Edmonton the Violent

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but, until something happens in your neighbourhood,
rural, or small town, it is a nice cozy feeling, I've been there. Grew up in New westminster, which, at that time, was a great small city. Great neighbourhoods, and
a very clean atmosphere, until, one night, my mother was mugged walking home, and
not longer after that, I was stopped about 9 at night, and threatened, till I screamed the
guys ears off, and he ran away, but that ended the 'cozy' feeling we all had, right then and
there.
I have heard many times on the news, when people were interviewed after a horrendous happening, "We have never had anything like this happen here, we never lock our doors, and
we all trust one another", well, that's great, until 'that one day'.
Hope nothing bad every happens to any of you, ever.

Not yet, but all the signs are out there and it will happen, today, tomorrow, who knows. Not a great way to live. I remember the days of unlocked doors, no alarm systems and motion sensors.
.....so sad, but true.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but, until something happens in your neighbourhood,
rural, or small town, it is a nice cozy feeling, I've been there. Grew up in New westminster, which, at that time, was a great small city. Great neighbourhoods, and
a very clean atmosphere, until, one night, my mother was mugged walking home, and
not longer after that, I was stopped about 9 at night, and threatened, till I screamed the
guys ears off, and he ran away, but that ended the 'cozy' feeling we all had, right then and
there.
I have heard many times on the news, when people were interviewed after a horrendous happening, "We have never had anything like this happen here, we never lock our doors, and
we all trust one another", well, that's great, until 'that one day'.
Hope nothing bad every happens to any of you, ever.

I hear what you're saying talloola. But, at the same time... locking your doors wouldn't have prevented either one of those things. Locking doors never prevented my in-laws home from being robbed. Locking doors hasn't prevented many violent invasions in many cities, ours included.

But, looking at the overall crime rate, and not focusing on the individual instances makes a difference. Looking at your individual neighborhood is also something you need to consider.

If someone decides to randomly target you, there's not a lot you can do about it. Living in fear isn't really an option for me, just based on the off chance that someone might decide to do something.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It doesn't seem to matter where you are, violence isn't far away. About 7 years ago a guy in a little community called Black Creek, just south of Campbell River, killed his entire family with an axe. A couple of years ago a guy up at the north end of the island burned his house down killing his entire family. Small communities with horribly violent crimes.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
It doesn't seem to matter where you are, violence isn't far away. About 7 years ago a guy in a little community called Black Creek, just south of Campbell River, killed his entire family with an axe. A couple of years ago a guy up at the north end of the island burned his house down killing his entire family. Small communities with horribly violent crimes.

All this violence is now omni-present and little has been done to stop it.
The real question is......how did it get to this point?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Maybe I have watched too much news/tv,newspapers, over the years, but I lock my doors
all the time, and It's because of all the drug problems, as I don't trust any of them, they
are prowling around 24 hours a day, , looking for money for their drugs, it's
not like being afraid of bogey men, other scary things, these people are real, and desperate, and they would robb their own mothers to get what they 'need', well folks,
they can try my door, it'll be locked, so they can go next door, maybe their's is open.

The newspapers list all of the break ins, and there is always a pretty good list of streets that have been vandalized, so it seems kind of 'dumb' for me to leave my door unlocked and make it real convenient for them.

Drug addicts get up every day, and go to work robbing others, just like we go to work to
earn our daily bread. I would as soon put a bullet between their eyes as look at them,
so, they are 'not' coming into my house.

Someone walked into my next door neighbours house one night, and took all of his electronic equipment, out the back slider, and they were gone.
I was right next door, doing, whatever, never heard a thing, but my door was locked.

I am not afraid, but I am 'aware', and it is no different for me to be in my house with a locked door, or unlocked door, I don't walk around in fear, I just feel more secure.
I have a big chocolate lab too, and he is a good deterent, and people who case
neighbourhoods, usually know where the dogs are, and would sooner bother someone
without a dog.

My daughters never lock their doors, I don't really understand that, they work hard for what they have, buy nice things, then leave their houses open for any 'scum bag' that might decide to walk off with everything.

The real sickheads, like the guy on the bus, or the shooter of the swimmers, no one can
predict when those kinds will surface, they are random and wierd and far between,
no one can stop them.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
i always lock my doors too because i dont trust anyone

Niki,

Oh, to be your age again.
But you missed out on decent hard working responsible people and authorities that did the jobs they were paid to do and most of the time they were your neighbours or friends.......it's a long story.

cyl

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Quoting Taloola:
"" Drug addicts get up every day, and go to work robbing others, just like we go to work to
earn our daily bread. I would as soon put a bullet between their eyes as look at them,

Someone walked into my next door neighbours house one night, and took all of his electronic equipment, out the back slider, and they were gone.
I was right next door, doing, whatever, never heard a thing, but my door was locked.

