Colorado man fatally shoots stepdaughter mistaken for burglar

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
REUTERS
First posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:12 PM EST | Updated: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:23 PM EST
DENVER - A 14-year-old Colorado girl mistaken for a burglar was shot and killed by her stepfather early on Monday morning at the home they shared, police said.
Police in Colorado Springs were called to respond to a report of a burglary on the city's north side and arrived at the scene to find the girl gravely injured from a gunshot wound, according to a police statement.
The girl was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead, said police spokesman Larry Herbert.
No other details about the shooting, nor the identities of the victim or her stepfather, were released.
Herbert said no arrests had been made and the case was referred to the district attorney's office to determine whether criminal charges were warranted.
Colorado's so-called "Make My Day" law allows members of the public who face a home invasion to use deadly force if the intruder is believed to be committing a crime, immunizing the home owner from criminal prosecution or civil liability.
Colorado man fatally shoots stepdaughter mistaken for burglar | World | News | Toronto Sun

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nice memories for the rest of his life.

Colorado's so-called "Make My Day" law allows members of the public who face a home invasion to use deadly force if the intruder is believed to be committing a crime, immunizing the home owner from criminal prosecution or civil liability.
Brilliant

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No happy hohoho for this guy for a few years. Feel bad for the daughter and him. :/
yeah while I think he is a d ick head...ya have to feel sorry for the guy...

his life is pretty well over now... I would rather someone take everything in my home than live with the memory of killing someone accidentally. Bet he feels that way now. Too late.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No happy hohoho for this guy for a few years. Feel bad for the daughter and him. :/

No mention of the mother in the article. What hell she must be going through! To loose your child and the one person you probably want to turn the most, your husband, is actually the person who killed her.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Pretty sad when you consider that well over a hundred thousand people are shot in the U.S. every year.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
But, but they all have the right to bear arms and use them in a situation of
deadly force. The problem is with such laws many people know what the
hell a gun can do and how to use it and how to determine whether they are
under a serious threat. Others like myself do not know how to use a gun and
I know better than to have one. Even if we had such a law I would not have
one and this is a classic example of why. Two for Christmas Dinner not three.
I am not joking in that statement I can't imagine what that family is going through
at this moment. HIs rights trumped his wisdom in this case.

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
REUTERS
First posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:12 PM EST | Updated: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:23 PM EST
DENVER - A 14-year-old Colorado girl mistaken for a burglar was shot and killed by her stepfather early on Monday morning at the home they shared, police said.
Police in Colorado Springs were called to respond to a report of a burglary on the city's north side and arrived at the scene to find the girl gravely injured from a gunshot wound, according to a police statement.
The girl was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead, said police spokesman Larry Herbert.
No other details about the shooting, nor the identities of the victim or her stepfather, were released.
Herbert said no arrests had been made and the case was referred to the district attorney's office to determine whether criminal charges were warranted.
Colorado man fatally shoots stepdaughter mistaken for burglar | World | News | Toronto Sun
This brings back memories when my then husband (now ex) took me out in the woods on a hunting trip and tried to "accidentially" shoot me. I lived to divorce him, then he married his old flame who by then had a 15 year old daughter. A year later the daughter was accidentially shot in the basement of their home.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
yeah while I think he is a d ick head...ya have to feel sorry for the guy...

I don't. Depending on his training, he was told, very seriously, somewhere between a dozen and a thousand times to be sure of his target. He didn't listen. That ain't sad, that's stupid.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't. Depending on his training, he was told, very seriously, somewhere between a dozen and a thousand times to be sure of his target. He didn't listen. That ain't sad, that's stupid.

With lax laws, standards, easy access, makes them readily available.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
REUTERS

At least it doesn't seem like the Make My Day law will come into effect since it didn't out-and-out say that no charges would be laid since the person killed was NOT a burgler. Otherwise too many people would be able to murder family members and then claim that they were burglers as they would know nothing would happen to them.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
This brings back memories when my then husband (now ex) took me out in the woods on a hunting trip and tried to "accidentially" shoot me. I lived to divorce him, then he married his old flame who by then had a 15 year old daughter. A year later the daughter was accidentially shot in the basement of their home.
:shock:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
At least it doesn't seem like the Make My Day law will come into effect since it didn't out-and-out say that no charges would be laid since the person killed was NOT a burgler. Otherwise too many people would be able to murder family members and then claim that they were burglers as they would know nothing would happen to them.
And that may indeed be the reason why it has not said anything "yet" about charges laid. My first thought was...hm 14, stepdaughter... it wouldn't be the first time.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Sad situation all around. I'm sure he is in a living hell right now. Not sure how it reminds someone of how their ex tried to accidentally shoot them. But then I hope they realize that putting unsubstantiated accusations out on the web isn't very bright.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But... but... but it's her fault for not being armed. If good people were armed, they could better defend themselves.

Now extend that logic, and I can guarantee you if I ever walk through a mall in the US and someone drops a table on the ground making a cracking sound, I'm hitting the deck before the firefight starts.