Criticism of Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity is not Anti-Semitism

Is criticism of Israel's human rights record is anti-Semitic

• yes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
This string concerns a common tactic by Israeli apologists to label legitimate criticism of Israel's war crimes, crimes against humanity, and their discriminatory religious based policies, as being anti-Semitic.

Reference:

This is not a string about Israel's war crimes and crimes against humanity. This website already has an ongoing debate on this issue:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/i...esty-international-report-operation-cast.html

This article is a discussion primer:

The issue is whether Zionists and Israeli apologists have broadened the definition of anti-Semitism to include legitimate criticism of Israel or whether Israel's critics are deflating the definition to apologize for covert prejudice against Jews.

While anti-Semitism exists, I also agree with the author (who is Jewish) in the above referenced article, that "There has never been a better time for Jews to live in than our own."... at least in North America and Europe. I wouldn't say the same thing about Jews living anywhere in the middle east including Israel. Nearly all western nations have anti-hate laws and if any Jews are discriminated against, they enjoy the full protection of the law. While Israeli Jews enjoy special rights and freedoms not enjoyed by non-Jews, they also live on the front line of an active war zone and face about a billion hostile neighbors. I would describe their long term situation as dire.

So is criticism of Israel's human rights record anti-Semitic?

Also,

Do Israel's supporters use anti-Semitism to silence legitimate criticism of Israel's atrocious human rights record?

Israel's atrocious human rights record:
http://thereport.amnesty.org/sites/default/files/AIR2010_AZ_EN.pdf#page=129
These so called war crimes you keep bringing up are not official Israeli policy, in a war things happen. Sometimes those committing excess atrocities are caught sometimes not. I know of no soldier who went into a combat situation thinking how they were going to kill innocents (which I believe are very few truly innocent. Young children about the only ones. ) When anyone goes into combat their first concern is protecting those comrades around them, then completing the mission with the least amount of causalities and coming home. Battles today are not like you see in movies or read about in history, the idea is not to wipeout a civilization. I won't debate Amnesty International this time. You are never going to civilize a war and it will never be humane.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
EAO: ...if you throw enough crap at someone, some of its bound to stick, even if it is completely unfounded, invented or imagined.

I guess I should have included unsupported allegations and name calling.

I would agree with that definition.

Based on your definition, please explain how criticizing a country's war crimes and crimes against humanity is anti-Semitic.

Also do you agree with JTF that not posting a rebuttal to an article proves they are ignoring it and therefore leads to a conclusion that someone is anti-Semtic? Could not posting a rebuttal to someone's post also mean they never saw that person's post?

You comments as I recall stated you believed in the Jewish Controlled Media -

You also complained about the Media attention on the Anniversary of the Holocaust - Guess having so many World Leaders there, at the same time meant there was nothing for the media to comment on. After all the Holocaust is old news or a way for Israel to play the pity card as you have also stated.

You poll questions are pure BS -

Comments can be disregarded even when legitimate when a person make 95 % unfounded statements then why listen to the other
5 % - Goebbels possibly told the truth 5 % of the time - The rest was repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. To you and a few others like yourself.

Perhaps your overlooking CUBert post on Nuking Israel was what - Lost in the daydreams of no Jews - yet if someone made a post that was 1 / 10 th as horrific as that against Arabs you would be up in arms - Funny enough so would i and many other that support Israel - We do not believe in the killing but we know Israel has little choice with Hamas and Hezbollah -

Comparable to a Neo NAZI rally making comments about Israel -

Just a different Bung Hole where they originate from. Same smell though different bung hole does not change the flavor or odor.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
These so called war crimes you keep bringing up are not official Israeli policy, in a war things happen. Sometimes those committing excess atrocities are caught sometimes not. I know of no soldier who went into a combat situation thinking how they were going to kill innocents (which I believe are very few truly innocent. Young children about the only ones. ) When anyone goes into combat their first concern is protecting those comrades around them, then completing the mission with the least amount of causalities and coming home. Battles today are not like you see in movies or read about in history, the idea is not to wipeout a civilization. I won't debate Amnesty International this time. You are never going to civilize a war and it will never be humane.

