Do you really know Narcissistic Psychopathy?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Wow - this situation describes my 1st marriage to a T and brings back bad memories. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to get physically out of the situation; mentally, it took some time. He was was wonderful in the 2 years we knew each other and the year we dated until the wedding was over and changed literally overnight! I still can't believe how the whole thing happened.

While my parents Divorced when I was 15, there had never been violence in my family situation so when he started "batting" me around, I left. No kids, thank heaven so it was easier.

When I married for the second time, the first 4 years were the hardest - just trying to relax and really trust again. I was blessed by a man who is kind, patient and really loves me, so here we are, 34 years later and going strong. In retrospect, I shudder to think what could have been had I not left and where I'd be.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a girlfriend trapped with a man like this as we speak. He of course waited until after she was pregnant and married to him to change completely, drop the mirror as you put it, and show what he was truly like. It's a constant source of stress for my family and our circle of acquaintances. But, with two beautiful little toddlers in the picture, we can't make the tough decisions for her.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Hermite, I hope you continue with the discussion. I think it's cathartic ... not only for you, but maybe for others too. Women that have been in your situation are typically ashamed, and they rarely find a place where they can honestly discuss their memories and experiences without getting the rolly eyes and looks implying that you're exaggerating, or wondering why you didn't just get up and leave.

I just watched a really funny show about two people that hooked up, got pregnant ... and then the baby is born. I think it is the first show I've ever watched that came with a warning that "some adults may find the content offensive". Anyway, it all ended up happy with a video camera, smiles, and family. Watching a show like that can bring women back to the memory of their own birth experiences. I was looking at the video camera ... thinking ... hmmm ... hookup ... family ... camera ... preserving memories. Then I thought back to when my son was born. There were no cameras. In fact, I think the only thing the soon to be first time father remembered to bring to the hospital was a joint. This isn't to suggest he isn't normally responsible with some degree of professionalism ... but that was his frame of mind on that occassion. (that last sentence is the typical comment made to protect the guy that isn't being a good guy)

I don't think your experiences are unusual or unknown, but I do believe there is a cone of silence on the reality of the situation. There is still a public perception that women in those situations deserved it, or they saw it in their own childhood so no wonder they found that situation as an adult, or that they can leave anytime ... it's good to talk about, even anonymously. Discussing one or two different memories here may help refine your book ideas. I'm sure that if you were concerned about the public nature of the discussion ... maybe Andem could figure out a way to make the discussion password request. On the other hand, the public nature of the discussion also brings community awareness and with it, community responsibility.

Guys like this could take a woman to Syria and ditch her just for kicks and giggles ... or because they perceived a "wrong" and wanted to get even.

I have a girlfriend trapped with a man like this as we speak. He of course waited until after she was pregnant and married to him to change completely, drop the mirror as you put it, and show what he was truly like. It's a constant source of stress for my family and our circle of acquaintances. But, with two beautiful little toddlers in the picture, we can't make the tough decisions for her.

Some men change overnight when they get married. Many find that hard to believe, but it's almost as though that man has a facade that he presents, always hiding himself ... a facade that can be maintained for a long time without slipping. He slips a little, but he exlains it's because his last girlfriend was so cruel. He did everything for her, and she screwed him, so he sometimes behaves badly, but he'll make it up. He buys a new dress, or a nice dinner. It's hard to recognize as the cyclical honeymoon/abuse pattern, especially if it's completely new ... like not having the equipment to deal with it. Besides, it starts gentle ... each time escalating just a tiny bit. Anyway, overnight, after the wedding, the facade can drop so fast. The honeymoon abuse cylce is actually a cycle that can be charted like the moon, although sometimes it's every 14 days, not 28. Maybe suggest to your girlfriend that she put a little X in the corner of each day on the calendar to chart the cycle of abuse (generally unpleasant disposition) ... probably makes it easier to work with.

...and we fool ourselves into thinking it will get better.
...and we make excuses for their poor behaviour.
...and for some, even a bad relationship is better than being alone.

Used one or two myself. In the end, I didn't like the person the crazy-making behaviour was painting me. Wanna know how to abuse a narcissist?

...just say NO

That word doesn't come easy to emotional vampire need....

Yes, the word no is very powerful with the controlling, manipulative narcissist. I have to agree that watching a narcissist have a melt down is entertaining ... but when they get over it, it has usually upped the ante ... a bit. Kicks and giggles with a price.

<snip>
A narcissist will collapse and stamp away in accusation and insult when a win cannot be found in his/her mind.

Interesting. A narcissist does stomp away and barricade himself when losing the battle. The narcissist is so inwardly focused, feeling wronged, and wanting to lash out with accusation and insult that personal attacks do not even seem petty or inappropriate for the discussion.

