Could legalising marijuana save the US economy

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I see these well financed adds promoting legalization as way of solving the debt problems in Washington State.. all the time now in BC.

As someone who smoked continuously for 2 years of my life in my 20's i can attest the marijuana is not the innocuous mild intoxicant that it is purported to be. Habitual use can lead to serious mental disorders.. paranoia, clinical depression, severe psychosis.

The smoking itself is every bit as carcinogous as tobacco smoking. It has absolutely NO therapeutic value of a medical nature. It will be far more of a drain on a productive economy than a benefit if legalized.

AND it is the thin edge of a wedge to legalizing and 'controlling' all intoxicating drugs.. opiates, cocaine, hallucinagens. That's the agenda. It'll produce a society of zombies.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I see these well financed adds promoting legalization as way of solving the debt problems in Washington State.. all the time now in BC.

As someone who smoked continuously for 2 years of my life in my 20's i can attest the marijuana is not the innocuous mild intoxicant that it is purported to be.
This makes you an expert? lol
Habitual use can lead to serious mental disorders.. paranoia, clinical depression, severe psychosis.
Evidence?
Either way, moderate use is no worse than using alcohol or much of anything else.

The smoking itself is every bit as carcinogous as tobacco smoking.
Wrong. Most pot does not contain nearly the amounts of carcinogens that tobacco does.
It has absolutely NO therapeutic value of a medical nature.
Evidence?
It will be far more of a drain on a productive economy than a benefit if legalized.
Evidence?

AND it is the thin edge of a wedge to legalizing and 'controlling' all intoxicating drugs.. opiates, cocaine, hallucinagens. That's the agenda. It'll produce a society of zombies.
Evidence?
And your agenda is to turn everyone into a puritanical, zealously religious zombie. So?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They aren't that easy to get.
Where the hell would somebody in BC come up with a dollar without going into debt? How much of that dollar goes to TransLink and Carbon Taxes?

welfare.

As someone who smoked continuously for 2 years of my life in my 20's i can attest the marijuana is not the innocuous mild intoxicant that it is purported to be. Habitual use can lead to serious mental disorders.. paranoia, clinical depression, severe psychosis.

The smoking itself is every bit as carcinogous as tobacco smoking. It has absolutely NO therapeutic value of a medical nature. It will be far more of a drain on a productive economy than a benefit if legalized.

Quite a pile of BS in one post. You looking to take over Cabagehead's position as head BSer?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I doubt legalizing pot would save the US economy but it would sure put a damper on the plans of thousands of bureaucraps that have made an industry out of having it illegal.

And that in a nutshell is exactly why the U.S. will never legalize pot.

Legalization and decriminalization are two different avenues EAO.

Legalization is flat out the worst possible scenario.

Too right, petros.

"Could legalising marijuana save the US economy"
No, but it would help out a noticeable amount.

LOL! You got that right, LG. :lol:

Health risks associated with Marijuana use:
NORML's Marijuana Health Mythology

You might be surprised!

Not really............taken to excess, many things can harm our health. It really is all about moderation.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The biggest risk from using marijuana appears to be getting into an accident or getting busted. Moderate consumption of marijuana is not a big health risk and may even have some health benefits, just like moderate consumption of alcohol.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
And your agenda is to turn everyone into a puritanical, zealously religious zombie. So?

Can't do any worse than the insipid, politically correct, vacuous, atheistic zombies that have ruled us for 40 years.. and have methodially deconstructed our cultural, social and economic well being.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I hardly see how legalizing and taxing marijuana could help the US economy. What is going to stop the illegal growers from continuing to supply untaxed pot? The problem would continue in another form. As for making marijuana part of the US economy; it already is. The proceeds from illegal pot grown in the US are almost certainly spread throughout the US right now.

And what would the US do about cheaper pot shipped from Mexico or more potent pot shipped from BC? Certainly the growers in these countries are not going to cut back their exports simply because the US decides to legalize American growing operations.

Can't do any worse than the insipid, politically correct, vacuous, atheistic zombies that have ruled us for 40 years.. and have methodially deconstructed our cultural, social and economic well being.

Atheistic? So they do have some people of intelligence in government after all. Just out of curiosity could you name one known atheist who is a member of one of the provincial legislatures or the federal government?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Just out of curiosity could you name one known atheist who is a member of one of the provincial legislatures or the federal government?
Atheist is as atheist does.. look at open season on fetuses in our country.. implemented by courts and legislators. No one with the slightest appreciation of a divine inspiration or destiny for human life ,or, of any concern of divine retribution for flaunting it, would openly and actively support such legislation. Or change marriage from a rational, constructive obligation instituted by God and intended for the protection and nurturing of children.. into an utter, sentiment drenched absurdity.. for that matter.

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Off topic, but

Godless atheists only agree on the non-existence of a deity. Other than that, they are a pretty diverse group. While its true most atheists are pro-life, a sizable minority are pro-life... about the same split as society in general.

For information about atheists and pro-Life see the "Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League" webpage
Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League Homepage
"... because life is all there is and all that matters, and
abortion destroys the life of an innocent human being."

A nontheistic and nonreligious opposition to the life-denying horror of abortion
I'm James Matthew (Matt) Wallace, aka The Compleat Heretic. I'm both a Secular Humanist atheist and a pro-life advocate. All too often, I fear that I'm the only nonreligious person who opposes the genocide of abortion used as a birth control substitute. Accordingly, I have created this web site as a virtual rallying point and clearinghouse for all atheists, agnostics, and other "godless" people who call themselves "pro-life."

rejecting God doesn't mean becoming immoral.

I'm agnostic (not the same as an atheist, but close). However I believe in treating others as they would have them treat you.

