Disband The Kangaroo Courts Misnamed The Human Rights Tribunals

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Probably why I've never heard of him. lol
Either way, I agree with him that the HRT should in no way be able to dictate to MacLeans whether they can mention a book by Steyn or not.

did you happen to read what other pearls of wisdom he has?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So....we all now know that Mr. Hemingway has the two deadly attributes.....he is both American and Right Wing, and thus to be avoided like leprosy.

Okay, okay........:roll:

Now, how about a relevant comment on his article.......or at least on the attack on our political freedom inherent in the persecution of Steyn for expressing a political viewpoint.......

I've made as much comment as a foul mouthed american man(and I use that term loosely) commenting on Canada's business deserves.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Where do we find kangaroos to run these courts?

Seems to me witch hunts are not conducive to a free and democratic society.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
These are not “witch hunts”—the Tribunal has no role to play when finding cases to make decisions on, this is handled entirely by other agencies and individuals. The Tribunal simply makes decisions when a case is brought before its members for consideration,

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So....we all now know that Mr. Hemingway has the two deadly attributes.....he is both American and Right Wing, and thus to be avoided like leprosy.

Okay, okay........:roll:

Now, how about a relevant comment on his article.......or at least on the attack on our political freedom inherent in the persecution of Steyn for expressing a political viewpoint.......
Judging by what I read in gerryh's oped, the guy's just another Limbaugh clone frothing at the mouth about the other side. So it probably isn't leprosy, but rather a form of the lyssavirus.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
These are not “witch hunts”—the Tribunal has no role to play when finding cases to make decisions on, this is handled entirely by other agencies and individuals. The Tribunal simply makes decisions when a case is brought before its members for consideration,
It is set up so complainants don't pay anything and defendants pay everything. So even in cases that the defendant is found innocent, they still have to pay while the bozo who falsely accuses them gets off scot free. That alone makes it an institute of injustice.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Okay.....so the Tribunals are not witch hunters.....I thank the analogy that fits better is Witch Prickers.....the hunters, you see, bring the accused before the Prickers, who stripped the unfortunates and poked them over their entire body with needles, looking for a numb area or a blemish that would ID them as having been touched by the Devil......

Quasi-judicial, they were.......

With about as much sense, or reason, as our own tribunals.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
if memory serves....... steyn and the racist levant were both exonerated by the tribunals. Hardly what I would call witch pricking.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
It is set up so complainants don't pay anything and defendants pay everything. So even in cases that the defendant is found innocent, they still have to pay while the bozo who falsely accuses them gets off scot free. That alone makes it an institute of injustice.

I will just add to that, which no one else here seems to grasp; the HRC's decide what cases move forward, they have been proven to be subjective and prejudicial, do not follow the requirements of evidence, nor do they abide by the presumption of innocence. There is no process within the HRC for appeal, it is heavily weighted in favour of the complainant, in essence, a kangaroo court. As Cliffy rightly points out, the defendant is totally on the hook, guilty or not, with no jeopardy whatsoever for the complainant as there would otherwise be in civil court. His, (as they are almost always men) only recourse is through the courts of appeal, a very costly endevour, just ask Ezra Levant, himself a Barrister/Solicitor. If Common Law requirements needed to be followed, 98% of HRC cases would never see the light of day.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They are not courts of law, the rules of a court of law need not apply.

They are commission and tribunal hearings, not a case before a Canadian court.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
if memory serves....... steyn and the racist levant were both exonerated by the tribunals. Hardly what I would call witch pricking.

Would you like to pay their bills? That's how the game is played, you shut up folks that don't abide by anideology by using theirmoney, most folks just don't have the resources to fight a government agency run amok. And no, they were'nt exonerated by the tribunals but had to appeal the findings though the courts. BTW, Ezra Levant wasn't racist, he only re published cartoons that were already in print that had nothing to do with race.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Not at all (and I have NO idea why you try to smear Ezra Levant with the "racist" label....)

The witch hunts of early modern Europe often came to a grinding halt in a specific region or town when persons of importance, popularity, or influence were accused. They were found innocent, but unfortunately the Prickers moved on........simply to continue in a jurisdiction down the road a ways.

The analogy stands.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Would you like to pay their bills? That's how the game is played, you shut up folks that don't abide by anideology by using theirmoney, most folks just don't have the resources to fight a government agency run amok. And no, they were'nt exonerated by the tribunals but had to appeal the findings though the courts. BTW, Ezra Levant wasn't racist, he only re published cartoons that were already in print that had nothing to do with race.

Not at all (and I have NO idea why you try to smear Ezra Levant with the "racist" label....)

The witch hunts of early modern Europe often came to a grinding halt in a specific region or town when persons of importance, popularity, or influence were accused. They were found innocent, but unfortunately the Prickers moved on........simply to continue in a jurisdiction down the road a ways.

The analogy stands.

I've read Levants crap and in my opinion, you bet he's a f*ckin racist. As far as I'm concerned he should have been found guilty and AT LEAST fined into the poor house.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
They are not courts of law, the rules of a court of law need not apply.

They are commission and tribunal hearings, not a case before a Canadian court.

So if I can be hauled in front of government authorities, forced to answer accusations, and am at risk of serious penalty..........damned well sounds like a court to me, no matter what you call it.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck....guess what?

Damn the Orwellian double talk.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I've read Levants crap and in my opinion, you bet he's a f*ckin racist. As far as I'm concerned he should have been found guilty and AT LEAST fined into the poor house.

Ahhh I see, it's the usual (small l) liberal crap.....you have the right to express any opinion you like.......as long as you agree with me.

Yep. :roll:

Oh, and perhaps you could enlighten us on which of Mr. Levant's writings earned him the "racist" label.....please, be specific. I am anxious to know.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That isn’t the point that I’m trying to get at.

Everyone here seems to think that the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal one day appeared and morphed into its present form without our knowledge our intervention, and that’s what bugs me — the complete ignorance of how this institution came to be. It is not some evil, antidemocratic, anachronistic institution that appeared out of nowhere, or out of the vestiges of history — it came to be through the express wishes of our elected representatives in Parliament, based on what we voted for. This Tribunal is performing the functions that it was created to perform, as demanded of it by the Canadian people through Parliament. How can an institution be anti-democratic when it is subserviant to the House of Commons? Let us be quite clear here that it is the Parliament of Canada that has the final say on everything that the Tribunal does.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it's been awhile since his rag went broke and I had a rag burning and cleaned my hard drive of the relevant excrement that I had been storing, so, sorry, can't give you specifics at this point in time why I have labeled him a racist. It had a little to do with the cartoons and a lot to do with his attitude towards Muslims in general.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
it's been awhile since his rag went broke and I had a rag burning and cleaned my hard drive of the relevant excrement that I had been storing, so, sorry, can't give you specifics at this point in time why I have labeled him a racist. It had a little to do with the cartoons and a lot to do with his attitude towards Muslims in general.

Muslim is NOT a race........