Competence - Mental that is.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
She is currently at the University of Lethbridge taking Sociology. She would like to get into social work of some type. She would like to work (probably volunteer) for the Alzheimer's Society or The Canadian Mental Health Association. The problem right now is that the doctors opinions are only important as they relate to imminent threats. My wife engaged in all types of reckless behaviors for years. We knew this what not her normal self. She was seen by a mental health professional as early as 2005 when we tricked her into going (we told her my daughter was having troubles) and after speaking with her for all of 5 minutes, he asked her to leave and told me she was showing clear signs of early onset dementia. It still took 3 years to get her in front of a psychiatrist. She just refused to go.

We think that some lobbying needs to be done to change the law and probably an existing organization is best suited to do it. There must be a better way than sitting back and allowing somebody to spiral down until they try and hurt themselves or others before family, friend or the medical community can step in.
same for street people...can't intervene even when they are walking around in flip flops in sub zero weather...can't infringe on their rights, can't make anyone take meds, I don't know what the answer is, but the way we are handling it now is horrific

If I was in that bad a shape I would hope someone would force some meds down my throat until the fog cleared

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
same for street people...can't intervene even when they are walking around in flip flops in sub zero weather...can't infringe on their rights, can't make anyone take meds, I don't know what the answer is, but the way we are handling it now is horrific

If I was in that bad a shape I would hope someone would force some meds down my throat until the fog cleared

I was told by a cop to have her arrested for something. Accuser her of coming at you with a knife or uttering a threat. I judge may send her for a psych assessment or at least give her the option between that and going to jail. Of course, that only works if there are enough beds to send her for a psych evaluation. If not she goes to jail. That's what happened to an Old couple in Winnipeg. The cops convinced the old lady to press charges against her husband who had Alzheimer's. They said it was the fastest way to get him help. He ended up spending months in jail.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That's a tough situation. I wish I knew of something that could help or knew of some place that could help.

For better or for worse, eh? Is there any respite care you can access for a break here and there?

Maybe once FMRI and the brain is better understood they'll be able to recognize brain damage easier and know just what those damaged areas are responsible for.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That's a tough situation. I wish I knew of something that could help or knew of some place that could help.

For better or for worse, eh? Is there any respite care you can access for a break here and there?

Maybe once FMRI and the brain is better understood they'll be able to recognize brain damage easier and know just what those damaged areas are responsible for.

She's been in a facility for about 3 years now. She moved out and into her parents and eventually tried to push her dad down a flight of stairs. There was a bed open and she chose the hospital over city cells. Once her actions caused an imminent risk to somebody the ball got rolling. I'm just glad there was a bed available at the hospital. People don't really understand how ****ed up the system is. I remember everybody being shocked when the beheading happened on the bus. Not me.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Right on Sal, I think when it is obvious someone is not in their right mind, some sensible and knowledgeable person has to be appointed to make decisions in their best interests.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was told by a cop to have her arrested for something. Accuser her of coming at you with a knife or uttering a threat. I judge may send her for a psych assessment or at least give her the option between that and going to jail. Of course, that only works if there are enough beds to send her for a psych evaluation. If not she goes to jail. That's what happened to an Old couple in Winnipeg. The cops convinced the old lady to press charges against her husband who had Alzheimer's. They said it was the fastest way to get him help. He ended up spending months in jail.
wow huh....I get we need to protect people's rights but people's safety needs to enter into it too.

And I know that even suicidal people can be turned away during triage because we don't have the beds. We don't view mental health in the same way as a cardiac arrest but it can be as killing.

I saw this a few months ago, it seems to fit in here....

What If People Treated Physical Illness Like Mental Illness?