 months from now or sooner.
This is a day to go into the history books — rarely have I ever, if ever, been accused of neo-conservative bias.

Leave the darkside Five....join the rebel forces....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Re: Emerson is a morally bank robed self-serving politician.

Canadians cannot call Emerson a traitor, only his fellow liberal members can. He betrayed his principals, sort of, being a true liberal its evident he didn't have any.
As for the Tories and their supporters saying he will represent his constituents from the govenment benches, well that is what they don't want, conservative support in that riding is less than 20%
This is really about a much bigger problem, voting not for someone, but to keep someone out. This riding voted Liberal to keep the Tories out of office, and the actions of Emerson the turncoat gave them their worst nightmare. This riding has voted NDP in large numbers in the past and had the people done so this time the Tories would be one seat less.
Caution, never trust a well dressed lumber man in a liberal suit, for inside in a closet tory.

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006

Hey Paradox, make sense easy with the Neo con spin, his right? What right? Me stealing your vote is my right? What world did you crawl out of man? You don't campaign the night before screaming I will be Harpers worst night mare in politics and the day after you are kissing Chicken Little Harper’s ass. Come on, this is not Russia or communist China. Just watch your honourable goofs will not be so honourable 18 months from now or sooner.
This is a day to go into the history books — rarely have I ever, if ever, been accused of neo-conservative bias. Whether or not we happen to agree with the law as it stands now, right now, it and the right of Members of Parliament to cross to another party, be it the government, the opposition or otherwise. Nobody stole anyone's vote — Mr. Emerson made a poor decision, but it was his decision to make, and he's going to be punished for it by the electorate.

Hey Paradox I don't mean to come on so hateful, but politics can make strange bed fellows.
Nothing personal

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

FiveParadox said:
Nobody stole anyone's vote — Mr. Emerson made a poor decision, but it was his decision to make, and he's going to be punished for it by the electorate.

As I understand it, Mr. Emerson is not running next election. So, unfortuanately, the only penalty he will suffer will be to his reputation. I hope his business friends know not to trust him anymore.

Just more reason for electoral reform. Although I believe, Mr. Harper has said that the Conservatives are going to be sponsoring a bill to stop this kind of chinanigans.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Emerson is a morally bank robed self-serving politician.

Good morning, Liberty. :)

Could you please indicate when you're quoting another member, through using the quote tags, or some other means of highlighting the fact? It just makes posts easier to follow. Eep! Thanks. :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Emerson is a morally bank robed self-serving politician.

LittleRunningGag, when the New Democratic Party of Canada brought up the topic of reforming the practice of crossing, a member of the Conservative Party of Canada stood, and no-less-than told the member to sit down and shut up, citing that at one point the New Democrats had invited anyone to join their party in the House of Commons, and so therefore, the New Democrats had no right to question the Government to that end.

Liberty

Apr 7, 2006
Re: RE: Emerson is a morally bank robed self-serving politic

Good morning, Liberty

Could you please indicate when you're quoting another member, through using the tags, or some other means of highlighting the fact? It just makes posts easier to follow. Eep! Thanks.

Good morning Five Paradox request granted.
Thank You
:D

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Conservative Position on Crossing

LittleRunningGag, for further certainty, I have found an exerpt from the Hansard, from April 6th, 2006. This exchange took place during Question Period, and occurred between Pat Martin, M.P., the Member for Winnipeg Centre and Privacy and Ethics Critic for the New Democratic Party of Canada, and the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada.

[color=orange said:
Pat Martin[/color], M.P.,]Mr. Speaker, I do not think the government believes in true transparency and accountability any more than the last gang did. The Prime Minister will not even talk to the media. He holds his secret cabinet meetings at midnight in the Diefenbunker and he is stripping out the ATI provisions from the accountability act.

There is plenty of room in the accountability act to answer this serious concern that Canadians have. They care about this. They want the practice stopped. Will he commit today to ending the practice of floor crossing once and for all?

Click here to read the entire Hansard for this day in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le Hansard entier pour ce jour en français.
The [color=blue said:
Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper[/color], P.C., M.P., in response,]Mr. Speaker, as I have said before, I believe members of Parliament should have that freedom and be accountable to their constituents for their decisions at the next election. However, in my observation, the only parties that really have this as an obsession are the parties that no one ever crosses to.

Click here to read the entire Hansard for this day in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le Hansard entier pour ce jour en français.
So according to the Prime Minister, the Conservative Party of Canada is opposed to legislative measures that would end the rights of Members of Parliament to cross the House. I am not arguing one way or the other with this post, but rather stating the sometimes-unclear position of the Government of Canada on this issue.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Parliament of Canada.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Emerson is a morally

Harper the Annoying said:
However, in my observation, the only parties that really have this as an obsession are the parties that no one ever crosses to.

:roll:

Go talk to ordinary people (people whose questions aren't hand picked). Go talk to those saps in Vancouver. They would probably give you a different opinion.