Cricket: India are ranked world No1 for first time after crushing Sri Lanka

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''vet bills are big''

I know. But in these parts, auto repair costs and insurance are sky high. As in much of Canada, you better keep your car in a garage or its engine will burst. The wife of a friend of mine has a show horse and does dressage. While the cost is high she said that they are actually less than the costs for her auto.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I thought the West Indies were going to do it at 196-3 with Deonarine and Nash going so well. After bowling the Aussies out for 150 in the second innings, and then scoring 323, to lose by only 35 runs was a fantastic attempt at chasing a tough target.

How times have changed. I remember seeing an issue of Wisden when I lived in Britain (I don’t know if it is still published).

Wisden names five cricketers as outstanding cricketers of the year. In that particular issue, four of the five named were from West Indies, one was from England. West Indies was the top cricket team in the world for a long time, before they fell down the ladder.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That looks like an interesting website. Of course, there is nothing there at the moment, since a match isn’t on. But I will certainly check it out when a cricket match is on.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Be sure to download a FREE tvu player and go to the sports section. There are usually cricket matches at night from India, Pakistan, Australia, and New Zealand. This during the season which started just a little while ago as the Southern hemisphere is in its summer while we are in winter up north.

At present I am watching a replay of Pakistan vs South Africa in the ICC Trophy Champs.

JakeElwood

~ Blues Brother ~
Nov 27, 2009
3,963 miles from Chicago
''Windies''

Don't know if you are old enough to remember the great Windies teams of the 70s-90s. We had very aggressive bowlers, great hitting, and very determined defense. They were very intimidating and every match was total war.

I'm in my late 30s, so I do remember the WIndies sides from that era. It was painful being an England fan losing a home Test Series to the WIndies 5-0 - a "Blackwash" as the WIndies fans enjoyed calling it.

I remember seeing plenty of the great WIndies fast bowlers playing English County Cricket during the summers, Joel Garner, Michael "Whispering Death" Holding, Curtley Ambrose, Andy Roberts, Courtney Walsh, and all 5 feet 9 inches of the late, great Malcolm Marshall.

As good as all the others were, Malcolm Marshall was the best.:cool:

The Counties also had some great WIndies batsmen... Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Gordon Greenidge, Des Haynes, Alvin Kallicharran, etc.

Reactions: gopher

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Earlier today India defeated Sri Lanka 317-3 in the 4th ODI of the Karbonn Mobiles Cup 2009. Indians made a great chase and won by 7 wickets. They were spurred by the excellent partnership of Virat Kohli & Gauthram Gambhir. They amassed 224 runs between them. SL just doesn't have the bowling strength while India has the total package.

Very exciting stuff. Makes me glad to know so many Yanks are beginning to appreciate cric just as we did in the 1800s - soon many more will be enjoying this great action.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I'm now watching Pakistan gets their butts kicked by Australia in a test at Melbourne. The aggressive Ozmen lead by 196 at tea with the Pakmen just barely avoiding a follow on. Second innings to follow.

I especially enjoyed Mitchell Johnson's very aggressive bouncers to Saeed Ajmal. The intimidation game is a thing of beauty and the Ozmen are particularly good at it. This reminds me of my great Windies teams of the past whose game was always one of intimidation and aggressive play.

Last edited:

JakeElwood

~ Blues Brother ~
Nov 27, 2009
3,963 miles from Chicago
After an almost perfect 4th Day for England in the 2nd Test Match against South Africa, I can't wait for the final day to start in a few hours.

Only 4 wickets needed for the win and a 1-0 lead in the Series.

JakeElwood

~ Blues Brother ~
Nov 27, 2009
3,963 miles from Chicago
Day 5 lasted only 18 overs / 70 minutes.

England claimed the final 4 South African wickets to win by an innings and 98 runs.:cool:

I never expected England to beat South Africa by an innings in this series.

Roll on January 3rd for the start of the 3rd Test.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I'm now watching Pakistan gets their butts kicked by Australia in a test at Melbourne. The aggressive Ozmen lead by 196 at tea with the Pakmen just barely avoiding a follow on. Second innings to follow.

I especially enjoyed Mitchell Johnson's very aggressive bouncers to Saeed Ajmal. The intimidation game is a thing of beauty and the Ozmen are particularly good at it. This reminds me of my great Windies teams of the past whose game was always one of intimidation and aggressive play.

I remember reading somewhere that the fast bowling of bowlers such as Holding or Garner would deliver the ball at 90 miles per hour. It was a wonder that the batsman could see the ball at all; it wouldn’t surprise me if it is seen only as a blur.

I don’t know if they have bowlers of the caliber of Holding and Garner these days.

JakeElwood

~ Blues Brother ~
Nov 27, 2009
3,963 miles from Chicago
Ozmen defeat Pakmen by 170 runs to win the first international test series which will resume next week. Great action!

What a start to the Second Test yesterday. Pakistan bowl the Aussies out for 127 in 44.2 overs. And now Pakistan are now 90 runs beyond the Aussies with only two wickets down.

How do you explain that turnaround from the first test? If it carries on this way and Pakistan score 500+ the Aussies will face a very difficult second innings.

It reminds me of the 4th Ashes Test in 2009, when England were bowled out by the Aussies for only 102 in the first innings and ended up losing the match by an innings and 80 runs.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
''I don’t know if they have bowlers of the caliber of Holding and Garner these days.''

They don't. How I miss Whispering Death and Big Bird! Though in truth, I thought Malcolm Marshall was our greatest fast bowler. Curtly Ambrose probably rated second. Both well before your time.

''How do you explain that turnaround from the first test? ''

In all frankness, I thought the Ozmen were being unduely merciful to the Pakmen. In yesterday's match, Oz manhandled the Paks like they were nothing more than strawmen. In the online chatroom where I was at, several Pak fans posted their disgust with the very evident timidity of their team.

My feeling is that Pak need someone like Bob Woolmer who was a great leader and father figure. His death was a devastating blow and they have never recovered fom this tragedy. No question in my mind that they have much talent. But what they lack is leadership and the discipline to develop the composure of a winning team. A good onfield captain like Mohammad Yousuf is not enough. They need more pre match preparation and only someone like Woolmer can do that.