Do You Think the U.S. will someday occupy Canada???

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Do You Think the U.S.

Daz_Hockey said:
Think about this "slightly" related one though:

Well, from what I've read, if circumstances were slightly different, the Japanese would have attacked Russia assisting Nazi Germany, Beating Russia and taking Siberia with....

well, it is certainly true to say that if Russia fell (before US entrance into the war), Britain would have fallen too.....and if the british empire happened to fall like the french one, then a Vishey Government would generally be set up in most of her dominions and colonies....including Canada, most south American states were Fascist then , so think about it.....if Canada sided vishey-like or were threatened the US would be in some SERIOUS trouble north, south east and west, Canada would virtually be it's last stop....

My point is, that in the past and now, Canada is far too strategically important for and violent acts against it.

Wait a minute, here. You're making some pretty far-fetched assumptions based on historical circumstances that will never repeat. Let's not forget that technologies like radar, for example, were not commonly used prior to World War II. Let's also remember that the Japanese only succeeded in bombing Pearl Harbour because the U.S. had ignored early radar warnings, and weren't prepared defensively.

Fast forward to the modern world...

Technology like satelite imaging, radar, and various other surveillance technologies, make it virtually impossible for any large troop movement to occur without raising red flags. Let's not forget America's discovery of Soviet missiles in Cuba either. So your scenario really lacks foundation.

In reality, if Japan had attempted to bomb Pearl Harbour today, their advance would be detected long before they were ever in striking distance. The U.S. would be on high alert, and they would move swiftly into defensive maneuvres.

Of course, the likelihood of Pearl Harbour repeating is so remote as to be literally impossible. There would be no strategic defensive benefit derived from the U.S. invading Canada. Modern technology virtually, but not entirely, eliminates the necessity for defense installations in Canada.

Oh, and ICBMs from foreign countries would in no way be hindered by the U.S. occupying Canada. If an ICBM is headed your way, you have two choices: 1) shoot it down, or 2) duck and run.

Don't forget that the Canadian and American forces already work quite closely together. The cooperate on everything from intelligence gathering to training and war games. There's really just no military benefit to acquiring Canada. Especially when you consider that the U.S. would have to initiate war to occupy Canada in the first place.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
They did have a plan.

From the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901412_pf.html

The United States government does have a plan to invade Canada. It's a 94-page document called "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red," with the word SECRET stamped on the cover. It's a bold plan, a bodacious plan, a step-by-step plan to invade, seize and annex our neighbor to the north. It goes like this:

First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.

Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.

Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports.

At that point, it's only a matter of time before we bring these Molson-swigging, maple-mongering Zamboni drivers to their knees! Or, as the official planners wrote, stating their objective in bold capital letters: "ULTIMATELY TO GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL."

It sounds like a joke but it's not. War Plan Red is real. It was drawn up and approved by the War Department in 1930, then updated in 1934 and 1935. It was declassified in 1974 and the word "SECRET" crossed out with a heavy pencil. Now it sits in a little gray box in the National Archives in College Park, available to anybody, even Canadian spies. They can photocopy it for 15 cents a page.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Do You Think the U.S.

Hopefully since it's been declassified, they've given up on the idea. They are however protecting their borders against us (in a manner that perceives us to be a threat). A way that I never imaged I would see in my lifetime.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

Oh please!

The US can take Canada by buying into the elements that control its economy (business). It already does this.

Just like if China wanted to "occupy" Canada, they can simply buy into business, as it is starting to do now. There will not be some cold war two with a Chinese-Russian alliance trying to invade North America!

I cannot predict the future, but would imagine that a US occupation is highly unlikely.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

So basically, the US already has access to what it needs with few strings attached: the economy.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

elevennevele said:
Hopefully since it's been declassified, they've given up on the idea. They are however protecting their borders against us (in a manner that perceives us to be a threat). A way that I never imaged I would see in my lifetime.

Are you kidding me? That plan was declassified in the seventies for a reason: It's a joke!

I suppose the military planners of the thirties never envisioned things like telecommunications. That plan would never work. It might have worked in the thirties, but in the fifties and beyond -- not a chance.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Simpleton said:
Are you kidding me? That plan was declassified in the seventies for a reason: It's a joke!

I suppose the military planners of the thirties never envisioned things like telecommunications. That plan would never work. It might have worked in the thirties, but in the fifties and beyond -- not a chance.

Yes, I did read it, you know. Please people. How dated the plan is should be so plainly obvious. They didn't take into account the much developed west.

I’m only showing that there was even a plan out there which is quite amazing in itself. It’s only conversation at this point. I do however have a perspective and the article does conclude with such. Click the link and read it. It jokes about the idea.

Come on. Some are taking me way too seriously for sharing it. I just figured most people didn’t know a plan to invade Canada was actually out there.

(more)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901412_pf.html

The planners did not specify exactly what would be done with those undesirables. But it would be kinda fun to see Celine Dion and Mike Myers wearing orange jumpsuits down in Guantanamo.

Eh?

Claudius

Electoral Member
May 23, 2006

I just figured most people didn’t know a plan to invade Canada was actually out there.

They have numerous plans and contingencies laid out in case of alien attack too.

These and the plan to invade Canada share the same degree of likelihood.

Just saying.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Why would the USA waste billions in invading Canada, and pretty much chaosing economic chaos in Canada, when the USA already economically dominates Canada. It is better for the USA to keep Canada how it is then to ruin us and deminish their own trade with us by war.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Simpleton, I agree, the Japanese really couldnt hope to do much against the US....

