Edmonton teacher suspended for giving 0s

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I see what the teacher has done as a symptom of the disorder, not the cause of it.

What is the flip side here? All the teachers that comply with a bad policy well they were only following orders.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Thank goodness for teachers with common sense. We need to smarten our kids up, the rest of the world will eat us up if we don't. Sheesh in Japan kids are probably commiting hare kare if they don't get their assignments done on time, and here our kids see no reason to even do the assignment. That needs to change.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thank goodness for teachers with common sense. We need to smarten our kids up, the rest of the world will eat us up if we don't. Sheesh in Japan kids are probably commiting hare kare if they don't get their assignments done on time, and here our kids see no reason to even do the assignment. That needs to change.
But it's better for their self esteem if everybody is a winner.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The workplace is not a democracy. The time for reasoned argument is during policy formulation. Once policy is set, the employee can decide to abide by the decision or work elsewhere.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Winner? What's that? Something you keep score for? :)
No, scores are for mean people, and Asians.

Hell, even in the boys last few years of Cadets, that silly policy of everybody is a winner was slowly infecting that once stellar organization.

It breeds mediocrity.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But it's better for their self esteem if everybody is a winner.

Bring out the participation trophies!

The workplace is not a democracy. The time for reasoned argument is during policy formulation. Once policy is set, the employee can decide to abide by the decision or work elsewhere.

Fair enough, the workplace is not a democracy but there still exists right and wrong. As far as I see, he's taking a stand against it. Policy, particularly of a public school board, can always be changed. I'd be willing to bet next to no one actually knew of this 'policy' until he took a stand against it.

But it's public now. And school board trustees are elected.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A "no zero" policy makes no sense. If the student doesnt hand in anything why give them any sort of credit? If for some reason the student hands in the assignment but the teacher doesnt recieve it there are steps that can be followed. That situation happened to me about six months ago. It took nearly a month to straighten out. But thats university, I doubt that situation would happen much in elementary or high school.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Fair enough, the workplace is not a democracy but there still exists right and wrong. As far as I see, he's taking a stand against it. Policy, particularly of a public school board, can always be changed. I'd be willing to bet next to no one actually knew of this 'policy' until he took a stand against it.

But it's public now. And school board trustees are elected.

It was a local school policy - a school decision.
Of course, change can be effected; but, not by defiance but by argument, appeals to school council, at staff and department meetings, letters to trustees, union grievances, and so on.

But, students must not be the pawns in a power play.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
As a child who was ADHD to the extreme i didnt hand in alot of assignments. i was aware of the fact i wasnt doing the homework.... It wasnt that i didnt care about the school work, i loved learning but i couldnt focus at home around the many distractions.... Eventually i learned the tough way through alot of zeros and ive learned to complete my work on time..... Distractions or no distractions.... Thats being a tactile learner if you ask me :).....

If their are too many distractions at the home, then i believe that the school should receive funding to fund after school study groups, or the student council should form after school study groups... As for the kids who dont actually care, ****-em they can learn the hard way... :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
"Parents are largely unaware of the policy, as teachers were instructed not to speak about it, he said."

Now, why do you think this gag order was placed?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It was a local school policy - a school decision.
Of course, change can be effected; but, not by defiance but by argument, appeals to school council, at staff and department meetings, letters to trustees, union grievances, and so on.

I don't randomly advocate subversion or rebellion as a means to achieve an end. But I do also think that there are times when we do have to stand up for what we believe in. Sometimes argument is necessary.

But, students must not be the pawns in a power play.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that's what this guy is doing. Harm to the students is being done by way of this policy. When he states it's a matter of conscience, I believe him. He's taking a stand for what he believes in. I've got to respect him for that.

Beenthere

May 31, 2012
Yes, I read what the school board is saying, I call bullshyte on that.[/QUOTE]

Un huh. This issue has been going around for a decade now, though most of the public doesn't know that, and there is no school board policy really, except a declaration of intention based on the newest "Literacy" document. Most teachers I know are reluctant to give zeros and go far out of their way to make students do the work. It's VERY time-consuming to be chasing students all the time. However, Alberta Education routinely gives zeros for Diploma Exams that have been missed. Hmmm.... are they unenlightened? As for giving a 1 instead of zero, that's just dishonest. And "no" to those who think this is just an issue of insubordination. Mr. Dorval has just opened a can of worms that many teachers would like to open. And yes, it has been hotly debated amongst teachers for a decade now - not something new. All that's new-ish is that there really isn't any debate at all as far as boards and administrators go. Butts in seats = dollars for schools. That's the disgraceful bottom line. We parents need to speak up and LOUDLY!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
A mark of 1 for an incomplete or missed assignment? What would happen in the real world....when they have to work for a living? You get a pass for not completing assignments? You get a pat on the back for trying?

Sounds like absolute nonsense. As a teacher of 37 years I encountered scores of students who would simply refuse to write a single exam or hand in a single assignment if such a policy existed. This hardly promotes any sort of work ethic. Do students in this school expect that when they graduate they will be paid for not showing up for work or sleeping on the job?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I think we are making assumptions here, that in the school there were no consequences for missing assignments or tests, and that missed work did not affect grades.
Besides, I have no idea what a mark, say of 72 in Grade 11 Dutch, represents.
Hypothetical:
Suppose you had twin girls in Grade 11. One was taking Dutch from Teacher A and one from Teacher B. One twin receives a 67 on a test, and the other a mark of 82 on the same unit. What are your conclusions?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
A mark of 1 for an incomplete or missed assignment? What would happen in the real world....when they have to work for a living? You get a pass for not completing assignments? You get a pat on the back for trying?
Apparently the teachers aren't in the real world. Anytime a teacher is criticized or disciplined by superiors they make it a national news story.