Cost of living and salary

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Johnny gloated without using his brain, trying to be funny:

"haha you payed for sex"

I found that taking ladies to expensive dinners, to concerts, to movies or buying them gifts, cocktails and flowers - regrettably - not always ended up with receiving sexual favours.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anyone who tells you they are not paying for sex is lying. (or they have a really stupid partner)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Marriage is legalized prostitution. Sorry folks, but it is an expensive proposition.

Hah! As if. If it were legalized prostitution you wouldn't hear so many men complaining about wedding cake killing the sex drive. lol.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
JLM, when I was young, (as referred to in my previous post) I used to spend about 90% of my money for women and booze. The rest I spent foolishly.

Food and clothing is a waste of good beer money alright.

For 90g a year I would consider going back to camp. Not too sure about going to a city though.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Barbara, I live here but our situations are very different. My income is roughly 18 000$ a year, and I pay rent. I'm an independent worker and because of my expenses this year, I got an income tax refund.

But in your case, you can be sure to pay income tax, and they are high in Quebec. Did you calculate 90 000$ ''after tax'' according to Quebec income tax or according to where you live now?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi everyone

I'd really appreciate it if you could advise if 90.000 a year after tax is a decent salary in Montreal? We will have a small mortgage, have no kids.

grateful any insight you guys to provide

If you were actually worth $90,000.00 a year after taxes to anyone you wouldn't have to ask.......:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you were actually worth $90,000.00 a year after taxes to anyone you wouldn't have to ask.......:roll:

Yep, I pondered myself over the reason for having to ask that question. I think the to that could probably be googled.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If you were moving to Sweden and offered a salary of 173000 Kronas would you know if that is good or not?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you were moving to Sweden and offered a salary of 173000 Kronas would you know if that is good or not?

Would you have accepted and committed to an August move before finding out? Would you count on strangers on the internet to let you know instead of the bank, realtors, etc.?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Hi everyone

I'd really appreciate it if you could advise if 90.000 a year after tax is a decent salary in Montreal? We will have a small mortgage, have no kids.

grateful any insight you guys to provide

After tax and a dual income?

For Montreal that's not the greatest but you should get by with a very small mortgage.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
After tax and a dual income?

For Montreal that's not the greatest but you should get by with a very small mortgage.

Mortgage can be the killer in the big cities. With only a small mortgage, there will be no problem. I would think that would be a very good income, even in Montreal.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Would you have accepted and committed to an August move before finding out? Would you count on strangers on the internet to let you know instead of the bank, realtors, etc.?

No one is committed to anything until they do it, and yes I'd trust a CC member before a realtor. If I was moving to Sweden I wouldn't mind getting all the opinions I could for reassurance. If something jumped out as it being a horrible mistake I could dig deeper and if necessary bail out.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
No one is committed to anything until they do it, and yes I'd trust a CC member before a realtor. If I was moving to Sweden I wouldn't mind getting all the opinions I could for reassurance. If something jumped out as it being a horrible mistake I could dig deeper and if necessary bail out.

Yes. It would be a real lark if that Swedish company sent the $80,000.00 offer to you by mistake....;-):lol:

barbara30

Mar 26, 2010
I'm sorry but if i lived in Canada i would of course know if it was a good wage but living in Hong Kong it's kinda hard to know what the true cost of living is on the other side of the world. The whole point of forums is to get info and opinions from real people who live there day to day. I tried to google it but very little info other than the average wage in Canada seems to be around 50k.

We earn way more than 90.000 in HK but it's very expensive here local forums are full of people asking if there salary package is any good and people who are happy to help. No body makes a decision based on a forum but you can get a general idea about a place or situation from others then you make your own decision.

We are not committed to anything yet but with three months notice and the way things are going we can predict an arrival date in late August.

It appears as with most places there are people who have nothing helpful to say but still feel compelled to reply and or find fault. perhaps your time could be put to better use.