Actually, even a narcissist will piss his pants when confronted with a woman that stands up for herself. The problem is that the narcissist then ups the ante, and before she knows it he has his hands around her neck. Soon after she finds herself with not quite enough for a cup of coffee, her friends and family have stepped back, her car insurance is cancelled, and the phone is missing. Imagine if the phone was missing and while looking for something for dinner, the phone was located in the freezer. That's pretty weird ... that wouldn't happen. That's just plain too weird ... for any woman not to leave right there and then.

Last edited:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Narcissistic psychopathy ... what an odd term to be dicussed on forums ... eh.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nobody changes overnight. People change somewhat over time, but one's innate personality doesn't. The whole point to 'dating' is to find out what sort of person a potential mate really is.

Based on divorce statistics, we are not good at working this out.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nobody changes overnight. People change somewhat over time, but one's innate personality doesn't. The whole point to 'dating' is to find out what sort of person a potential mate really is.

Based on divorce statistics, we are not good at working this out.
They don't change overnight. They change all the while they're window-dressing - morphing into your perfect match. What they really do is hit the brake when they're sure the hook is set hard and fast - ie: take off the mask and revert back to the original.

mayety

Nominee Member
Jul 18, 2010
British Columbia
Eight years after I left that NP Disordered person, I am now back to myself and respect myself, forgetting all the disrespectful things that he had done to me. I found other jobs to do, beginning with volunteering that very year, 2002, meeting people, then finally becoming the computer person I was to be in the business, keep the books, build websites, give instructions, do minor fix-its, by phone or in person. My self respect grew back, but slowly.

Meanwhile I saw, in the newspaper that he sold the Company van, without my signature, sold 2 pieces of his grandmother’s antique furniture,…that he had parentally always treasured, and rented out rooms in the house---all I expect, for income.
Then the Taxation Department began calling me. I said I was no longer involved but this was his landline and this was his cell line. They never bothered me again but he had to go to court to pay 7 years back taxes.

He never ‘protected me’, so why ought I ‘protect’ him? He was brought down, not by me directly, but by his own sense of being ‘above the law’ and his ‘grandiose schemes’.

‘Brought down’, I expect was temporary as they never change and I never did anything so that he would know that I had been [partially] behind it. I never feared him after I left.
M

Happy New Year , Everyone!

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Dec 15, 2001, he telephoned on his way home to say that because of the heavy snowstorm the timing would be off, so let’s go out for dinner. Fine!
At the restaurant he said if I ordered a second glass of wine, he would walk out on me. He had his beer and I had one glass of wine before we ordered. When we ordered he asked for another beer, but I was ‘not allowed’ another wine. I accepted the second glass, he shoved back his chair, threw down a $20 and walked out leaving me on my own. What? Nuts!
I ate my dinner and took my time, called a taxi and the driver took me to the rear of the house where there was a boardwalk leading to the ramp in. It was covered with snow, as was my car which we passed on the way, but the driver ploughed me through it and up to the door.
I went in and noticed first off that the Christmas decorations were gone from the fireplace. I was wiping the wheels of my chair, and finally reached the door to the living room and there he was, drinking a beer and “smoking in the house”. I asked what was going on, as I approached the fireplace to see everything neatly arranged on the hearth and he ‘lost it’. He said I had ruined Christmas!
He flung a toss (Aha! That’s where the name came from!) pillow at a big plant on the coffee table under the front window and sheared all the stems and leaves, then picked up the container and dumped all the earth on the carpet (I had watered that day, so was slightly muddy!) No point in stopping him, so I backed up and watched as he threw his portable phone at the stone fireplace. Shattered! Pulled off his wristwatch and threw it at the fireplace. Shattered! Picked up his beer, took another slug and upended it onto the carpet, then ground out a cigarette in the puddle. He pulled off his turtleneck sweater and ripped it to shreds, then his T-shirt and ripped it to shreds, the went for the wall hangings and broke over his knee all the ones his grandfather had done by hand.
I still said and did nothing. I sat in front of my computer which was to the right of the fireplace and he came toward me with a look in his eyes that meant me and /or my computer. I stared him down and he backed off. I asked him if he were finished and he threw himself onto the sofa, sobbing! I readied for bed, taking my time, then went for him and he was like a little boy needing a mother, as I took his hand and led him to bed, no longer dangerous.
I did no cleanup. The next morning it was all up to him to do, which he did and then said he was going to sell everything , go live under a bridge, then eventually climb up and jump off it. I told him to make sure the bridge was a high one.
Such a snowfall! The next day, after that, he said if I gave him my car keys he would back my car out and clean it off for me. My ! My! How nice!. A first! But why have to back it out?
I was at my computer when he came in and told me that my car was damaged. I was shocked. I went out and it was dented from stem to stern including the roof, but he had already called the police and was making up a story about who it likely was. Immediately I knew he had done that on the Friday evening after leaving the restaurant, then the continuing snowfall covered it up for those next 2 days. $1500.00 damage. He saw to it that my car was completely fixed, and I didn’t even have to pay the deductible. Yep had to be him! I was going to be out of there as soon as I found a decent place to live. He admired my finished car day after day after day and it was June/02 before I found an apartment.

