Climate change causing Calgary to alter how it plans for the future

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The folks in BC won't like this, but it would be nice to have the new west coast and Jasper within walking distance. :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I love how the guy in the article references the flood of 2013 as an example of "climate change". Jesus Christ, that whole section of town was built an on old flood plain. Gosh, what are the odds that a flood plain would flood again at some point?

The folks in BC won't like this, but it would be nice to have the new west coast and Jasper within walking distance. :)
I'd be willing to bet that the Wet Coast will be under water as a result of a large earthquake before it has to worry too much about rising sea levels.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I love how the guy in the article references the flood of 2013 as an example of "climate change". Jesus Christ, that whole section of town was built an on old flood plain. Gosh, what are the odds that a flood plain would flood again at some point?

There's a town just South of Calgary that got nailed by the floods in 2013 as well.

High River Alberta was built along the banks of the Highwood River and, well, the town got hit hard.

It seemed to come as a surprise to many that the Highwood River would ever breach its banks and there would ever be flooding in High River.

... Gotta be global warming, there is no other explanation

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Spell check. Most people are aware of it.

Too bad for Calgary though.

Too baby.

There's a town just South of Calgary that got nailed by the floods in 2013 as well.

High River Alberta was built along the banks of the Highwood River and, well, the town got hit hard.

It seemed to come as a surprise to many that the Highwood River would ever breach its banks and there would ever be flooding in High River.

... Gotta be global warming, there is no other explanation

We went from drought to spring floods looming in a matter of 48hrs.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
We went from drought to spring floods looming in a matter of 48hrs.

Gonna be some interesting days ahead for us here in S. AB.

A heavy snow pack on the prairies and the mountains, largely due to no chinooks of substance knocking down the seasonal build-up.

Spring is here and still lots of snow cover (read: the ground remains frozen).

If we get a normal spring blow through and IS there is some rain in the forecast, i expect that there will be some real problems with flooding again