Cops are becoming pansies

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Of course they aren't trained to use discretion. You seem to think these people being hired are competent. Most are hired on at not much more than $17-$20/hr. They are glorified security guards. Stop expecting so much from them.
I have no idea what $17 to $20 an hour translates to but Bangcouver City cops get this:

Probationary Constable $54,336 4th Class Constable (after 1 year) $58,212 3rd Class Constable (after 2 years) $62,088 2nd Class Constable (after 3 years) $69,852 1st Class Constable (after 4 years) $77,616 And I don't care if they make minimum wage or $50,000 an hour, they seem to have little respect for life unless it is their own. If it isn't discretion, why is it that a most other police can get along quite well at taking down suspects safely and these jerks can't?
But you may have a point. It seems that North Americans don't take their jobs very seriously. Be nice if a firefighter relaxed and had a smoke while the pumper truck stalled during a fire, right? It'd be nice if kitchens in restaurants relaxed sanitary conditions because gov't inspectors relaxed, right?
Face it, the cops mentioned in this thread are doing a very sloppy job. And if they can't do their jobs properly, they shouldn't have their jobs.
So you can argue with me that sloppy is ok, but you won't ever convince me.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have no idea what $17 to $20 an hour translates to but Bangcouver City cops get this:

Probationary Constable $54,336 4th Class Constable (after 1 year) $58,212 3rd Class Constable (after 2 years) $62,088 2nd Class Constable (after 3 years) $69,852 1st Class Constable (after 4 years) $77,616 And I don't care if they make minimum wage or $50,000 an hour, they seem to have little respect for life unless it is their own. If it isn't discretion, why is it that a most other police can get along quite well at taking down suspects safely and these jerks can't?
But you may have a point. It seems that North Americans don't take their jobs very seriously. Be nice if a firefighter relaxed and had a smoke while the pumper truck stalled during a fire, right? It'd be nice if kitchens in restaurants relaxed sanitary conditions because gov't inspectors relaxed, right?
Face it, the cops mentioned in this thread are doing a very sloppy job. And if they can't do their jobs properly, they shouldn't have their jobs.
So you can argue with me that sloppy is ok, but you won't ever convince me.

Any job with a starting wage of over $50,000 sounds pretty damn good to me. A lot of jobs nowadays are less than 40 hours a week.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Probationary Constable $54,336 ....

Which is the equivalent of $26/hour. I wouldn't work for that in Moose Jaw let alone Vancouver. What are house prices like there? The wages for police officers are not attractive. Competent, capable people are not attracted to the job in any significant numbers. Therefore the police departments have to hire incompetents and work with what they have.

But you may have a point. It seems that North Americans don't take their jobs very seriously. Be nice if a firefighter relaxed and had a smoke while the pumper truck stalled during a fire, right?

Don't get me started on firefighters...

It'd be nice if kitchens in restaurants relaxed sanitary conditions because gov't inspectors relaxed, right?

Whether it's nice or not, it is what happens.

Face it, the cops mentioned in this thread are doing a very sloppy job.

They are doing what they are trained to do. If you want to train them to a higher standard, you need to raise hiring standards to a higher level. People want to put the cart before the horse. Until being a cop becomes an attractive career to the right types of individuals, we will continue to see these problems.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Which is the equivalent of $26/hour.
It's more than what you said, isn't it?
I wouldn't work for that in Moose Jaw let alone Vancouver.
Obviously some people would work in either place.
What are house prices like there? The wages for police officers are not attractive. Competent, capable people are not attracted to the job in any significant numbers. Therefore the police departments have to hire incompetents and work with what they have.
Funny, I thought that's what training is for, to make people competent and capable.

Don't get me started on firefighters...
Sorry. You probably have as warped a view of what a good firefighter is as you seem to have about competent cops. I won't ask you to apologize for the bad firefighters.

Whether it's nice or not, it is what happens.
Fortunately, not as frequently as it could happen.

They are doing what they are trained to do. If you want to train them to a higher standard, you need to raise hiring standards to a higher level. People want to put the cart before the horse. Until being a cop becomes an attractive career to the right types of individuals, we will continue to see these problems.
Perhaps you'd like it if we just hired all the people in prisons as cops so you could apologize for them, too?
Funny how the majority of cops can get by without killing people and make do with their wages. Yet these few that you apologize for can't seem to manage to do the same.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Gez Colpy, maybe I heard incorrectly. I, too, will defer to you. Maybe I did hear "stop" and substituted it with "kill". If I did, my "bad".

Obviously I do not support "bad" cops - and while there are indeed bad cops, I've never had the privledge of meeting one and, hopefully, never will. To clarify, I support all those out there who do their jobs well.