We’re over and done and I know how many times he was in jail and the worst was a drunken car race when he was young, hitting a VW beetle and killing the 15 year old driver.

What he did, at the beginning when we met, was like hold up a mirror on his chest, facing me, and what I saw and heard was him, in agreement with my thoughts and interests, a person in tune with me, the two of us a matched set, never more than slight disagreements, and those were fixed in a moment.
But the mask cannot stay in place forever. It slips. It cracks. Those who are informed would have seen through him. I didn’t. I was an innocent about Narcissistic Psychopathy and to try to explain this to someone who has not experienced it, is like trying to define all the colours to a person blind from birth.

The above was only one of many incidents, after his mask slipped, but trying to leave is another matter. It takes careful planning!

Firstly, I must congratulate you for maintaining a neutral state during his dangerous temper tantrum. Had you given in to emotion he would have badly harmed you. What an incredible lessson. They are out there, everywhere, and not just men. Narcissistic persoanlity disorder is on par with characteristis of psychopathic/sociapathic behaviour. Not every psychopath is a serial killer as some folk tend to believe. Many are office managers, teachers, professors, lawyers, psychiatrists, political leaders, nurses, prison guards, CEOs, some are religious leaders, brothers, parents, sisters, doctors, homeless individuals and the list goes on as these demented folk exisit throughout society. The "mask" requires an enormous amount of energy to keep in place and it must slip eventually. However, it usually slips behind private doors so that no one else is aware of their icy cold selfishness and tremendous need to fed through the pain of others. In this way are they able to continue to, privately, torture their victims (spouses, children) and continue to present an affable, balanced persona to the world. They are incredible actors who manipulate the world to suit and serve themselves without thought or caring of how this affects others.
Were you able to press charges against him successfully for the damage incurred? Or were you satisfied with being free of him? thank you for sharing your story with us.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First the woman thinks it is a horrible challenge to change him because she loves the image of
what she thought he was. And that is the best game card the creep has. He is nice and sorry
he is violent and heartless, back to sorry. It is about control and breaking the woman down it is
not about love or caring. Then there is the, I will stay for the kids sake they need a father and she
is right. They need a father figure, not that particular father. If she stays, the kids are influenced
by his behaviour and the negative pattern starts or may be likely to start with the next generation.
No I have not been directly involved in such a relationship, but I have been the father of a young
lady that got caught up in the game for a number of years.
In the end, she had enough, and when she had enough he couldn't understand why she was being
so mean. I always took the view that it was her business but when she asked for advice I was
consistent, I always told her what he was, and that in the end she would regret waiting around for
a new day that wasn't coming. She finally got up the nerve to leave, in fact the boys were older and
took her side so the idiot had to leave and watching the sons told him they would not longer
tolerate his behaviour toward their mother. It took another two years before her daughter figured
out she was right.
Nope when you see the warning signs and they're always there get to hell out its a case of
Run Forest Run.

mayety

Nominee Member
Jul 18, 2010
British Columbia
To Elder
Were you able to press charges against him successfully for the damage incurred? Or were you satisfied with being free of him? thank you for sharing your story with us.

Thank you for your response.
For that episode in question, he broke only his belongings in the house. (That is for people who believe that "such people" don't know what they are doing and there are those in denial for a reason to stay.) As far as my car, he was on the telephone as quickly as he was to the police, lining up someone to fix it, using 'Trade Dollars' even to cover my deductible. (Trade Dollars were, at the time, like barter, for a number of merchants in our city.)

Everything that was in my post obviously leads to believing that he was the guilty party, yet I had no proof. No one saw it happen, but his actions afterward belied his regular behaviour. I was satisfied to be free from him, and having my car repaired .....with everything arranged by him (which was SO against his nature that it was MY sign of guilt.) I also had that to "hold over his head'until I found an accessible placce to love. Not easy!

If you realized from my post that I am in a wheelchair, then you will know why I know that he never once would lay a hand on me, as the police where just a 9-1-1 away. Then the "behind closed door secrets' about him would be exposed.

I agree with everything you posted, damngrumpy, and many would agree with me that it is very difficut to have others believe when they do not see it happening, and cannot even envision anyone behaving that way.