Christmas should be banned, says Lefty Labour think-tank

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I don't think goverment should have anything to do with religion, religious holidays or anything spiritual. The christ mass is not going to go any where just because the gov stops using public money to promote it. Christmas is about retail these days. Money will talk.

I will celebrate Yule as per my path and totally ignore Merry Christmas banners in gov buildings.

Where is the gov to draw the line? We are increasingly a more and more multicultural world. WASP's are a minority in many metro areas. Not likely to see gov funding to pagan celebrations.

Reactions: JoeSchmoe

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
You have an excellent point there -- certain right wing pundits insist that the government is out to suppress Christianity by being anti-Christmas. This is an absurd idea that has no basis in reality. On top of all that, Christmas isn't even a Christian or Biblical holiday! Instead, it is a pagan festival.

Therefore, how can the government be ''anti-Christian'' in this respect??

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I don't think goverment should have anything to do with religion, religious holidays or anything spiritual. The christ mass is not going to go any where just because the gov stops using public money to promote it. Christmas is about retail these days. Money will talk.

I will celebrate Yule as per my path and totally ignore Merry Christmas banners in gov buildings.

Where is the gov to draw the line? We are increasingly a more and more multicultural world. WASP's are a minority in many metro areas. Not likely to see gov funding to pagan celebrations.

What do you suggest, that we git rid of all holidays that might happen to coincide with someones religious celebrations?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
By Thor, I hate journalists:

By JAMES CHAPMAN
1st November 2007
Daily Mail

The report by the Institute for Public Policy Research was commissioned when Nick Pearce, now head of public policy at Downing Street, was its director.

"If we are going to continue as a nation to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organisations should mark other religious festivals too.

Sayeeda Warsi, the Conservative spokesman on community cohesion, said: "Their comments betray a breathtaking misunderstanding of what it is to be British. These proposals could actually damage cohesion."

She added: "You don't build community cohesion by throwing out our history and denying the fundamental contribution Christianity has played and does play to our nation.

IPPR: We should organize holiday celebrations for other prominent cultures in our nation in line with their unique traditions and keep our own.

Con. Spokeswoman: They want to ban Christmas!

Journalist: Political correctness is going too far.

Then the IPPR would reply, ".... What the #3||?"

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hahah Niflmir

I just watched a live broadcast this morning of the opening of Parliament - you know the two Houses in the same room (oh god) listening to the Queen's Speech for the year...

All that ceremony full of pomp and circumstance.... and they want to dump Christmas????

The whole monarchy is based upon the practices of religious devotion, bowing and praying and hymns and they discuss separation of Church and State har har har

What about those old buggy wigs they still wear......shiver....now that's something worth dumping!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I celebrate the birth of Jesus everyday; without him we're lost and I'm sure He doesn't mind about the secular celebrations being reduced or lost altogether.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Honestly, I have never really understood why anyone (except maybe the Jehovahs witnesses) would be offended by Christmas. Santa, reindeer, gift giving, lighting your house, mistletoe, wreathes, magic elves and the north pole; its all based on cultural influences outside of Christianity, although currently lensed by it. Its a cultural experience, not a religious one, regardless of people who would lay claim to ownership of it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I've always felt it what you make of it. Some people get stressed right out over gifts and make themselves miserable while they would be much happier if they just got busy having a good time with people and spread some joy around. It doesn't matter what you've got, but what you do that's really important.

There are a couple of things that we have made into tradition around our place. We set up our Christmas tree on December 8th each year.

It started with my mother actually and we've carried it over to my family and now is the traditional day we set it up. The thing is, it's the day John Lennon was shot and killed. So we listen to some Beatles and Lennon's Double Fantasy album, yes album on vinyl. :)

Each year we try and make a gift for each other. We still buy some gifts but there is always a little something that we've made now.

My son has become "a fiance" this year and so we have a new woman to bring into the circle. She is a traditional country girl from Japan who was here studying as a student. So the whole culture aspect has a new relevance as she is very keen on understanding our culture. She also brings her own culture as well and so it's a very rich experience for me. I love some things about old Japanese culture.

Though I wax sentimental here my meaning is to make it your own in finding the things that you like about the season and those people you hold dear, and make them your own to celebrate.

Whether it's a religious observance of some kind or a display of affection and socializing with friends, it's probably what anyone, profit, deity, ancestor or creator would be proud to see should they look in on your activities come Christmas.