Which is why I support homosexual marriage.. I think its wrong to interfere in a love relationship between consenting adults... even if they are the same sex. (I'm heterosexual...)

BTW, I completely support the right of people to be a narrow minded religious zealot... up to the point where they try to impose their morality on others.

bank on topic... I would expect that atheists are split regarding decriminalizing or legalizing marijuana.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Atheist is as atheist does.. look at open season on fetuses in our country.. implemented by courts and legislators. No one with the slightest appreciation of a divine inspiration or destiny for human life ,or, of any concern of divine retribution for flaunting it, would openly and actively support such legislation. Or change marriage from a rational, constructive obligation instituted by God and intended for the protection and nurturing of children.. into an utter, sentiment drenched absurdity.. for that matter.

Many religions have no moral objections to abortion, including the traditional religions of China, India, and Japan. It appears only religions with their origins in the Middle East (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) find this to be such a terrible crime.

As for the tradition of marriage, it originated as a transfer of property (usually the woman) from one family to the next. God really had very little to with it, except for the tendency of religions to attempt to control all human activities.

I note that you did dodge the question. Can you name a single known atheist in the US government? It seems to me that US politicians go out of their way to profess their devotion to some imaginary deity or another. Of course, I suppose some of them could just be pretending.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Many religions have no moral objections to abortion, including the traditional religions of China, India, and Japan. It appears only religions with their origins in the Middle East (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) find this to be such a terrible crime.

Many eastern religions are not religions at all, simply exercizes aimed at achieving 'consciousness'. The profess no moral architecture to the universe or obligation of adherents.

As for the tradition of marriage, it originated as a transfer of property (usually the woman) from one family to the next. God really had very little to with it, except for the tendency of religions to attempt to control all human activities

Now that is the modern notion of marriage.. as property... a contractual dispersal of assets and obligations.. in effect only as long as both parties fufill their obligation.. or until one finds someone better. It's usually the women who gets left alone with the kids to support.. yup.. feminism has brought us a long way.

I note that you did dodge the question. Can you name a single known atheist in the US government? It seems to me that US politicians go out of their way to profess their devotion to some imaginary deity or another. Of course, I suppose some of them could just be pretending.

I'll name one in the Canadian government... Stephen Harper.. who came out full guns blazing against anti-abortion legislation proposed by members of his own party. Like all true NEO-conservatives he's an atheist and a hypocrite.. whose radical opposition to government.. or in his case fawning subserviance to the Global Inverstment Oligarchy.. supersedes all personal moral responsibility. Just like many neo-conservatives in the United States pay lip service to 'God' only to lock up a constituency for a completely ulterior motive.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Many eastern religions are not religions at all, simply exercizes aimed at achieving 'consciousness'. The profess no moral architecture to the universe or obligation of adherents.

Now that is the modern notion of marriage.. as property... a contractual dispersal of assets and obligations.. in effect only as long as both parties fufill their obligation.. or until one finds someone better. It's usually the women who gets left alone with the kids to support.. yup.. feminism has brought us a long way.

I'll name one in the Canadian government... Stephen Harper.. who came out full guns blazing against anti-abortion legislation proposed by members of his own party. Like all true NEO-conservatives he's an atheist and a hypocrite.. whose radical opposition to government.. or in his case fawning subserviance to the Global Inverstment Oligarchy.. supersedes all personal moral responsibility. Just like many neo-conservatives in the United States pay lip service to 'God' only to lock up a constituency for a completely ulterior motive.

Eastern religions are not really religions? I guess you would have to explain that to the billions of Asians who frequent temples on a regular basis, and the priests who serve them.

And no, traditional marriage has always been about transfer of property; hence the bride price exacted in many cultures; the dowry required in other cultures; and the fact that women have for centuries been regarded as property by their husbands. In fact all property in a marriage automatically belonged to the husband in most European marriages until the 20th Century, and it is still that way in many less enlightened nations.

Finally; you apparently know nothing about Stephen Harper. You man is a fundamentalist Christian - you know, those who don't believe in basic science like evolution and global warming. The reason he came out strongly against taking a position on abortion has very little to do with his personal beliefs and a great deal to do with political realities in Canada. First, an overwhelming majority of Canadians support abortion, including many who regularly vote Conservative and who are party members. Harper had no wish to give his political opponents any more ammunition than they already had or to divide his party.

BTW my challenge was to name an atheist in the US government; not the Canadian government. Canada is not nearly as religious as the US; in fact polls have shown that as many as 30% of Canadians may not believe in a deity and the number seems to be growing.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The biggest risk from using marijuana appears to be getting into an accident or getting busted. Moderate consumption of marijuana is not a big health risk and may even have some health benefits, just like moderate consumption of alcohol.

Which is what people are saying and do, they want pot for weekend use to relax, just like having a beer. They have jobs, families, property and take responsibility for their lives.

Yet the nutty religious moralists just want to inflict war, killing, violence and senseless suffering on people with our taxes.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The question is blasphemous. Who in their right mind wants to tarnish the holy plant by saving the goddamned American economy with it? That would mean the continuation of global conquest and imperial murder. Soon they won,t be making the rules anyway.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The question is blasphemous. Who in their right mind wants to tarnish the holy plant by saving the goddamned American economy with it? That would mean the continuation of global conquest and imperial murder. Soon they won,t be making the rules anyway.

Don't worry, clueless Obama is supporting Wall St as if nothing unusual has happened over the past five years. Like the great crash was caused by smelly feet. I would hate to live in the USA. Went to the same schools as Bush Jr. Yuck.

Make the holy plant legal so all can worship the weed openly!