Off topic,
I agree that bad stuff happens during a war and sometimes war crimes occur even if its not a nation's official policy. I am not claiming that Israel has an official state policy to commit war crimes. However Israel's leaders are aware some members of IDF commited war crimes and have not made a legitimate effort to bring anyone to justice. Therefore Israel's leaders are guilty of aiding and abetting war criminals. BTW, I would also say the same about Hamas and Palestinian militants in Gaza.

It is official Israeli government policy to interfere with legitimate humanitarian aid entering Gaza, and limit the amount of aid to the point where 1.5 million civilians suffer widespread disease and malnutrition, but not quite enough to cause wide spread starvation and death. That official Israeli government policy is a crime against humanity.

Back on topic
Be careful IS... Just acknowledging Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity, without even attributing them to Jews, can lead to accusation of anti-Semtism.

BTW, not all members of the IDF are Jewish and I am aware of at least incident where a Christian member of the IDF got away with murdering an 13 year old unarmed schoolgirl:
Iman Darweesh Al Hams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Off topic,
I agree that bad stuff happens during a war and sometimes war crimes occur even if its not a nation's official policy. I am not claiming that Israel has an official state policy to commit war crimes. However Israel's leaders are aware some members of IDF commited war crimes and have not made a legitimate effort to bring anyone to justice. Therefore Israel's leaders are guilty of aiding and abetting war criminals. BTW, I would also say the same about Hamas and Palestinian militants in Gaza.

It is official Israeli government policy to interfere with legitimate humanitarian aid entering Gaza, and limit the amount of aid to the point where 1.5 million civilians suffer widespread disease and malnutrition, but not quite enough to cause wide spread starvation and death. That official Israeli government policy is a crime against humanity.

Back on topic
Be careful IS... Just acknowledging Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity, without even attributing them to Jews, can lead to accusation of anti-Semtism.

BTW, not all members of the IDF are Jewish and I am aware of at least incident where a Christian member of the IDF got away with murdering an 13 year old unarmed schoolgirl:

EAO

Ask the Mods to make the poll public - Be interesting to see who was the sole voter?? Take the challenge - Go Deep

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

semite//// a member of any of the races supposedly descended from Shem son o Noah including Phoenicians Assyrians Arabs and Jews

anti/// against

So the damn meaning of anti semitism has been tweeked ad hocedlylike (to exclude the other unchosen) at some relatively recent time I rekon.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
First lets get the defination of Anti-Semitism right:

Anti-Semitism (alternatively spelled antisemitism) is hostility toward or prejudice against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group, which can range from individual hatred to institutionalized, violent persecution. Nothing to do with any other religious or racial group.

semite//// a member of any of the races supposedly descended from Noah including Phoenicians Assyrians Arabs and Jews
anti/// against

So the damn meaning of anti semitism has been tweeked ad hocedlylike at some relativly recent time I rekon.

And knowing that we all have genetic material in us from 1 man and 1 women makes us all kin folk as well. Thought we should clear that up - We are all related.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
And knowing that we all have genetic material in us from 1 man and 1 women makes us all kin folk as well. Thought we should clear that up - We are all related.[/QUOT

I don't know you well enough to make the claim for kinship. You are just disembodied print, how could I be sure you were not from some other planet or perhaps another dimension and maybe you just want my money or a relationship where I will do dishes and laundry all day.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And knowing that we all have genetic material in us from 1 man and 1 women makes us all kin folk as well. Thought we should clear that up - We are all related.[/QUOT

I don't know you well enough to make the claim for kinship. You are just disembodied print, how could I be sure you were not from some other planet or perhaps another dimension and maybe you just want my money or a relationship where I will do dishes and laundry all day.
Ckeck your wallet - no the other one - short a 20 eh. Watch out.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
First lets get the defination of Anti-Semitism right:

Anti-Semitism (alternatively spelled antisemitism) is hostility toward or prejudice against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group, which can range from individual hatred to institutionalized, violent persecution. Nothing to do with any other religious or racial group.

What you have to distinguish between is 'Anti-Semitism' as defined above, and anti-'Semitism', as in, being against Semites.

Because 'Semite' does not mean Jew, so being against 'Semites' does not mean being against Jews.

semitic - relating to people of the ancient Near East, including Jews, Arabs, Babylonians, Assyrians, and Phoenicians

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What you have to distinguish between is 'Anti-Semitism' as defined above, and anti-'Semitism', as in, being against Semites.

Because 'Semite' does not mean Jew, so being against 'Semites' does not mean being against Jews.

semitic - relating to people of the ancient Near East, including Jews, Arabs, Babylonians, Assyrians, and Phoenicians

What you really have to understand is how language changes, evolves - In todays world an Anti Semite Is Anti Jew- That is the reality of what the word means now - what the world in general accepts it to be - not a dictionary - but what and how people interpret it- not 50 or 100 years ago - Todays interpretation - Not yesteryears.

Off topic,

Back on topic

EAO - No answer yet - does the waution make you quiver with terror - Make the pol public. Are you ashamed of something?
EAO

Ask the Mods to make the poll public - Be interesting to see who was the sole voter?? Take the challenge - Go Deep

Off topic,

Back on topic

EAO - No answer yet - does the waution make you quiver with terror - Make the pol public. Are you ashamed of something?
EAO

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Off topic,

Back on topic

Christian, Jew his religion had nothing to do with it. Not to make any excuses for what happened, in this case it was wrong, but I have seen children carrying armed grenades trying to get close to soldiers in order to set them off. Of course most had not idea what they were doing, but they had to be stopped.

This may explain it better: "The most difficult thing about being a ground soldier in Vietnam was the inability to tell the difference between friend or foe. The North Vietnamese and South Vietnamese were almost indistinguishable to the Americans and the North often camouflaged themselves to look like civilians. They would also send women and children strapped with bombs or carrying grenades to suicide bomb the troops (Definitely not a new idea Iraq, Afghanistan, or Palestine.)"

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is an issue being seen with blurred vision, when it comes to accusing people of
war crimes AS A PEOPE. Firstly Israeli War Crimes, American War Crimes and
indeed Chinese, Russian, German or British War Crimes are the Crimes of those
individuals who committed them. We spend our days labelling people as war criminals
as a nationality or religion. Once again the criminals are the people who committed the
crimes not the nationality itself.
If this were not true, the international courts would have had to put on trial every single
German after World War Two. Every American Citizen after the Vietnam War and so on.
Why don't we open to vault of history and condemn all nations for the war crimes they
have committed. For example the British, expelled the French from the Canadian Maritimes
in one of the worst cases of Ethnic Cleansing the world ever witnessed. There is the
crimes committed by Americans in Vietnam, in Iraq and so on. Yes the Jewish State can be
tagged for War Crimes in conflict with their neighbour.
Then again, we see the crimes and war crimes committed by the citizens of various Arab
neighbours as well.
Now having said that, I ask you as reasonable people, Can we say that all British people, all
Americans, All Arabs and all Israelis, are war Criminals? If you answer yes, in my view you
have failed the first test in basic humanity. We as people are not war criminals, those who
commit criminal acts in war are the criminals. Each citizen even as a soldier has a conscience
and a moral code that will either allow himself to go along or say no. Some say well if the soldier
doesn't he will pay a heavy price maybe with his life.
In response I say you are right a heavy price would be paid. Even if the soldier says yes there is
a heavy price to be paid for the victim and for the person committing the criminal act, both in
personal cost to conscience and in the eyes of the law.
Nuremberg Germany and the War Crimes Trials Established that decades ago.
Criticism of war crimes is not anti Semite, if the acts are committed by soldiers from that country.
It is not anti American to criticize American War Crimes or for that matter any other country if in
fact you are not saying the entire population of the country is to blame.
If you are critisizing the act of a war crime it is one thing if you are saying all the people are criminals,
or should be hated that is something else.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

This may explain it better: "The most difficult thing about being a ground soldier in Vietnam was the inability to tell the difference between friend or foe. The North Vietnamese and South Vietnamese were almost indistinguishable to the Americans and the North often camouflaged themselves to look like civilians. They would also send women and children strapped with bombs or carrying grenades to suicide bomb the troops (Definitely not a new idea Iraq, Afghanistan, or Palestine.)"

Indeed. Funny how some societies don't understand that not everyone plays by 'the rules' when they are fighting for their own country. How many times will it take to learn this? Until then, there is little to be gained from 'wars' in places such as Vietnam, or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or...

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Just the Webster and Cambridge definition's, to the two words combined. Being "Anti Semite" is anti Jewish only. Yes Semite refers to all the ancient Near Eastern people, but their civilizations are pretty much gone. Like the word racist, today people use it for being against anything.

Anti-semitism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of anti-Semitic adjective from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
It is monumental stupidity for anyone to say that the left hates Israel when the overwhelming majority of Jews identify in the USA and Europe as leftist.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted maybe in the poll, since it really does depend on intent.

At the end of the day, the right to criticize a country for its human rights record is always legitimate. Heck, if a North Korean of all people criticized Canada's human right record with regards to Bill 101 or the separate school system or our disrespect for treaties signed in good faith, his criticism would be totally legitimate, simply by virtue of its truth. The fact that his country's human rights record is even worse would not in any way forfeit his right to criticize Canada's human rights record. The same applies in all cases. The fact that Palestinians have sometimes violated international law does not lessen in the least our right to criticize Israel's violations. And the fact that Israel has violated international law on repeated occasions does not in any way lessen our right to criticize Palestine.

The truth is the truth, and the actions of one do not negate the truth of another.Sometimes the truth goes in many directions.

Also, we need to make a clear distinction between Jews (member of a Faith community), Hebrews (members of an ethnic community), Israeli nationals (legal citizens of Israel), Israelis (all who identify with Israel in some way or who have legal Israeli citizenship), and Zionists (adherents to a particular political ideology).

The same applies when drawing the distinction between Palestinians, Arabs, Muslims, etc.

There can be any number of combinations possible among these various groups, such as a Hebrew Muslims, Arab Jews, Israeli Arabs, Palestinian Jews, Christian Zionists, Jews who are not Zionists, etc. etc. etc.

So I really don't see how criticism of Israel necessarily means criticism of Jews or their Faith any more than criticism of Palestine is necessarily a criticism of Muslims or their Faith.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Its no mystery who voted yes.

Sorry, but the way you've worded your poll give me no choice but to vote YES!!! :)

Legitimate criticism of Israel is of course fine. Bending over backwards to make up stories to purposefully vilify Israel ( for example, quoting the Goldstone report and pretending it's an objective scholarly work, while knowing full well that even Goldstone said it isn't so ) is not necessarily anti-semetic, but probably is.

Sorry I had to step away, but I did read everyone's posts in this string.

I'd like to make clear that I don't consider all members of the IDF to be war criminals. I have no beef with soldiers who defend their country with honor and respect their legal obligations regarding the treatment of civilians as well as their adversaries. I only consider those individuals who commit war crimes to be war criminals, regardless of race, religion or nationality. I have a problem with them and everyone in the chain of command above them who allow these crimes to go unpunished, creating a culture of impunity and as a result more war crimes.

I doubt whether any Israeli or Palestinian war criminals will be held responsible for their crimes in this conflict.

I support Canada having a consistent single policy regarding war crimes and crimes against humanity which includes publicly condemning them. Canada should not treat one group of war criminals differently than another with the exception of a Canadian who commits war crimes. In that case I'd support treating any Canadian soldier who disgraces Canada and the Canadian armed forces by committing war crimes about the same way as former Colonel Russell Williams was treated.

If you believe that Israeli war criminals can justify their actions, I suggest you take the time to read the allegations. You'll see that what happened in some cases might have been unintentional accidents or screw ups. I don't consider these incidents to be war crimes. But many incidents appear to be war crimes committed out of deliberate malice, prejudice, hatred and in some cases boredom and knowing they could get away with it. If you don't know what I'm referencing I suggest you read the report.

United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza conflict

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
For the record, I voted maybe as I believe that some criticism of Israel is based on anti-Semitism.
For the record I voted no. Legitimate criticism of Israel policy is not anti semitism.

