Duchess of Cambridge goes into labour

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince William plays in charity polo match

Prince William was presented with a child's polo mallet after the match and joked: ''Is it nappies?''

The Duke of Cambridge took a brief break from parental duties following the birth of his son, Prince George, as he played in a charity polo match.

Prince William joked that it was "good to get out of the house" - but said he had to buy some nappies for his son, born on 22 July, on his way home.

He also added: "I've got to make sure I'm not too late back!"

The prince said his son "likes to move around a lot, he wriggles a lot, he keeps us on our toes".

He scored the winning goal in the match, which was his first public appearance since Prince George was born.

The duke (right) scored the winning goal while his brother Prince Harry (left), who has just moved from third to fourth in line to the throne, was also on target

The match, in which his brother Prince Harry also played, was the 11th annual challenge game in support of charities SkillForce and the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, of which Prince William is patron and president respectively.

The duke is currently on paternity leave from his job as an RAF search and rescue pilot.

Meanwhile, Prince Charles received presents and cards for his grandson from well wishers as he attended the Mey Games - the world's smallest Highland games competition - in Caithness.

BBC News - Prince William plays in charity polo match

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Duchess and her newborn prince get the biblical look in graffiti art inspired by the Virgin Mary

Daily Mail
10 August 2013

The Duchess of Cambridge and newborn Prince George have been immortalised in an unofficial graffiti portrait inspired by an iconic image of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus.

The artwork, painted by anonymous North London street artist Pegasus, depicts Kate Middleton clothed in Mary’s blue robes, cradling George in her arms.

The image, inspired by the 14th Century painting Madonna And Child by Italian artist Duccio di Buoninsegna, was created in honour of the arrival of the future King of England.

Perfect: The Duchess of Cambridge depicted as the Virgin Mary holding Prince George, by London street artist Pegasus

‘I knew I had to do something to mark the birth and this seemed like the perfect way to portray Kate,’ Pegasus, 28, said.

‘She has everything; she is a beautiful princess and she is worshipped in her own way.

'I know that some people will find it offensive but I hope that most see that it was intended as a compliment.'

Naked: Prince Harry found a new home in a portrait by Pegasus at the skate park along the Embankment in London

‘I did think about making it slightly more controversial. I thought about doing a black baby but I thought that people might take that in the wrong way.’

The painting, which is due to be exhibited at the Hoxton Arches gallery in London’s East End next month, is the fifth Royal portrait by Pegasus.

Another, in the bathrooms of the Winchester Bar in Angel, central London, depicts a fully nude Prince Harry, inspired by the images of him while he was holidaying in Las Vegas.

Read more: Duchess and her newborn prince get the biblical look in graffiti art inspired by the Virgin Mary | Mail Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's one grandpa took! First official royal baby portrait taken by Kate's dad (but sorry Mr Middleton, Snowdon you ain't)

• Michael Middleton took the official portrait at their family home in Berkshire and even included dogs Lupo and Tilly
  • Pictures show a smiling Duke and Duchess of Cambridge holding a sleeping Prince George in the sunny garden
  • Critics say the photographs are charming but technically poor as he shot into the light
  • Sources said the couple chose not to have a professional photographer so not to 'burst the happy little family bubble'
By Rebecca English Royal Correspondent
20 August 2013
Daily Mail

A future king sleeps peacefully in the arms of his doting mother in a family snapshot... taken by his grandfather.

Previous royal heirs, Prince William included, have had their first official portraits taken by society legends such as Sir Cecil Beaton and Lord Snowdon.

But Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge owes his to a humble ‘point and shoot’ wielded by Kate’s father, Michael Middleton.

Sun and heir: Mr Middleton opted to shoot straight into the light for his snapshot of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and baby George, and managed to cut off the nose of retriever Tilly, left. The Cambridge's cocker spaniel Lupo, right, emerged unscathed

That's better: Mr Middleton's second photo produces much more appealing results, with the couple and their sleeping prince emerging from the blinding sunlight

And the setting? The Middletons’ sun-dappled back garden in Berkshire, with family pets Lupo and Tilly even getting in on the act.

The finished result may have charm but is technically poor and lacks the gravitas of previous official photographs, according to experts.

Critics will also no doubt seize on Mr Middleton’s decision to break the cardinal rule of photography – shooting into the light.

But according to celebrity photographer Brian Aris, the snapshots are ‘refreshing’.

He told the Mail: ‘It’s an unusual decision but perhaps reflects the young approach that Prince William wants to bring to bear.

‘The decision to take them in such an informal manner means they, perhaps, lack the level of gravitas that would normally be expected.

'But on the whole I would say this is quite refreshing.’

The boy who will be king: Prince George in his mother's arms

He added: ‘Taking a professional portrait of a young baby is quite an intrusive procedure, given the lighting and strobes you would need.

‘So perhaps they have had the right idea after all. It’s just a different approach and the images are rather charming.’

Kensington Palace said the photographs were taken with an inexpensive camera in early August while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were staying with internet millionaires Carole and Michael Middleton at their £4.8million Berkshire mansion.

Both photos show the couple posing with George, who is swaddled in the same shawl by Nottinghamshire firm G H Hurt and Son Ltd that he left hospital in.

Was THIS the maestro's first effort? Mr Middleton, top, took this photo of wife Carole and daughter Kate in 1982

Similar: Mr Middleton's pictures of the Royals on the grass in his Berkshire garden echo those of the young Prince William with his parents Princess Diana and Prince Charles taken in the grounds of Government House in Auckland, New Zealand

Kate is wearing a £46 fuchsia-coloured knot front dress by maternity wear firm Seraphine, but appears to have shed a great deal of her baby weight.

William is casually dressed in a blue checked shirt, tucked into jeans, and his favourite African-style belt.

Both look a little baggy-eyed due to lack of sleep – the prince more than his wife – but are clearly overjoyed at being parents to a beautiful, healthy baby boy.

Traditional: Cecil Beaton's 1948 photo of Prince Charles with his mother Princess Elizabeth (top) and the formal portrait of Prince William and his parents by Lord Snowdon in 1982

Read more: Prince George: First official royal baby photo with Duke and Duchess of Cambridge taken by Kate Middleton's dad | Mail Online

Last edited: