Danish Flag added to Canadian Content

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Danish Flag added to

Well, my two pennies worth as co-admin ... I agree with having the Danish flag on the header. On a personal level, I think the whole fight is stupid. Cartoons have always been cutting. Live with it. As co-admin, I think it's good for the forum to express an opinion. Anyone interested enough to explore it will come in and see we're not bashing anyone.

It doesn't represent anti-anything ... it represents free speech. Our forum supports that. If individuals don't agree, they are free to start a thread to that effect. We need a good debate around here! We haven't had the opportunity yet to send anyone to Wreck Beach and Haggis is getting impatient! ;)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well I had a nice little post here just before I lost power and lost my post. So I'll make this one short.

I will not give up on this like Paradox already did. I believe in free speech like any other and almost anyone who I've seen post here. HOWEVER, since this is a puplic forum I think it's a really bad idea to make it forum policy to support this cause in this way. It was once uttered that "Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can yell "FIRE" in a crowded building" Why are we yelling fire in a puplic forum. I think it would be nice for the site to have a statement about this exlaining why the editor, or the forum owner would like to support the freedom of speech but to place a symbol which some may few as offensive, I do not think it is a good idea. Myself I support the Danish, hell I'd wear a shirt with the Danish flag on it, but thats me. To speek for all the forum, like this and to just planning put a symbol which some may not understand your meaning to and may see it as a ofense to islam, I think is a grave mistake, if not in my own thought somewhat childish. I do not think this forum should degreed itself and debase itself to such a tic for tac operation.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agree With Finder

I agree entirely, Finder.

I support the freedom of speech of the Danish press. I support the freedom of speech of the Muslim people across our world, and in particular, Canada. Whether or not one would care to concede that this is true, I would argue that the placement of the Danish flag on the header of Canadian Content would be seen by many as an assertion in favour of Denmark, and in opposition to Muslims (or at least Muslims who are protesting, whether or not such protests or assemblies are within the rule of law).

While I doubt that these opinions are going to change the action of the Administration on this topic, I would urge our administrative body to consider other options to express their support for Denmark — for example, publishing a statement on the Canadian Content.net forum.

Gerald24

Jan 29, 2006
Red Earth Creek
My ditaste for these Muslims will be done peacefully, The company I own will not be donating to any charity that sends money to a Country that is more then 50% Muslim

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Good for you, Gerald24.

Perhaps next time I hear of a Christian group arguing against same-sex marriage, I should see appropriate to discontinue contributions to any nation that is over 50% Christian in population. Sounds good to me.

This entire situation has become rather petty. Nobody is arguing over free speech anymore — we are arguing over a freedom to offend, which is quite frankly put, not the same thing. Freedom of speech has been exercised by the Danish press and, as is a reasonable risk whenever one exercises that freedom, someone was offended. However, this time, instead of dealing with the situation appropriately, these cartoons are being republished everywhere in an effort not to re-assert freedom of speech, but rather to rub it in their faces.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Danish Flag added to Canadian Content

FiveParadox said:
However, this time, instead of dealing with the situation appropriately, these cartoons are being republished everywhere in an effort not to re-assert freedom of speech, but rather to rub it in their faces.

Thats you interpretation, but I can tell you many people feel that it is freedom of speech. As was said before the Danish flag does not represent a cartoon, its represents a country which is under attack. How can you not stand with our allies when their people are being called out for death because of something they had no control over. What if it had been Canadian who published the cartoons instead, would you like us to remove all Canadian flags because its might offend hate filled animals?

What if homosexuals became the next target and were told to keep it on the down low and hide the rainbow flag? Fact is we live in the civilized world and we dont need censorship, if people riot and kill here they will be punished!!!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You are inciting fear over something that has not happened.

There have been no reports of violence as a result of this incident in Canada; however, if we punish our Muslim citizens here, then what kind of message does that send to Muslim people abroad? That their opinion is not welcome.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Re: Recommendation Withdrawn

FiveParadox said:
:? I see.
However, as the Right Honourable Stephen Harper has indicated, we must also recognize the right of people to protest others' use of that freedom of speech; are we going to post some kind of Muslim symbol, too, to support their right to the freedom of speech?

Like a little burning embassy? And seriously how is a little flag in the corner punishment?

Anyone have any good Avatar or signature that are tastefull and reflect support of the Danes?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

FiveParadox said:
You are inciting fear over something that has not happened.

No I am giving you a comparable scenario.

There have been no reports of violence as a result of this incident in Canada

If someone in Canada has been the one who drew up this cartoon the reaction would not change, just substitute the Danish flag with a maple leaf.

if we punish our Muslim citizens here, then what kind of message does that send to Muslim people abroad? That their opinion is not welcome.

How are we punishing muslim citizens? If you think posting a flag which has nothing to do with Islam (Danish govnt has nothing to do with the free Danish press) is a wrong, then I would say you are discriminating against Danish people.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:!: Revision
This post has been self-censored. Will reformulate an argument momentarily.

