Do you believe in a source of all that exists?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Do you believe in a source of all that exists?

How about a singularity, fourteen billion years back?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
AN AGE CRISIS?

If we compare the two age determinations, there is a potential crisis. If the universe is flat, and dominated by ordinary or dark matter, the age of the universe as inferred from the Hubble constant would be about 9 billion years. The age of the universe would be shorter than the age of oldest stars. This contradiction implies that either 1) our measurement of the Hubble constant is incorrect, 2) the Big Bang theory is incorrect or 3) that we need a form of matter like a cosmological constant that implies an older age for a given observed expansion rate.
https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_age.html

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Take your eyes off the right wing religious nut cases. There are two things going on at all times; Yin/Yang. The Universe is always seeking balance. For every one who lowers his IQ to that of a knuckle dragger, one other raises above it all. There is no god separate from everything in the Universe. The Universe created itself and we are made of the same stuff as the Universe.
Maybe some day you'll meet the happy Cliffy?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
AN AGE CRISIS?

If we compare the two age determinations, there is a potential crisis. If the universe is flat, and dominated by ordinary or dark matter, the age of the universe as inferred from the Hubble constant would be about 9 billion years. The age of the universe would be shorter than the age of oldest stars. This contradiction implies that either 1) our measurement of the Hubble constant is incorrect, 2) the Big Bang theory is incorrect or 3) that we need a form of matter like a cosmological constant that implies an older age for a given observed expansion rate.
https://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_age.html
Yes that's all very impressive.

I don't see how his "flock" can't see what's going on. He must be very careful which things he gives sermons on...
Because people want to believe in something and are vulnerable prey for the parasites.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yes that's all very impressive.

Because people want to believe in something and are vulnerable prey for the parasites.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Exactly. What started off as superstition to explain natural events has morphed into a crutch for a few billion people. And just like any crutch, this one is likely to cost you as well.
I mean think about it for a minute. People throwing "offerings" into the collection plate aren't all that far removed from cave men killing an elk and sacrificing it as an offering to some now unknown god(s). In the literal sense today's fool may not be slaughtering an animal but he/she is still "sacrificing" some of their hard-earned dough to appease a non-existent entity.
And considering the scale of our universe, even if there is some kind of creator out there I'm pretty sure it's not keeping attendance at churches/mosques/synagogues. And I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't give a flying fig how much money you think you're giving it.

Galileo, despite being a fairly devout believer also said, "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Now, it's one thing to believe in something more than just what we experience here on Earth as physical entities. But to blindly put your faith in a religion, or any single ideology for that matter, one has to forego one's sense, reasoning and intellect.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Yes, I think you're right. I've read several times from believers "if you don't believe in a god, then what have you to live for?" I guess is gives some a reason to continue on.

Hope and forgiveness for sale.

Humans are so smart and yet...

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Yes, I think you're right. I've read several times from believers "if you don't believe in a god, then what have you to live for?" I guess is gives some a reason to continue on.

Humans are so smart and yet...
I once listened to an interview on 60 minutes with the statesman William Sloan Coffin. The interviewer Mike Wallace asked Mr. Coffin, " if there is a just and merciful god, then why does "He" allow all the suffering and injustice in the world.? Coffin paused , and then said, god may ask all of us, "why do you allow it?"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I once listened to an interview on 60 minutes with the statesman William Sloan Coffin. The interviewer Mike Wallace asked Mr. Coffin, " if there is a just and merciful god, then why does "He" allow all the suffering and injustice in the world.? Coffin paused , and then said, god may ask all of us, "why do you allow it?"
You do realize that's not an answer, right?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well he's dead now.
Probably cured that slow cough.

Why is he dishonest though? Are we as humans not responsible for much of the way things are?
Because he agreed to an interview, then decided to be cutesy instead of answering the question.

"De Almighty says to quit changin' de subject and answer de fockin' question."
--Stephen, Braveheart

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yes, I think you're right. I've read several times from believers "if you don't believe in a god, then what have you to live for?"
I tell them I live for my family and for myself.

Yes......

It was a good point though.

I like Futurama's take on it. IF you do too much, people get dependent on you. If you don't do enough people lose faith in you. But if you do everything just right, nobody will know you did anything at all.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I tell them I live for my family and for myself.

I like Futurama's take on it. IF you do too much, people get dependent on you. If you don't do enough people lose faith in you. But if you do everything just right, nobody will know you did anything at all.
"Everyone needs something to believe, and I believe I'll have another drink."

--W.C. Fields

Yes......

It was a good point though.
No it wasn't. It was an evasion.