Date Square with Bourbon? Rum?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My mother used to make a wicked Xmas fruit cake with rum, also made her plum pudding with rum. They were not both delicious but could be kept for a long time if needed.

Plum pudding with the white rum sauce. Sooooo good. Takes a few years to make a good plum cake. Aren't they marinated in brandy for a couple years? or is that christmas pudding? or are those the same things? hmmmmm, sooo good.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I don't know, I just hate baking. Cooking I enjoy, baking not so much.
no probs. :) anything I make could be used to torture al Qaeda. :(

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Plum pudding with the white rum sauce. Sooooo good. Takes a few years to make a good plum cake. Aren't they marinated in brandy for a couple years? or is that christmas pudding? or are those the same things? hmmmmm, sooo good.
Sorry for the late reply. I think it was the Christmas pudding.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
transcription of the recipe:

The Republican Fruit Cake One pound butter 1 pound flour or more if needed 1 pound sugar 1 pint molasses 1 pint sour cream 1 glass wine 1 glass brandy 10 eggs 1 tablespoon soda 2 tablespoon cinnamon 1 tablespoon cloves 1 tablespoon mace, 1 nutmeg 3. pounds English currants 1/4 pound citran 1 pound raisins roll the raisins in flour this will keep for a year. Bake one hour This will make three good loaves and I do not think you will be ashamed to place it before the Editor Delicate Cake Three and a half cups flour two of sugar half cup of sweet milk white of six eggs beaten to a froth [illegible] teaspoon cream [illegible] tartar [illegible] [rest of page missing]

1832 ? recipe for Republican Fruit Cake and Delicate Cake :: Delaware County Historical Association

I marvel at just how sophisticated the cooking was in those days. One would be inclined to think there's was a more simple approach but history shows they knew their stuff and used many savory ingredients. Also, the ingredients not only added flavor but seemed to work as preservatives as well. It sure wasn't an easy life for them back then. But it was highly productive.