:!: Update
Bah, too lazy. This post is deemed to have been deleted.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
However, as the Right Honourable Stephen Harper has indicated, we must also recognize the right of people to protest others' use of that freedom of speech

Are you kidding me, of course they have the right to protest in Canada. Just as I have the right to counter-protest if see them.

are we going to post some kind of Muslim symbol, too, to support their right to the freedom of speech?

..its is kind of ironic that if they are protesting for the freedom of speech, that they be doing it by attacking freedom of the press... :lol:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nonetheless, they do have the right to do so, do they not?

Is that right any less valid than the right of the Danish free press?

Is protesting free speech any worse than using free speech to offend people?

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Good stuff Andem.
As Denmark is being boycotted in the Muslim world we have to buy their products in support. I am developing a taste for blue cheese!

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
With I have been reading recently I am afraid this forum is turning into an ultra (Western) Conservative slanted forum. Just reading half of the posts supporting the Danish flag on the site, these posts were made by what some may call racist (though not all).

I think a statement of Freedom of the press would be more then enough. Just plainly putting a symbol which could be miss-interpreted as being anti-Islamic is enough to scar away many people from this forum. I really think explaining the position of the forum admin rather then just plainly placing a symbol would be the best choice.

I voice my opinion not to be a decentre in this conflict but one of moderation and one which cares for the moderation of this forum and community which I have grown to like. I hope you take into consideration which myself and Paradox have said. We both come from different back grounds on this issue as well. I think having an informative statement, or a link to that statement on the banner would be the right thing to do. I am extremely uncomfortable with the current situation, not for what it supports but the feeling it may cause in our Islamic Canadian brothers and sisters who may come to this site or even those from other nations who wish to educate themselves on Canadians. I think as Canadian’s we should do the Canadian thing and think of this situation deeply at the roots of the problems and at least not as a community go into this game of tit for tat.

Paradox is much more elegant at this type of thing but I hope I have at least explained my own point well enough to make enough sense to at least make some of you think a little more on this issue.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005

FiveParadox said:
Nonetheless, they do have the right to do so, do they not?

Is that right any less valid than the right of the Danish free press?

Is protesting free speech any worse than using free speech to offend people?

They can protest all they want. What they should not do is burn down embassies, threaten and kill people, and place million dollar bounties on the heads of the cartoonists.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
"They." I despise all of this "they" talk.

There is so much generalization going on in this debate; no wonder Islamic Canadians felt like they had to push for a Coalition of Muslims — to defend their interests from us! Why should Muslim Canadians feel that they have to create an assembly, just to inform the rest of us Canadians that they're not going to be violent?

Because people are implying that each and every Muslim is some sort of barbarian, something to be loathed and despised! Someone on another thread mentioned that they were using their companies' donations to threaten nations that were over 50% Muslim! What does this say?

It's anti-Muslim.

So don't give me that "this is about freedom of speech" thing again.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

FiveParadox said:
"They." I despise all of this "they" talk.

There is so much generalization going on in this debate; no wonder Islamic Canadians felt like they had to push for a Coalition of Muslims — to defend their interests from us! Why should Muslim Canadians feel that they have to create an assembly, just to inform the rest of us Canadians that they're not going to be violent?

Because people are implying that each and every Muslim is some sort of barbarian, something to be loathed and despised! Someone on another thread mentioned that they were using their companies' donations to threaten nations that were over 50% Muslim! What does this say?

It's anti-Muslim.

So don't give me that "this is about freedom of speech" thing again.

Paradox, well you quoted ppl I was going to leave it at what I said. But I have the same underlying feeling about many of the posts I have seen and I think with this whole putting the Danish flag up on the community banner I think we are sending out the wrong message and a message I can't really agree with, without explaining it properly.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Danish Flag added to

Give me a break, now we can't have danish flags. I mean just because some people are plainly off the rocker we all cower in fear of insulting them. This is insanity. And no I am not a western conservative. I am an eastern lefty that am just responding to the insanity of the current events.

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1951292005
  • The man claimed the design resembled the Arabic inscription for Allah, and branded it sacrilegious, threatening a "jihad".

The chain is being forced to spend thousands of pounds redesigning the lid with backing from The Muslim Council of Britain. It apologised and said: "The design simply represents a spinning ice-cream cone."

He was not satisfied by the decision to withdraw the cones and has called on Muslims to boycott Burger King. He said: "This is my jihad. How can you say it is a spinning swirl? If you spin it one way to the right you are offending Muslims."

Edit: Like Paul Martin ships, I am now flying a flag of convenience, though mine is a flag of support.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I see no correlation between the actions of one man, and risking taking a position against an entire faith as the Canadian Content Community. Whether or not the Administration thinks that the Danish flag on the header is an expression of free speech, this, in the views of many, may simply not be the case; this entire situation could be viewed as being "Denmark v. Muslims" (which, I would argue, the mainstream media has been a proponent of that setup). We are taking sides here.