I don't believe Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch are anti-Semitic (prejudiced against Jews) or anti-Israeli (prejudiced against Israeli citizens). These organizations criticize human rights violations everywhere and hold everyone to the same standards.
And yet it has been proven that they are biased, in their imbalanced application of condemnation. It has also been proven that they hold war as a crime and any act involved in, or pertaining to, is a crime against humanity. That being known, simply puts their finds in question at the first word.
Also, I don't agree that groups of people can be held responsible for the actions of individuals.
Then why is it "Israeli (a group) war crimes"?

People are responsible for their own action or inaction. People commit war crimes and crimes against humanity, not religious groups or citizens of a specific nationality.
Then why is it "Israeli (a group) war crimes"?

Again, legitimate criticism of Israel policy is not anti semitism. But when you ignore reality, rule of law, and all verifiable evidence. Only to cling to anecdotal evidence, biased interpretations, Pallywood productions and out right lies. While stating Hamas is more believable, the Hezbollah are freedom fighters. You still aren't anti semitic. You're something far more ignorant and disturbing.

Although you might have referenced this article in another debate somewhere on this website, I never saw it until just now.
BS, I posted it to you when you challenged me to prove the Goldstone report was junk. You demanded that I reference section page and paragraph, to prove I'd read it. I did, and I did as you requested.

You simply ignored my posts, because you couldn't counter then, nor could you argue with Goldstone's own words.

An out of context quote in a pro-Israeli opinion piece is not even hearsay, let alone a fact. In the context of a pro-Israeli opinion piece Goldstone's comment is relatively meaningless.
Here comes the dismissal.

When exactly did Goldstone make this comment and in what context. I noticed the article provides neither references and for all I know, could be entirely invented. If you could find the original source of that quote in context, then Goldstone's quote might mean something.
And there it is. This is where you go from legitimate criticism, to something worse.
I doubt Goldstone would claim his fact finding mission didn't find any facts. Its possible that in context, Goldstone was saying that his report wasn't meant to be a formal legal document that could be used to indict or convict anyone.
That's exactly what he said. But that hasn't stopped you from using it as such, to condemn the group known as Israel. By treating it as document to indict Israeli war policy.

His report is not sufficient to convict anyone of a war crime, but its findings are sufficient to conclude war crimes were committed, warrant further investigation and he called on the governments on both sides to launch official investigations and judicial proceedings, where specific individuals could be held accountable for specific events (war crimes) as detailed in his report.
And I detailed to you, that members of Hamas were interviewed by Goldstone for his report, thus proving his report to be flawed and of the poorest type of investigative garbage.

Goldstone's report doesn't accuse anyone specifically of war crimes
Accept Israel.

Back on topic.

To draw the conclusion that I must be anti-Semitic because I didn't reply to something I never saw is ridiculous.
I agree. But then again, I don't think you're merely anti semitic.

This is exactly the type of tactic employed by Israeli apologists to discredit legitimate criticism of Israel. Its based on the premise that if you throw enough crap at someone, some of its bound to stick, even if it is completely unfounded, invented or imagined.
You mean like the crap you have flung at me personally?

BTW, I would also say the same about Hamas and Palestinian militants in Gaza.
Right before you tell us how much more honest and caring they are. Which of course is mixed in with the fact that you still claim they have never lied. Refused to admit they stole aid shipmemts, turned aid shipments back and so on.

It is official Israeli government policy to interfere with legitimate humanitarian aid entering Gaza, and limit the amount of aid to the point where 1.5 million civilians suffer widespread disease and malnutrition, but not quite enough to cause wide spread starvation and death.
Yet they are about to start exporting food? You still haven'y explained how that works.
That official Israeli government policy is a crime against humanity.
So is the unhindered unreported crossing of aid from legitimate aid groups, that Israel does not interfere with. As you have been made well aware of several times now.

Back on topic
BS. You get that label when you deny, ignore or dismiss reality, only to embrace anecdotes, lies and falsehoods to uphold and justify your hatred for Joos. Like you do.

It is monumental stupidity for anyone to say that the left hates Israel when the overwhelming majority of Jews identify in the USA and Europe as leftist.
Wrong thread moron, and might I add, you really should learn the difference between the left as in democrat and progressive. Or learn to read and actually read the article. That way your post on that subject wouldn't look as stupid as it does.

Last edited: