Don't buy insurance from Manulife.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would never buy travel health if it didn't come with first payer coverage, ie the insurance company arranges and pays for medical. Paying first then trying to collect is crazy. Unfortunately people will spend $10,000 on a trip but cut corners to save $20 bucks on the cheapest health insurance they can find.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's sad. I wish people would actually read their policies, though. I guess some people just don't realize that if there's any way possible to squeeze money out of people, ins. companies will do it and they do NOT care about people.
Personally we have read ours, have been with the same ins. company for quite a while, and wouldn't get Manulife anyway. Not only that they have annoying ads on tv so that makes us even less likely to patronize the company.

I expect some people do read their insurance polices and still get screwed. The problem is that insurance companies make the application forms deliberately complicated, hoping for an error that will let them off the hook. If I were the couple in question I would do what they have done, go to the media. But I would also go farther than that. I expect that if this was challenged in court they would probably win.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I expect some people do read their insurance polices and still get screwed. The problem is that insurance companies make the application forms deliberately complicated, hoping for an error that will let them off the hook. If I were the couple in question I would do what they have done, go to the media. But I would also go farther than that. I expect that if this was challenged in court they would probably win.

Yep- perhaps the words "in good faith" need to take precedence over "fine print".

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
They had a good report on this on Marketplace, (yes, I watch CBC at times). The lawyer they interviewed used to work for an insurance company and said the forms are terribly misleading. The travel agents are terribly uninformed, and they are the ones who sell the policies, even reps from the insurance companies, when called upon for clarification, don't seem to have a clue. The questionaires are drawn up by legal teams, so even getting your doctor's help to fill them out is like getting your plumber to fix your wiring. I get an annual ECG which is mandatory for anyone in my profession over age 40 for license renewal. This would be deemed "treatment" even though I'me not being treated for anything, its a trap. Our group plan covers out of country expenses, the travel insurance industry targets those over 60 who are most likely to be no longer covered by employer plans.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
...and then seek consultation. Sorry, but if YOU can't read something, are YOU going to sign it?? YES or NO ??!!

It's to bad they are elderly..

O.K, another thing.. They owed $346,000 US in medical bills after their claim was denied. Well let's see, there is an International border between Canada & the USA.

They live in Canada, if they have no assets in the USA??

They can try and collect, but.. best of luck to the hospital. They have no right to sue in Canada, services were provided in the USA.

Actually, the problem here is that they did not know what was in their medical records. In fact, very few people do. In this day and age, there is no reason why a person should even have to fill out such a questionnaire. Given that manulife was able to acquire the medical record to determine that their answers were inconsistent with the medical record, what business did they have asking the questions in the first place?

Insurance policies are always a bad idea, on a balance of probabilities. If an insurance company can make money, then it means that you are not getting your money's worth of health care. This is the whole idea behind socialized medicine.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Charge a $25 co-payment per visit to the doctors office and $50 co-payment to the Hospital.

1 it would slow down the abuse of people misusing the system. Going to emergency for a soar throat, rather than making an appointment with the doctor.

2. It would compensate the doctor, and the hospitals..

3. I think it would solve some financial shortfalls in our medical system.

It might slow down frivolous visits, but it would also have the effect of dissuading people to go to the doctor or hospital. Especially the poorest, who would then end up going only for an emergency, which is far more costly than preventative medicine.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Insurance is about the many paying for the needs of the few.

Screwing the few out of their claim is unethical and intolerable.

An insurance company is only as good as the trust that they are able to build. If this company can't be trusted, I suggest that everyone think twice before doing business with them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't think any brokers should tell that to too many clients. :lol:

I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".

It wasn't a broker. It was an adjuster. They are the ones hired by insurance companies to screw you out of your money after you file a claim. Not the ones that sell you false coverage in the first place.
In my case I had a machine burn up and the insurance company would only pay out on what they claimed was the auction value of the machine, about half the value they were charging me premiums on.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I would never buy travel health if it didn't come with first payer coverage, ie the insurance company arranges and pays for medical. Paying first then trying to collect is crazy. Unfortunately people will spend $10,000 on a trip but cut corners to save $20 bucks on the cheapest health insurance they can find.

I purchase thru the travel agency - Not these others - Pay a tad more but coverage is better.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
These are elderly people the story is about and a lot of elders can only see large print!
What? No kids, other relatives, friends, etc. to read for them?

I think the best bet would be to buy ALL insurance through BCAA (CAA). They seem pretty good at pointing out little "hangups".
Been getting travel insurance from them for years. They have good policies.

If I didn't understand an insurance policy I would either start looking elsewhere or I`d spend the $75 my lawyer wants to explain it to me. Even 10 times $75 would be cheaper than risking my ins. company saying "Sorry, you're not covered, suck it up, buttercup and pay the bill".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If I didn't understand an insurance policy I would either start looking elsewhere or I`d spend the $75 my lawyer wants to explain it to me. Even 10 times $75 would be cheaper than risking my ins. company saying "Sorry, you're not covered, suck it up, buttercup and pay the bill".

Can you trust lawyers 100%? You might save $75 by reading the fine print and then typing it up as you understand it and take that into your insurance agent to sign. Then you should have him by the balls!

You might also show it to your doctor to ensure he is going to corroborate the info you've provided. (if he'll do it without billing you )

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Can you trust lawyers 100%?
On some things. It's worth his while to be honest with me.
You might save $75 by reading the fine print and then typing it up as you understand it and take that into your insurance agent to sign. Then you should have him by the balls!
Whatever works for you.

You might also show it to your doctor to ensure he is going to corroborate the info you've provided. (if he'll do it without billing you )
Whatever works.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's really consumer protection that is the problem here. Long sentences with multiple conditions lumped in together is poor form. Make the questionaires easy, one answer for one subject in the question. Unambiguous yes or no answers. That's what it could take to do business here in Canada. The older generation is a big voting bloc, I'm sure someone could make a proposal that the government would like. And right now, I'm sure they would love the distraction. :D

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It wasn't a broker. It was an adjuster. They are the ones hired by insurance companies to screw you out of your money after you file a claim. Not the ones that sell you false coverage in the first place.

Wrong.

If an adjuster screws up, you can at least claim for damages, whereas a broker will claim that you signed and agreed to the policy they sold you so it's not their fault. It should go without saying that adjusters will try to get the best deal for the insurance company, but they have to abide by some strict insurance standards or they'll be acting in bad faith.