Thats why I didnt say "hypothetically" they could have...no, I think the main problem would have been from Nazi Germany and it's facist allies to the south actually, if it had somehow "inherited" the mighty British fleet, like they would have gotten the french one...it could have been all over for the shouting anyway, there would be no spanish, french or italian fleet waiting outside harbour to stop them then, their only hope would have had to have been their allies to the north (if they didnt side with the vichy british that is).

But that's all hypothetical, and your right I'm taking a few liberties, but fact is, the US will never invade Canada, do you think the Canadian people will allow it?, even Finder here in the most "Americanized" of Canadian cities doesnt rate the idea

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
War plan red was a plan to invade Canada as Canada was seen being part of the British Empire. I know some Canadians have a hard time accepting this fact and only see themselves as Canadians, but the fact of the matter is, that's how you were seen. This was a long time ago.

And the question is not phrased properly, it should read "Do you think Canadians will stop arguing with each other and stay united?".

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

ITN has hit the nail on the head, seriously, he's got a point, if ur candian, go and see General Brock's memorial near niagara, your tour guide will say "oh yeah, it's not fair though, america had all these american hero's and all we had was British ones..."

fact is it's one in the same, Canada is Red and white because of Britain, it's mounted police ceremonialy dress like that because of the red coats, simply, just remember the facts about where you came from and focus ur future goals, and dont make the mistake my "Beaver tour's" tourguide made.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
In the end, the US invading Canada is pretty much a worst case scenario. If it ever gets to there, everything will be all wrong everywhere...

The question is should we expect the 21st century to unfold in a series of worst case scenarios?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Eleven, interesting post! I'd read about such a plan some time ago and your addition here sparked a few cells.

Will the US invade Canada? I think the better question would be: will Canada still be here in a hundred years? History is all about change. Most of that change results in response to decisions made by people yesterday and today. I strongly believe that if you were privy to a map of the world 2106 that you wouldn't identify much of North America. I don't think the US will be the largest direct catalyst for change here. A number of variables are in the works and will require a gestation period. A century is a very long stretch in geopolitical time.

I believe Canada's multicultural model will break down as competing cultures reach critical mass and aspire to independence. Add in the possibility of major epidemics - long overdue according to key scientists and health authorities - and the effect they might have on the world and domestic economy ; the growing threat of accelerating climate change due to global warming and the ramifications for cities and continent-wide population patterns; the likely fact that as a power the US has already peaked and the challenge that represents to Canada who has unerringly assumed big brother and protector would always be there. All of this will contribute to a virulence of instability in the future.
We won't survive in our present form.

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
Re: RE: Do You Think the U.S. will someday occupy Canada???

jimmoyer said:
Actually some guy (not George Noray or Art Bell) on that
late night radio show Coast to Coast is advertising
to the Aliens Invaders that Canadians taste better
because of Canadian Bacon.
Now that is funny. :lol:

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
I highly doubt the Americans would physically invade to take us over, however as others have pointed out, in many ways we are slowly being assimilated into their way of life. The borders between us are very thin and they already own so many of our major corporations. It will be the greed of Canadians accepting their money and selling off some of our most valuable resources that will be the death of Canada.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
neone said:
I highly doubt the Americans would physically invade to take us over, however as others have pointed out, in many ways we are slowly being assimilated into their way of life. The borders between us are very thin and they already own so many of our major corporations. It will be the greed of Canadians accepting their money and selling off some of our most valuable resources that will be the death of Canada.

I always find it funny when people say that Canada and Canadians are slowly being assimilated into that overbearing "American" culture. I find it funny, because when I look at how Canada and the United States have evolved over the centuries, I see two countries that have never really had any great differences. Canadian culture parallels that of the US just as much today as it did a century ago.

The real difference that I see between Canada and the United States, is that Canada refuses to surrender its ties to the British monarchy. In just about every other way, shape or form, Canada has always been a carbon copy of the United States. I don't attribute this to a dominant American culture, I believe it more to be a factor of our common British roots.

Whether we like it or not, Canada and the United States are minimally half-siblings. We share the same mother, but the bloodlines have diverged somewhat over the years. We used to be the exact same people before the the Americans tossed caution to the wind and denounced British imperial rule. To this day, it is really just the refusal to take it up the ass, that separates the men from the boys, if you will. Americans moved out of their parents home, and Canadians stayed in the basement.

So yeah, I kind of laugh when I hear people talk about assimilation and the effect that American culture is having on Canada. We're the same people, it's just that the Americans grew up, and the Canadians refuse to do so.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Finder said:
Why would the USA waste billions in invading Canada, and pretty much chaosing economic chaos in Canada, when the USA already economically dominates Canada. It is better for the USA to keep Canada how it is then to ruin us and deminish their own trade with us by war.

Actually, Finder.. I think it would be the other way around: Invading Canada would cause more economic chaos in the US than it would in Canada. Could you picture US cities in the dark and fuel becoming inaccessable because of Canadian boycotts (ie: Rebelling)?

This thread is so off-target that there's really nothing to talk about except for whatever your own mind can come up with.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Furthermore..

To this day, it is really just the refusal to take it up the ass, that separates the men from the boys, if you will. Americans moved out of their parents home, and Canadians stayed in the basement.

What a terrible analogy.