Denmark bans ritual slaughter, upsetting Jews and Muslims

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That, says it all right there. The Charter does not trump all law...it's one part of a much larger framework. The other directive allows countries to allow religious exemptions, because the animal welfare directives require stunning before slaughter. There is nothing that says a country must allow ritual slaughter at all, and the Charter clearly outlines that the religious freedoms are not absolute.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt very much that anything will come of it.
And where they are overruled is fairly clear- safety, security, and things of that nature.
Someone, some group will challenge the laws.
Just my opinion- and they will win- again my opinion.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And where they are overruled is fairly clear- safety, security, and things of that nature.
Someone, some group will challenge the laws.
Just my opinion- and they will win- again my opinion.
I don't think they will...I think cruelty will over ride religious rights

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yup, pope-boy. 21st C and all that. You support killing the mother and child ? Quite the fellow you are. Glad you're not in charge of anything.

That's right, 21st century. No need for anyone to die or be killed.

Unless you're a useless, selfish peice of crap.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't know how abortion got confused with ritual slaughter seeing there is nothing ritualistic about it. And add to that that we're talking here about food. I don't eat babies. OK, I don't eat meat either, but at least I can morally accept killing and eating meat. Abortion I cannot.

Unless you're a useless, selfish peice of crap.

Then again, parents-to-be who felt there was a little more love in the world woudl likely be less likely to opt for abortion.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

2.Freedom to manifest one’s religion or beliefs shall be
subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are
necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety,
for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the
protection of the rights and freedoms of others

No, it's not just safety and security. That sounds like Canada's Charter. The EU is quite different. In this case, it's prescribed by law, Denmark restricts it, and it's very clearly a moral issue if you're talking about animal welfare.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Exsaaaanguinnnnation

Anyway, animal rights is something people will need to come to terms with as the modern world moves on.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Anyway, animal rights is something people will need to come to terms with as the modern world moves on.

Yeah, that's pretty much like all the 'children fund' commercials wanting your dollar a day to save the poor dears abroad from scurvy, hunger, yetis and boredom. How be we look after our own, closest to home, then worry about the far-distant and other species. Hmmm?

Anyway, when I'm hungry it's Death to Animals, Death to Plants. I don't much care.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hey I love my beef too bro but we need to evolve the process a bit to lessen the suffering on higher order animals. Whether it's an easier passing or in vitro meat, times will be changing in the next few decades.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Higher order animals are us, and the great apes and I don't eat them. Everything else better watch out.

And never mind growing anything such as 'meat like' proteins either.

Meat, or get off the pot.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ritual slaughter or traditional slaughter it's still killing but it just shows that animal rights activists are really a mixed up bunch like most animal rights activists are pro abortionists. This means Fluffy's rights are more important than baby Jane's rights.
"Baby" (actually foetus, or possibly embryo) Jane has no rights.