Connacher oilsands project resumes

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
That's all lovely, but I've looked at the plans for the tailings ponds for Kearl Lake (as I'm an engineer working with it). It makes me gag. You're not the only one who operates internationally, either.

I am not trying to apologize for big oil.
I simply disagree with some of the lame old green-peace party line and erroneous spin that gets posted here.
I personally do not take on any contracts in heavy oil and have chosen to stay out of that type of work for close to 25 years now but I somewhat understand the processes involved and have a few old friends in the game.
And yes Kearl Lake is does indeed appear to be a large strip mine that I presume will entail huge amounts of overburden removal as well as large settling and tailings ponds as well as massive cleanup requirements.
And perhaps all new strip mines should be put on hold until we clean up the old ones.

However it doesn't change the fact that Imperial Oil's SAGD and Huff and Puff type production in Cold Lake is large scale and does not entail strip mines.
Nor does it change the fact that Connacher Oil the subject of this thread is another SAGD operation and not a strip mine.
Nor does it change the fact that the vast majority of future heavy oil projects planned do not entail strip mines.
But of course you know that.

Ultimately if you are a strong environmentalist you cannot support any large scale industrial development.
I understand that position but I tend to be more of a realist.
I believe people need jobs
Should all logging in BC be shut down, all the mills closed?
Should all hard rock mining in northern Ontario stopped?
Would the southern coast of British Columbia be more pristine if the City of Vancouver didn't exist?

You say the proposal for the Kearl Lakes tailing ponds that you are working on make you gag.
Why do you work on developments you are morally opposed to?
Isn't that a little hypocritical?

Trex

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't you ever get to feeling rather silly and hypocritical in the face of all of the damning evidence that clearly indicates that global warming/climate change hysteria fraud is a farce?

really man - open your eyes.
So who is behind it and why? You've been asked this so anytime you are ready bring your "damnning evidence" to the table I'd love to review it.

And yeah it has indeed been you who has been making these claims.

So why are the oil companies trying to help reduce consumption and consumption methodologies?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So who is behind it and why? You've been asked this so anytime you are ready bring your "damnning evidence" to the table I'd love to review it.

So why are the oil companies trying to help reduce consumption and consumption methodologies?

Once we get a unanimous opinion on global warming, then we can figure out how to proceed.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Once we get a unanimous opinion on global warming, then we can figure out how to proceed.

Right... some people actually still believe that we live on a disc and not a globe...

There will always be loons. We can't wait for them to wise up, because that will never happen.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Right... some people actually still believe that we live on a disc and not a globe..."

Hey, that works well for some people- if you never travel more than a mile or two from home, then the part of the earth you are dealing with is basically flat. It's just when we start getting technical that all sorts of problems arise.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Engineering is my gig too Juan.
Been there,don that.
I presently own an dinky little consulting company that operates internationally.

My position is not that there is no environmental damage up there.
There is.
Suncor is what, 20 years or so old?
And yes those two huge old strip mines with their resultant tailing ponds are a big problem.

But as an expert in Tar Sands production practices surely you know all about how the newer developments are planned?
No strip mines. Recycled water. SAGD. Huff and Puff. In Situ fire flood. Enhanced miscibility. Brine production wells. Disposal wells. Extended reach laterals. Dried solids disposal.Superpads.

You know about all that kind of thing right Juan?
Or perhaps not?
No worries though because I do.
And I would be happy to chat with you about the latest and greatest production techniques some other time.

So if you knew so much about the new practices why would you post a cut'n'paste environmental screed that natters on about the twenty odd year old strip mines?
Its not what they do now.

Yes they do need to reclaim those huge old strip mines.
Yes that huge old tailings pond is a potential nightmare.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with newer developments.
Or the development that this thread is talking about.

Surely you know outdated spin when you see it?
Why post it?

Trex

We didn't need yet another haughty, sarcastic tirade.

I won't care about any newer oil sands developements until the existing mess is cleaned up. The tailing ponds that you don't care about are leaching poison into the Athabaska river. You say they are a nightmare but that we should forget about them in favour of the new, wonderful systems that are as yet untried. If the tar sand developement was just outside Calgary or Edmonton, the tailing ponds would have been cleaned up years ago if either city would allow the smelly mess in the first place. What do multinational oil companies care about somebody else's ecology? Obviously not much.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Well petros, it seems as if you've been running around without wearing your hockey helmet again.

So, who's behind the cooling trend?... That'd be good ole Mother Nature.

The damning evidence?.. Well, that'd be graphs (such as the one I recently responded to) that clearly showed that the trend was cooling.

As far as your bizarre comment about the oil companies trying to reduce consumption.. I have no idea what you're talking about.. Chances are that you have no idea as well.

So there we go, alright.. Your ridiculous questions are answered (again).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well petros, it seems as if you've been running around without wearing your hockey helmet again.

The damning evidence?.. Well, that'd be graphs (such as the one I recently responded to) that clearly showed that the trend was cooling.

As far as your bizarre comment about the oil companies trying to reduce consumption.. I have no idea what you're talking about.. Chances are that you have no idea as well.

YOu'd think that a fella named Petros would be behind oil 100%, no?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
"Right... some people actually still believe that we live on a disc and not a globe..."

Hey, that works well for some people- if you never travel more than a mile or two from home, then the part of the earth you are dealing with is basically flat. It's just when we start getting technical that all sorts of problems arise.

Works well for some...sure, so does belief in other nonsense. It doesn't work well for delaying any action until 100% consensus is reached...

YOu'd think that a fella named Petros would be behind oil 100%, no?

LOL... Petros is from old Greek meaning rock or stone, and petroleum products are named so because they are oils found ...in rock. So maybe 50% behind it, ignoring the silliness. :idea:

What is it with you and absolutes anyways?

You'd think so, but apparently we are both mistaken.

Yup, you're both mistaken.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"What is it with you and absolutes anyways?"- One of my first rules of thumb is "there's an exception to every rule"- and that even applies to politicians. LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Nice try fart knocker.

So it has cooled to below the 1000 year mean or is still above the mean? Yes or no?

You still haven't answered the question of "who is steering the deception of etheogenic CO2 causing global warming and what is their end goal?"

You calim it is a lie so who is behind the lie?