dismantel the CWB ?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe I already do....and if I did it would be on the home quarter. The back 40 is 7miles away (I'm not an ON weekend hobby producer) and that's a bit far.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
loggers do not make lumber they cut down trees, other people that work at a mill make lumber. We used to do this in canada, but we found it cheaper to have less jobs in canada?
I guess that i am dreaming every morning as I drive to work at a lumber remanufacturing plant.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
loggers do not make lumber they cut down trees, other people that work at a mill make lumber. We used to do this in canada, but we found it cheaper to have less jobs in canada?

Speak for yourself but I made lumber out of some of the wood I logged. Mostly from the salvage wood but I found it was not gaining me a lot of money for much more paperwork and waiting longer to get paid. My late uncle OTH supplied his own mill for about 40 years.

It isn't so much that we found it cheaper to have less jobs in Canada it is more that the people that create the jobs found it more cost efficient to operate where it is possible to break even on production costs. There are several made in Canada problems with operating a mill here, especially on the coast. One is the high union wage packages another is the shear volume of rules and regulations and the ability to tax by multiple levels of government. Only government enterprises can operate at a loss forever.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
So why should loggers have to make lumber?
Loggers don't have to make lumber but those who would earn money by making it, protested the sale of raw logs to China, just about a week ago or so, right here downtown. They need to work too.

I guess that i am dreaming every morning as I drive to work at a lumber remanufacturing plant.
Aren't you lucky. Not everyone is because of the sale of raw logs off this Island.

Speak for yourself but I made lumber out of some of the wood I logged. Mostly from the salvage wood but I found it was not gaining me a lot of money for much more paperwork and waiting longer to get paid. My late uncle OTH supplied his own mill for about 40 years.

It isn't so much that we found it cheaper to have less jobs in Canada it is more that the people that create the jobs found it more cost efficient to operate where it is possible to break even on production costs. There are several made in Canada problems with operating a mill here, especially on the coast. One is the high union wage packages another is the shear volume of rules and regulations and the ability to tax by multiple levels of government. Only government enterprises can operate at a loss forever.
This Island is very Pro NDP and NDP is very pro union. They don't seem to realize that without the union they might actually have a job even if it doesn't pay quite as high. Or - it might pay higher. It all comes down to how well your union cares to represent you and SOM union for example, doesn't do much. Too many union reps in bed with the employer.

I'd make booze if they'd let me.
You and everyone else who could!! I have a friend whose son-in-law changed his crop (in Sask) to Canola. He's making a small fortune. Just built himself a big big beautiful house. His wife's mother had pictures of it all over FB.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Loggers don't have to make lumber but those who would earn money by making it, protested the sale of raw logs to China, just about a week ago or so, right here downtown. They need to work too.

Same ones that drove the mills off the island in the first place by making the cost of production higher than the market price of the lumber.
To a certain extent I agree with them as exporting any raw product is short term gain for long term pain but all three sides (owners, workers, government) has to give to make it work. Can't just have the two with no investment doing all the taking.
It is also not as simple as the simpletons would have you believe. The Asian countries do not build as we do and our mills are mostly built to cut for the US market.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Same ones that drove the mills off the island in the first place by making the cost of production higher than the market price of the lumber.
To a certain extent I agree with them as exporting any raw product is short term gain for long term pain but all three sides (owners, workers, government) has to give to make it work. Can't just have the two with no investment doing all the taking.
It is also not as simple as the simpletons would have you believe. The Asian countries do not build as we do and our mills are mostly built to cut for the US market.
True and I agree with what you say. You would think that if they really want to sell lumber to the Asian market, they would adapt.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
True and I agree with what you say. You would think that if they really want to sell lumber to the Asian market, they would adapt.
Most of our raw material comes from the island.We do not saw raw logs.
As for the Asian market we already sell lots of product there however logistics makes it harder and more expensive.
Nor do I beleive China to be the answer to the worlds ills.
Remember us Canadians changed from imperial to metric to bring us in to line with European markets.
How did that work?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Checked out the price of bread lately. Over $2.00/loaf. Bit silly, that. Wait till they cancel the CWB!!

Just to compare:

Maybe a whole different kettle of fish, but in NY state, dairy farmers are allowed to sell to whomever to get the best price they can. Well managed dairy farms have gone bust trying.

In Ontario, OMMB guarantees the farmer a good price for milk, and ensures we don't get gutted at the supermarket.

One has to buy milk quota to get started, and it therefore costs a lot, and it's very difficult to get a new dairy operation off the ground. It also ensures we are safe from fly - by - night operations.

Sometimes ya need govt. oversight, regulation, and control.

Canada may not be first in the race to the bottom, but, by jeebus, we're catching up!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Most of our raw material comes from the island.We do not saw raw logs.
As for the Asian market we already sell lots of product there however logistics makes it harder and more expensive.
Nor do I beleive China to be the answer to the worlds ills.
Remember us Canadians changed from imperial to metric to bring us in to line with European markets.
How did that work?

Quite well for the EUropean countries that wanted to sell here. If you recall that at the time we went metric the US was supposed to do so as well but backed out at the last minute. So for the past 30 years we have been working in 2 measurements and have equipment with both types of bolts.
The best thing about selling raw logs to China is that they are not going to the US. But we have to remember that we are a small population country with huge amounts of raw resources and other countries quite naturally want to provide as many jobs for their own population as possible.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That ****er Ritz is going to kill the board tomorrow when 62% of producers want to keep it.

Perhaps Mr Sh!tz should fess up about doing this becuase of the massive foreign farms being set up in Canada.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Wheat Board was set up for a specific reason.. to manage the boom and bust cycles in prices of grain.. that destroyed wheat farming on the prairies during the Great Depression. It's part of the credulity of Harper's government that these cycles no longer apply in a Global market for food, when in fact they have been made more acute by them.

This move replaces managed marketing of wheat in the national interest that protects farmers and consumers, from the ravages of unencumbered market forces. As we have seen since 2008, these forces are a wild beast when unleashed, that will destroy a comprehensive food strategy for the long term, for short term profits, based on speculative production. It will result in inflationary pressure of all food, and ultimately as markets collapse to a destruction of productive capability.. either way it produces starvation.

Harper is such a little ass wipe for the Global Investment Organism. He is selling out Canada for the bones they throw him a reliable poodle.

Last edited: