Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
GAWD this is so fustrating!!! Ive spent 2 days trying to find a peticular beed. I cant find it :( Im going to have to get creative :) THAT Im good at ;)

Chicken's in the oven, made a nice maranade with honey, lemon juice and balsomic vineger.

Chicken soup in the crock and Im exhausted but I need to make at least 6 sets of earrings tonight. The High Priestess has given me permission to bring them to Ostara.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Oh and I see both shrinks tomorrow so I might get the results early if Im lucky.

AND Saturday Ive got a 50 dollar cleaning job so I can order the beads right away for my order :) Looks like that Tat is in the near future

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I stay away from pork.

My first apt is 10:15am and as much as I hate leaving such great company I better get to bed. Wake up calls arent in the forseen future unfortunately.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Mm... this thread really does make you hungry. It is now my lunch-break, and I am meeting a friend at lunch. We are going to a near-by cafe, to have some chebureks. They are sooooooo delicious!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
The Secrets of Russian Cooking Revealed!

By Shausha Shaleesa

Browse Author (9)
« Previous (2)
Next (6) »

The other day, while scouring the "net" looking for creative interpretations of Russian cuisine, I happened upon an article from Harper's called "Restauration: The art of eating returns to Russia" by Leon Aron. You can imagine my delight to see somebody in the West finally realizing all that Russian culinary tradition has to offer.
The article was a joy to read, starting from the clever little pun in the title. While Aron pays homage to the ability of writers like Gogol and Chekhov to describe gastronomical pleasures, I think he ranks right up there with those greats. Just look at some of the original nuggets I selected from his story:
Black bread isn't just bread, but "black, pungent borodinskiy studded with caraway seeds."
What are sochniki? "Hefty little bricks of sweet cottage cheese surrounded by a crumbly dough shell." Yummy!
His zharkoe at Shinok was "served piping hot, under a thick, dark orange sauce, the cubed brisket was tender but fully textured." Make me a reservation!
His borderline erotic descriptions make me at once jealous and captivated. Just thinking of them gives me the chills. I want to show him the next level of Russia's obsession with food. I want to cook for him alone. I want to stuff him with hot mounds of love so that he will spout more passionate musings!
My only regret is that Aron mentioned so many types of food and my space is limited... I can only describe one of those delectable dishes. What do I pick - shawarma, cheburek, ukha, sloyk? He liked them all, and I wouldn't want to disappoint.
Finally I settled on the cheburek, that deep fried staple with its crispy outside and processed innards. If you are someone who has only ever tried one on the street, you don't know what you are missing. By being just slightly more discriminating about the meat products you use, you will never bite into cartilage or be at risk of contracting unwanted bacteria. Besides, by adding animal appendages available for bargain prices at your local rynok, you can give your chebureki that added zing that says "from Russia with love". But enough talk; let's get cooking!
BISHKEK CHEBUREK

1. 5 one-liter bottles of sunflower oil, refined
  2. 2 lamb hoofs
  3. 4 bull scrota
  4. 500g farsh
  5. 6 cups flour
  6. 400g butter, very cold
  7. 2 egg yolks
Place oil in a large fryer on high heat. Combine meat products in blender (use an industrial strength blade to take the edge out of the hoofs). To make the dough, chop butter into the flour and stir in yolks. Making sure not to wash your hands, ball up golf ball-sized pieces of processed meat product and place in 6-inch circles of dough. Fold circle in half, sealing the meat product inside. Drop the chebureki in the hot oil, removing them when browned. The meat should still be slightly red inside to keep it tender. This recipe makes enough for about 10 chebureki. Priyatnogo appetita!

Is this it?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Y-e-e-e-e-s!!
That's exactly what I had for lunch today. Chebureki are a delight!
This article that Tam posted made me want to cook something tasty. Unless this wish passes away before I reach home, I will have a cooking and eating evening tonight. :smile: