Corporations need to boost dividends to save the Canadian economy

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't know where all that cash is other than what the oil companies have stolen from us because there is no huge stockpile of money in the forest industry. In fact the major employer around here is in bankruptcy protection .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I don't know where all that cash is other than what the oil companies have stolen from us because there is no huge stockpile of money in the forest industry. In fact the major employer around here is in bankruptcy protection .
All the cash from the west goes to Ont and Quebec so they can pay their bills. It's high time they took responsibility for their own debt.

Quote:
Quebec and Ontario will receive the most from equalization payments in the 2012-2013 year.[3]
the following provinces will receive equalization payments:[3]
*Quebec ($7.391 billion)
*Ontario ($3.261 billion)
*Manitoba ($1.671 billion)
*New Brunswick ($1.495 billion)
*Nova Scotia ($1.268 billion)
*Prince Edward Island ($337 million)
The following provinces will not qualify for equalization payments in 2012-2013:
*Alberta
*Saskatchewan
*Newfoundland and Labrador
*British Columbia

BC will probably go NDP, so they will also soon become a have-not province.
AB will be carrying the can for the whole country, mostly .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
You realize that the equalization payments come from the federal gov't, not from the provinces, right?

Hahaha, yeah, right, it's like they have some magic to generate cash on their own.
Most of this equalization comes from the AB taxpayer!!! Learn how the system works...eh!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Hahaha, yeah, right, it's like they have some magic to generate cash on their own.
Most of this equalization comes from the AB taxpayer!!! Learn how the system works...eh!!

So, nobody pays any federal taxes, it's all provincial taxes that are seized by the federal government? That's a horrible system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I understand you to say that a couple of million Albertans are chipping in more than the other 32 million Canadians. Please confirm if that is correct or if you are just full of sh*t. :lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I understand you to say that a couple of million Albertans are chipping in more than the other 32 million Canadians. Please confirm if that is correct or if you are just full of sh*t. :lol:

Considering that Alberta doesn't have a provincial sales tax, they're actually not pulling their weight.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Considering that Alberta doesn't have a provincial sales tax, they're actually not pulling their weight.

Is it not possible that the potential from that tax is covered by some other tax or means? :smile:

I would also suggest that the high employment rate also detracts from the burden to the Feds.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Mr. Madani said that if 5% of the current assets held by Canada’s non-financial companies were paid out by companies today, personal disposable income in Canada would grow by 2.5%. That would be enough to boost consumption in Canada (provided all of it was spent) by 1%.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mr. Madani said that if 5% of the current assets held by Canada’s non-financial companies were paid out by companies today, personal disposable income in Canada would grow by 2.5%
Personal incomes of shareholders.