Economic Action Dud: Canada loses 46,000 jobs, unemployment rate climbs to 7.2%

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
As far as a "potash pipeline", I have no idea. I don't know anything about that.

When it comes to the current pipelines being proposed, I don't even care that much if they are built or not. All I am arguing here is that it isn't necessarily a boon for jobs.

You need to look at both direct and indirect employment.

2 pipelines, one East and one West will cost in the billions, and a huge chunk of that money goes to paying the employee base required to get this done

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
No it's not. Far less jobs than a pipeline.

You are going to have to start responding with much more detail if you want this discussion to get anywhere.

How do you figure that it requires more jobs to operate a pipeline than is does to move the same amount of oil by rail? Once a pipeline is up and running, the amount of manpower required is pretty minimal(relatively, of course).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You are going to have to start responding with much more detail if you want this discussion to get anywhere.

How do you figure that it requires more jobs to operate a pipeline than is does to move the same amount of oil by rail? Once a pipeline is up and running, the amount of manpower required is pretty minimal(relatively, of course).
No oil is moved to port or refineries by truck.

Rail oil filling stations aren't fed by truck and are mainly automated with one man doing what 10 used to.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You need to look at both direct and indirect employment.

2 pipelines, one East and one West will cost in the billions, and a huge chunk of that money goes to paying the employee base required to get this done

I am not arguing that the construction won't create jobs during the construction of the pipeline. I am saying that long term, the entire point of the pipeline is to cut down on the amount of manpower required to move oil around. A lot of people are currently employed moving oil by rail and trucks.

No oil is moved to port or refineries by truck.

You realize that is exactly the point of the pipelines too, right?

Rail oil filling stations aren't fed by truck and are mainly automated with one man doing what 10 used to.

We are not making comparisons to yesteryear, we are looking at what takes more manpower today. Pipelines, or rail/trucks?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Pipes because there are no jobs in trucks and rail is automated.

Pipes have more jobs spread all along the line. You see it's not just a pipeline. It's an "energy corridor".

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I am not arguing that the construction won't create jobs during the construction of the pipeline. I am saying that long term, the entire point of the pipeline is to cut down on the amount of manpower required to move oil around. A lot of people are currently employed moving oil by rail and trucks.

Rail is relatively recent and the trucking component is still in play to get crude from the batteries to the terminals/refineries.

You are missing the big picture economics here in that getting Western crude to Asia and Europe opens new markets and fetches a better commodity price. This in turn spurs the industry, investment and indirect employment, not to mention that the iBanks in TO, steel mfgrs in Ont and a myriad of professional services like engineering companies now are hiring to take on these multi year contracts.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rail is relatively recent and the trucking component is still in play to get crude from the batteries to the terminals/refineries.
And hundreds of thousands of km of 4" and 6" latticing AB and SK collecting oil.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've mentioned elsewhere that Canada's unemployment rate is forecast to overtake Britain's this year.

Canada's unemployment rate is rising. It has now climbed to 7.2%. Britain's is predicted to fall from 7.4% to 7% in 2014.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
AB and Sask are still shy of around 50,000 jobs.

Much of Canada's unemployment is a sheer matter of those that won't go to where the work is.

It is to the point that the gvt is providing tax relief to those companies that need to find temporary foreign workers

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Pipes because there are no jobs in trucks and rail is automated.

Pipes have more jobs spread all along the line. You see it's not just a pipeline. It's an "energy corridor".

Lol, since when is rail automated? We don't allow trains full of oil to zip around the country without a crew on board.

You yourself said that trucks are used.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
A crew of three even if the train is 30 cars or 150 with drones in the middle and back.

That is a lot of manpower compared to what a pipeline requires.

Think about it. If it wasn't cheaper to move oil by pipeline, why would they be fighting this hard to be allowed to do it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That is a lot of manpower compared to what a pipeline requires.

Think about it. If it wasn't cheaper to move oil by pipeline, why would they be fighting this hard to be allowed to do it?
Pipelines require manned pumping and lift stations, PM crews, daily fly overs and Provincial utilities to run it from one end to the other.

Rail crude minor compared to the grain, intermodal, auto, potash, lumber, coal and chemcials and has to compete for the limited line capacity.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I dunno. Seem sto me that many of the factors that contribute to unemployment have bugger all to do with domestic economic policy. The global marketplace is sucha driver that the acts of national governments one way or the other (short of outright theft and corruption) are just scribbling in the margins.

Even the vilified banksters don't have much control. It's all pretty a machine that runs on its own subject to no law or rule and more or less a function of randomness.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And if your most valuable and marketable resources and food exports were land locked?

Have you ever looked at the Asia Pacific Gateway project as a whole?

Not just oil but all of Western Canadian and America exports and imports?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Pipelines require manned pumping and lift stations, PM crews, daily fly overs and Provincial utilities to run it from one end to the other.

Rail crude minor compared to the grain, intermodal, auto, potash, lumber, coal and chemcials and has to compete for the limited line capacity.

You honestly think that they would want to build pipelines if it were cheaper to move oil by rail?