Chris Benoit Update

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well maybe you guys did have a clue, or already knew, I just didn't see much talk about his top turn buckle head butt finishing move thingy, and seemed more focused on Chairs as being what caused the problems with Chris.

Just wanted to point that part out before things went a bit too far with the chairs. :p

His head butt move would attribute to what Karrie was talking about with the shock to the brain, which is quite true. We know it was the butler who done it, we just had the wrong murder weapon.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
those are head injuries gopher. You may not see it as being as drastic as a chair upside the head, but, when you stop a running man dead in his tracks and flip him over backwards, the amount of force which snaps back and forth across the brain stem, and then the force which sloshes his brain around in his skull when he then hits the ground, is MOST DEFINITELY a head injury. Of the highest order.

It doesn't matter what I say or think or what you say or think.

The key is, what does medical science say on this matter???

The source I provided ascribes the problem to head shots, not to anything else. And they are sport's foremost experts on the subject.

amagqira

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2006
Alberta
It probably doesn't matter. I suspect both Karrie and Gopher are right. Hit a skull hard enough and you will bruise the brain below the impact area and maybe even crack the skull. Hit a skull not fixed in space, and the brain will move to the opposite side in the direction of the original blow and bash against the other side of the skull and bruise the opposite side of the brain. And a bruise of the brain looks as bad as a bruise of a leg.

I dislike both boxing and modern wrestling match exhibitions and avoid them as far as possible, I'm not surprised he ended up with severe brain atrophy, dementia and emotional instability. Makes me wonder about the rest of them.

Sorry for ranting and raining on your parade Gopher, but there it is.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
That's quite all right --- all are free to voice their opinion.

But if you want me to accept anything as fact, you must present evidence that refutes the conclusions these experts have reached.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Your experts never did any side by side comparison on that site, that I could find, that compared stationary head blows to moving head injuries like clotheslining or, as Prax pointed out, a jump off the ropes.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
It's a strong likelihood that they would first have to recognize that as a significant factor as are direct head injuries for them to reach the same conclusion you have.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Ok, Karrie and Goph stand side by each and we'll hit one with a chair and one with a top-turnbuckle head butt. Over and over.

See which one kills their family first.

How'zat??

Now, you do realize I'm kidding, right??

ha ha ?

:cool:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
I've decided to weigh in here

All of most of my life I ignored pro wrestling.Then I fell in love with a guy who was totally into it. God love him, he died several years ago. But in our time together, he drug me to wrestling matches in St. Paul.

Hey, Gopher! Maybe we saw each other there?

I was easily hooked. What woman wouldn't love watching extremely well-built, scantily-clad men throw each other around? Sweet.

And better yet, we found out what bar they would go to after the match. And we would go and buy them a drink and get to know them. And they were, for the most part, wonderful people. Smart, funny, caring.

Hearing about Benoit was a total shock for me. Well, not really, because I already knew that a certain Federation was getting quite ugly. Too bad. They were riding a high wave there, making lots of money. But greed took over, people died. Now they slink back into an obscurity, for a while.

Sad.

amagqira

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2006
Alberta
That's quite all right --- all are free to voice their opinion.
But if you want me to accept anything as fact, you must present evidence that refutes the conclusions these experts have reached.

Brain contusions commonly are identified in patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI) and represent regions of primary neuronal and vascular injury. These edematous lesions contain punctate parenchymal hemorrhages, which are termed microhemorrhages. By definition these parenchymal bruises are found on the surfaces of the brain. Blood may extend bidirectionally into the white matter and the subdural and subarachnoid spaces.
Contusions are formed in 2 ways: direct trauma and acceleration/deceleration injury. Direct trauma causes injury at the site of impact, which is termed a coup contusion, while deceleration causes injury at a site opposite to the site of impact, which is termed a contrecoup contusion.
In the first mechanism, direct trauma, the head is not in motion. This mechanism may result in a scalp or skull injury.
The second mechanism is related to acceleration (eg, boxing injury) or deceleration (eg, motor vehicle accident), which causes the brain to strike the skull. In an event in which the head is in motion, cortical injury occurs adjacent to the floor of the anterior or posterior cranial fossa, the sphenoid wing, the petrous ridge, the convexity of the skull, and the falx or tentorium. The inferior frontal and temporal lobes are particularly vulnerable.

http://www.emedicine.com/Radio/topic97.htm

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``in our time together, he drug me to wrestling matches in St. Paul.``

Lucky you! But he probably likes the girls in skimpy outfits grappling in the middle of the ring for the same reason!:p

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
~~ emedicine ~~ report:

I briefly scanned the article and see that it mentions the possibility of this occurring in sports. But it does not indicate that it is as significant as are direct impact.

amagqira

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2006
Alberta
I tend to believe that given the nature of most kinds of sport, movement is the rule rather than the exception( of course that would exclude chess ):lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You all kinda missed the big picture in this topic. Chris's brain damage had hardly anything to do with chairs to the head, but his finishing move he performed almost every match for the last number of decades.... since I was a kid anyways:

Jumping from that distance (Top Buckle) and driving your skull into another guy day after day, year after year, I think that'd be your answer right there.

You would usually see him sorta bounce back and sit up holding his head in what seemed extreme pain before he grabbed the guy for a pin, esspecially in the last years before this all happened.

Chairs and Drugs are clearly not going to help in anyway, but I think the above plays a bit of a role in what happened to his noggin. Unfortunatly as I see it, he did it to himself.

I have read on liveaudiowrestling.com that Benoit did not want to give up his flying headbutt even though the WWE had wanted him to stop doing it. Also, he is one of the few people that would not try and protect himself from chair shots to the head(the majority of them, anyhow). He wanted it to look "as real as possible", and that certainly would be a contributing factor to his brain damage.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
They've been churning out cripples and corpes for years and years now all for a buck so why all of a sudden are people trippin'?

Probably due to the fact that he murdered his son and wife, which as far as I know had not happened in the pro-wrestling circles before then. That brought a lot of mainstream media scruteny, and made people realise exactly how many wrestlers have died at a young age.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Probably due to the fact that he murdered his son and wife, which as far as I know had not happened in the pro-wrestling circles before then. That brought a lot of mainstream media scruteny, and made people realise exactly how many wrestlers have died at a young age.

Yeah, that seems to get overlooked, which is too bad because a family lost their daughter and grandkids at his hands.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
When Owen Hart died in the ring from a badly engineered stunt,there wasn't as much of an outcry. Benoit's death also brought much bad publicity to the WWE, regarding all the illegal drugs many wrestlers have to take just to continue working in the industry they love.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Good point. Abuse has been known about in wrestling families though I think. Especially with the introduction of steroids. Something that gets overlooked to some extent is the abuse of alcohol and painkillers, (a dangerous mix) and that effect on families.

Peel the lid off this can of worms a little further, and consider how many athletes of other sports abuse these substances, to the point that it negatively effects their family life.