Conservatives: Not our job to feed starving Canadian children

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Taken literally, I agree with Moore. Can you see government members in various kitchens across the country feeding these kids? Too funny!!

I don't understand WHY there are so many kids going hungery considering the supports that are available; food bank, school lunch programs, Income Supports, Child Tax Credits etc., etc.not necessarily in that order. I suspect if the figures given (over 300,000 kids per day going hungry, the Iast I heard) are true, we have a SERIOUS problem - serious PARENTAL problem. Lazy parenting seems to be the issue. I don't mind giving a hand up and do so regularly. I do, however, have a problem giving a "hand out" with no reprecussion. The attitude of that lady in the video above, (15 kids and somebody has to take responsibility) is EXACTLY the issue. Had she not heard of birth control? Of tying her tubes? b4 she had 15 kids? Unbelievable. And now its our problem (or at the very least, someone elses' problem) to feed her kids. Guess personal responsibility went out the door quite some time ago. I sincerely hope she is an exception, but somehow, I doubt it. That's the scarey part.

Mr. Moore has indeed opened the door to this discussion. People may get down on him, but I think a reality check needs to be made as well. I'm not heartless, nor do I think Mr. Moore is. He could have stated things a bit differently, but I, at least, got the jist of what he was saying and I agree to some extent. We are a generous people and always rise to challenges when people are hurting. That said, we need to insiste that people also take responsibility for their actions.

JMHO

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Taken literally, I agree with Moore. Can you see government members in various kitchens across the country feeding these kids? Too funny!!

I don't understand WHY there are so many kids going hungery considering the supports that are available; food bank, school lunch programs, Income Supports, Child Tax Credits etc., etc.not necessarily in that order. I suspect if the figures given (over 300,000 kids per day going hungry, the Iast I heard) are true, we have a SERIOUS problem - serious PARENTAL problem. Lazy parenting seems to be the issue. I don't mind giving a hand up and do so regularly. I do, however, have a problem giving a "hand out" with no reprecussion. The attitude of that lady in the video above, (15 kids and somebody has to take responsibility) is EXACTLY the issue. Had she not heard of birth control? Of tying her tubes? b4 she had 15 kids? Unbelievable. And now its our problem (or at the very least, someone elses' problem) to feed her kids. Guess personal responsibility went out the door quite some time ago. I sincerely hope she is an exception, but somehow, I doubt it. That's the scarey part.

Mr. Moore has indeed opened the door to this discussion. People may get down on him, but I think a reality check needs to be made as well. I'm not heartless, nor do I think Mr. Moore is. He could have stated things a bit differently, but I, at least, got the jist of what he was saying and I agree to some extent. We are a generous people and always rise to challenges when people are hurting. That said, we need to insiste that people also take responsibility for their actions.

JMHO
But but it's all for the children don't you know.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

JMHO

They'd more than likely burn the f**kin' house down!

To "put it in a nutshell" I believe in helping people who help themselves.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Then the unemployment rate should always be at 0% or do the unemployed manipulate the markets so they just happen to be out of luck in jumping their income from $7,000/year to $70,000/year. I'm quite sure any of the ones saying the needy should take care of themselves would also be the first one to whine if they lost their house to a disaster that the insurance company was able to cancel their obligation to cover any costs.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

It's not up to the federal government to help out children who don't have enough to eat, Industry Minister James Moore said in Vancouver.

Speaking to a Vancouver radio station Friday, Moore said British Columbia's child poverty rates aren't the responsibility of the federal government, and it won't "usurp" the province.

"Is it the government's job — my job to feed my neighbour's children? I don't think so," Moore said.

CBC News - James Moore: Not my job to 'feed neighbour's children'

The thread Title is misleading. That would be like starting a thread saying New Democrats wear beards and then telling a story of Mulcair and his beard. Moore is one MP among many.