Connecticut versus Texas: battle brewing over birthplace of the hamburger

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - A burger battle is brewing between a Texas state legislator and the owners of a New Haven restaurant who claim the hamburger was invented in Connecticut.

With the new session of the Texas legislature now underway, Republican state Representative Betty Brown has proposed a resolution declaring Athens, Texas, the original home of the hamburger.

Brown, an Athens resident, says that a long-ago resident of the town had a luncheonette in the late 1880s and sold the first burgers there.

Those claims are not sitting well with Ken Lassen Sr., 89, third-generation owner of Louis' Lunch, established in 1895. He says his grandfather came up with the first hamburger there.

Lassen said it happened in 1900 when a man rushed into the restaurant asked for something he could eat on the run. Ken Lassen's grandfather grabbed a broiled beef patty and put it between two slices of bread.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., advocating for his city, backs the Lassens and their claims.

"We are even the birthplace of George Bush, who wants people to think he's from Texas," the mayor said. "So yes, the hamburger is as much a New Haven original as President Bush. Get over it, Texas."

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only in America can politicans argue over a hamburger.

However, I do know that BOTH Connecticut and Texas are wrong, as the Hamburger was invented in Hamburg, Germany - hence its name. Likewise, the Frankfurter was invented in Frankfurt.

Americans also mysteriously claim the invention of the hot dog and the pizza - which were invented by the British and Italians respectively.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No. I'm just telling the truth.

It's stupid that Texas and Connecticut are fighting over who invented the hamburger when it was actually invented in Hamburg. And why else do you think it's called a hamburger?

"The word "Hamburger" comes from Hamburg, Germany; the inhabitants of this city are also known as "Hamburger" in German but as Hamburgians in English. In Germany, local traditional snacks are often named after the place of origin, like the Frankfurter (also known as a hotdog sausage), the Berliner (a type of "doughnut") or (Nürnberger) Bratwurst. In Hamburg it was common to put a piece of roast pork into a roll, called Rundstück warm, although this is missing the "essence" of the modern hamburger, which is ground meat. Yet another theory however states that also in Hamburg, Germany, meatscraps, similar to modern ground beef were served on a Brötchen,[2] a round bun-shaped piece of bread. It is said that German immigrants then took the Hamburger to the United States, where the bun was added, creating the modern Hamburger."

wikipedia.com
---------------------------

I've just managed to solve the problem a lot faster than the Connecticut restaurant owner and the Texas state legislator.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You are partially correct blackleaf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger
Etymology

The word "Hamburger" comes from Hamburg, Germany; the inhabitants of this city are also known as "Hamburger" in German but as Hamburgians in English. In Germany, local traditional snacks are often named after the place of origin, like the Frankfurter (also known as a hotdog), the Berliner (a type of "doughnut") or (Nürnberger) Bratwurst. In Hamburg it was common to put a piece of roast pork into a roll, called Rundstück warm, although this is missing the "essence" of the modern hamburger, which is ground meat. Yet another theory however states that also in Hamburg, Germany, meatscraps, similar to modern ground beef were served on a Brötchen,[2] a round bun-shaped piece of bread. It is said that German immigrants then took the Hamburger to the United States, where the bun was added, creating the modern Hamburger.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It wasn't called a "hamburger" but my grand father told of how tougher cuts of beef were ground up and used to make meat patties that were fried for the men working on harvest crews in the mid eighteen hundreds in Saskatchewan. Putting these between two slices of bread saved time. Get lost Connecticut. and Texas.:wave:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
and the Earl of Sandwich was so into his gambling that he got his servants to place roast beef between two slices of bread so he could eat it without leaving the table, hence creating the sandwich, which is the precursor

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Have to agree hermanntrude, the Earl Of Sandwich was born in the early seventeen hundreds and he pre-dates both Conecticut and Texas.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you know there's a town called sandwich? the place the earl was earl of. There's another town nearby called Ham. There's a signpost between them which says "ham sandwich". Very amusing. Also there are amusing signposts all over the town of sandwich... for instance "sandwich police"

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good stuff L.G.

I will buy all about the Pizza, and the hot dog, etc, but the Earl of Sandwich holds claim to the first meat between bread, in that he was clearly identified...not some Viking...or some Mongol....but "The Earl of Sandwich"....:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Since when has Americans claimed that we, as Americans, invented pizza.

It is a common known fact that it is an Italian dish.

However I can claim IMO that we make better Italian food than Italians. I've been to Italy and I will take any Italian restaraunt in the North End of Boston over any of Italy's restaraunts.

People from Connecticut share a lot of similarities to some on this board. In New England it is the Cry Baby State. It is constantly trying to keep up with and bring down Massachusetts because no one will really pay attention to it. NH, VT, ME, and RI are proud to be who they are but not Connecticut. Oh no... they want to be more.

I love how the New England Patriots used Connecticut as a bargaining tool in Mass to have a new stadium built. Connecticut spent millions on a design, arranged for land purchases and basically did everything to try to pry the Patriots out of Massachusetts. Then one morning the radio announced that the Pats are staying in Mass and a deal was finally sealed. Connecticut jumped up and down and whined and cried and of course... filed suit. The Patriots won of course.

Sooooo sorrrry CT.