Deep Space

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Wow, one can not live long enough to be able to see it all. So inspiring…..

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

The Hubble Space Telescope hovers at the boundary of Earth and space in this picture, taken after Hubble’s second servicing mission in 1997. Hubble drifts 353 miles (569 km) above the Earth’s surface, where it can avoid the atmosphere and clearly see objects in space.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Taking color pictures with the Hubble Space Telescope is much more complex than taking color pictures with a traditional camera. For one thing, Hubble doesn't use color film — in fact, it doesn't use film at all. Rather, its cameras record light from the universe with special electronic detectors. These detectors produce images of the cosmos not in color, but in shades of black and white.

Finished color images are actually combinations of two or more black-and-white exposures to which color has been added during image processing.

The colors in Hubble images, which are assigned for various reasons, aren't always what we'd see if we were able to visit the imaged objects in a spacecraft. We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye.

HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
February 23, 2007
Photonic Laser Propulsion

Photonic Laser Propulsion has had a proof of concept demo it generated 35 micronewtons of thrust using mirrors that generated 3000 times amplification. The low power version would be great for position control of multiple [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]satellites[/COLOR][/COLOR] to nanometer precision.

UPDATE: It has been proposed that extremely small payloads (10 kg) could be delivered to Mars in only 10 days of travel time using [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]laser[/COLOR][/COLOR]-based lightsail caft (Meyer, 1984), but in order to do so, would require a 47 GW laser system. With 47,000 reflections then only a 1MW laser system would be needed. (fifty 20KW lasers). Scaling up 100 times would be able to deliver 1 ton payloads to Mars in ten days

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The Enigmatic Universe we are a part of.
If the entire cosmic system (universe) (cosmos) is 47 Billion light years across, what is after that?????????????????????????