Daily Trivia Discussion

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Ok, I can't stand it ... I see people posting the coolest stuff and I have to be able to comment on it!!!

ITN ... your penguin trivia was so cool. I watched a show on it. Amazing, amazing creatures!

LindzyRae ... I had no idea about Vancouver! Very interesting.

gack ... I could comment on each one, but I'll shuddap now. Just had to start a thread where we could talk about this stuff. It interests me waaaaaay more than the politics!!

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated.

Over 2500 left handed people are killed each year from using products made for right handed people.

In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.

OK, how do you verify the first one??? Any volunteers?

Its time we lefties stood up for our human rights and force car companies etc... to make products for we folk.

A swearing parrot - where can I get one?

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
I am also a huge fan of random facts !!
I'll have so much more info. to unload on my kids!!
Maybe I'll finally be able to one-up my son ( the random fact king), thanks to all you peeps!

THANKS!!!!!!

nightcat46

Oct 15, 2005
Toronto
Here's a sad piece of trivia, but hardly surprising --- 5% of Canadians don't know the first 7 words of our own anthem, but know the first 9 words of the Star Spangled
:blah5: Banner

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm proud to say that I can sing both the french and english versions, well, as long as there is no other music playing. Then I get all mixed up and turned around!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Speaking of lefties....I read somewhere about toilets being right handed. Now, the only way I can see a toilet being right handed is with regards to the flush handle...and then only if you flush when sitting down. I always thought they were left handed...anyway, what do you people think? Are toilets right handed or left handed?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Some biblical scholars believe that Aramaic (the language of the ancient Bible) did not contain an easy way to say 'many things' and used a term which has come down to us as 40. This means that when the bible -- in many places -- refers to '40 days,' they meant many days.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I looked up a few just for the fun of it.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A snail can sleep for 3 years.

Wow - taste with their feet? That's weird.

Uncle

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
In Britian it is the law that every male between the ages of 10 and 18 must meet on a Sunday morning at the village green in order to practice archery.

It's still a law in Canada that the government will pay a bounty for all Indian scalps brought in.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
MMMike said:
A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated.

Over 2500 left handed people are killed each year from using products made for right handed people.

In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.

OK, how do you verify the first one??? Any volunteers?

Its time we lefties stood up for our human rights and force car companies etc... to make products for we folk.

A swearing parrot - where can I get one?

To be precise the head must be decapitated quickly. A guillotine is ideal for this job. Once the thud is heard start the timer. A olympic type stop watch is ideal for this job.
Closely watch the eyelids. They will initially blink rapidly in apparent disbelief or maybe bewilderment. Sometimes the eye balls start rolling counterclockwise. This is a genetic flaw and can be ignored. Soon the eyes will go glassy and may lock onto you in a fixed stare. Stop the timer when the eyelids slam shut.
Note the clock. Should be in the 15-20 second range.

They do manufacture left handed golf clubs. What more could a body want?

One just quit politics. She isn't running anymore.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Humans have between 100 trillion to 1 quadrillion living cells in their bodies.

French aerialist, Jules Leotard, introduced the flying trapeze. He also invented the tights we call leotards.

In Tuscany, olive oil and bread are sacred gifts and it is a grave sin to waste either of them. The Tuscans say you add years to your time in purgatory with the crumbs left on your plate.

poligeek

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Toronto
Here's some from my one of favourite sites:

If you toss a penny 10000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified kosher.

The housefly hums in the middle octave, key of F.

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

Lucky Pig!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Some might like it, but what about us folks that put in 10 minutes then roll over and go to sleep? :)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ah, it depends on how nice she has been lately. 2 min if she is a good girl. 10 if she has been bad!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. Actually, that's a piece of folk etymology. The phrase refers to the use of rough and ready practical experience rather than formal procedures in getting something done. It's most likely that the saying comes from carpenters using the length of the first joint of the thumb, which is about an inch long, to measure things. So "rule" refers to a ruler in the sense of measurement, not of despotism or male chauvinism. Other parts of the body were used as a ruler, too. A foot was determined by a pace, the distance from the tip of the nose to the outstretched fingers is roughly a yard, and horse heights are still measured by hands—the width of the palm and closed thumb is about four inches.