Election Countdown

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The distinction is important...that's why it's important that Holland was a refuge for religious reformers during the Reformation. It's kind of like when they talk about "western separatism" in Canada when what they really mean is "Alberta oil-patch separatism."

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Yeah, Holland is very different from the Netherlands. When you say "Holland", you actually say "those few Protestant provinces who gained independence from the Spanish Crown in I-don't-know-what-century-exactly" ... As a Dutchman, I always feel a bit neglected in the common view foreigners have of the Dutch. I'm from the south, which only later became part of the Netherlands, they're all Catholic around here too, that's why we have a history of twohundred years of persecution by our oh-so-tolerant Protestant countrymen ... We don't have dikes around here; no polders; no tulips; no big rivers. Guess we look more like Belgium. Which doesn't mean I don't feel Dutch though...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You need to go buy a CD by the Violent Femmes called "Add 1+ Up (1981-1993)," Apollo. It's kind of a best of, but I'm listening to it right now and it's their best stuff. It'll make you happy...or at least confirm that you haven't been alone since 1980 or so.