I am not afraid, but I am 'aware', and it is no different for me to be in my house with a locked door, or unlocked door, I don't walk around in fear, I just feel more secure""

So, a locked door means your insurance company will pay for your stolen "stuff". if you're not home.

Our dog means we'll hear anyone coming in the drive or over the lawn.

My neigbour has a sign on his door saying his house is protected by (fill in the blank), 3 nights a week...........YOUR GUESS!....................another option8O

"our" house is protected by extreme poverty....

:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Quoting Taloola:
"" Drug addicts get up every day, and go to work robbing others, just like we go to work to

I am not afraid, but I am 'aware', and it is no different for me to be in my house with a locked door, or unlocked door, I don't walk around in fear, I just feel more secure""

So, a locked door means your insurance company will pay for your stolen "stuff". if you're not home.

Our dog means we'll hear anyone coming in the drive or over the lawn.

My neigbour has a sign on his door saying his house is protected by (fill in the blank), 3 nights a week...........YOUR GUESS!....................another option8O

"our" house is protected by extreme poverty....

That works, good stragety, or, maybe not, maybe its genuine, and that's OK too.
having lots of money is highly overated, has taken me a long time to learn that.
and that isn't by having lots of it, it's because I'm wiser now, and know that material
things don't make happiness, just need 3 squares a day, a good people around you.
but, if my number gets picked, I won't turn it down.;-) I will enjoy dolling it out to
all the happy faces and bright eyes, around the table.

reminds me of 'when' we travelled extensively down through the western u.s. and all over
from 'here to there and everywhere'. We didn't drive an expensive vehicle, and we didn't
dress in obvious touristy duds, we blended in, and looked like the locals, well, not
always, I wouldn't want to look like some I've seen, but you know what I mean, don't
'stand out' in a crowd.'

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
That works, good stragety, or, maybe not, maybe its genuine, and that's OK too.
having lots of money is highly overated, has taken me a long time to learn that.
and that isn't by having lots of it, it's because I'm wiser now, and know that material
things don't make happiness, just need 3 squares a day, a good people around you.
but, if my number gets picked, I won't turn it down.;-) I will enjoy dolling it out to
all the happy faces and bright eyes, around the table.

reminds me of 'when' we travelled extensively down through the western u.s. and all over
from 'here to there and everywhere'. We didn't drive an expensive vehicle, and we didn't
dress in obvious touristy duds, we blended in, and looked like the locals, well, not
always, I wouldn't want to look like some I've seen, but you know what I mean, don't
'stand out' in a crowd.'

From 1972 to 1985 went to Myrtle Beach. Blend in or not Wilmington N.C. is the worst place to go through in the u.s.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From 1972 to 1985 went to Myrtle Beach. Blend in or not Wilmington N.C. is the worst place to go through in the u.s.

That's very interesting to know, as I know nothing about that area, except what I
picture, and that is many many beautiful golf courses, one right after the other,
everything else is blank, how dumb that must seem, but, as a golfer, (should restate,
someone who likes to golf), I have read lots of brochures over the years, and i'm sure
you know, that area is famous for them.

My grandson has a 'scholarship' for golf, and he will be attending the university at
Louieville this fall, he actually chose that one, as he went there for an interview, and
instantly liked it, and the people as well, and said it is very nice rolling hills and lots of farms on the way to the golf course. Do you know much about that area?
All I know is that is where the 'Kentucky Derby' is run, the end of my knowledge.

Last edited:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
That's very interesting to know, as I know nothing about that area, except what I
picture, and that is many many beautiful golf courses, one right after the other,
everything else is blank, how dumb that must seem, but, as a golfer, (should restate,
someone who likes to golf), I have read lots of brochures over the years, and i'm sure

My grandson has a 'scholarship' for golf, and he will be attending the university at
Louieville this fall, he actually chose that one, as he went there for an interview, and
instantly liked it, and the people as well, and said it is very nice rolling hills and lots of farms on the way to the golf course. Do you know much about that area?
All I know is that is where the 'Kentucky Derby' is run, the end of my knowledge.

Wilmington is a Navy town. Myrtle Beach is as you have described it, or was the last time I was there.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Wowser!! Congrats to your grandson, Taloola, and to your kids for the help they must have given him along the way..............And to gramma, of course; without whom this all would not have been possible.........:lol:

The child of a buddy went to school in the US on just such a scholarship. Wound up playing pro for a bit, earned a degree, took up golf course construction. Was going great guns the last we heard. Making money and having a good life.

Good on him!!...;-)

:thumbleft:

conman19

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton isn't that dangerous, its just a big city. Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal, they all have their bad neighbourhoods, and almost any citizen in Edmonton will tell you that Mill Woods is one of our violent neighbourhoods. I dont think Edmonton is any more dangerous than any other big city in Canada.