Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Side note: The Bismark was unsinkable for its time, Its own crew scuttled her once its guns were blown off and its propulsion crippled by a lucky torpedo.

They didn't want the brits refurbishing the boat and turning it against them.

The point is, nothing is "unbeatable" or "unsinkable" irregardless of what the "owner" may think.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
If it comes to a shooting war ...
By Victor N Corpus
The assassin's mace: China's anti-satellite weapons
Glee and ecstasy soon turn to shock as monitor screens suddenly go blank. Then all communication via satellites goes dead. China has drawn its second "trump card" (the assassin's mace) by activating its maneuverable "parasite" micro-satellites that have unknowingly clung to vital (NORAD) radar and communication satellites and have either jammed, blinded or physically destroyed their hosts.

This is complemented by space mines that maneuver near adversary satellites and explode. Secret Chinese and Russian ground-based anti-satellite laser weapons also blind or bring down US and British satellites used for C4ISR (command, control, communication, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance). And to ensure redundancy and make sure that the adversary C4ISR system is completely "blinded" even temporarily, hundreds of select Chinese and Russian information warriors (hackers) specifically trained to attack their adversary's C4ISR systems simultaneously launch their cyber offensive.

For a few precious minutes, the US and UK advancing carrier battle groups are stunned and blinded by the "mace", ie, a defensive weapon used to temporarily blind a stronger opponent. But the word mace has another meaning; one which is deadlier and used in combination with the first.

A mace can be a spiked war club used in olden times to knock out an opponent. Applied in modern times, the spikes of the assassin's mace refer to currently unstoppable supersonic cruise missiles capable of sinking aircraft carriers that are in China's inventory; complemented by equally unstoppable "squall" or SHKVAL rocket torpedoes and regular 65 cm-diameter wake-homing torpedoes, bottom-rising rocket-propelled mines, and "obsolete" warplanes converted into unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAVs) firing anti-ship missiles from standoff positions and finally dive-bombing into the heart of the US and UK aircraft carrier armada.

Maybe they have improved on the MACE and perfected it possibilities. I didn't post the whole article as it is too long but and interesting read. You can read the full article at:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/HD20Ad03.html

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It's the Swedes that hold the reigns of submarine undetectable techonology. They have been conducting excercises on the west coast for nearly two years now with the US Navy so that the US Navy can "learn" how to detect the "undetectable".

Last I heard they managed to do just that, that left the Swedes researching for newer more undetectable technology. Can we know for sure what happened? I think not.

Funny though the article is careful to state "By the time it surfaced the 160ft Song Class diesel-electric attack submarine is understood to have sailed within viable range for launching torpedoes or missiles at the carrier."

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Meanwhile the U.S. is investing billions in the Chinese economy and in return they send poison toys and food to the west.

Who needs weapons?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I have a good friend on that boat, I wonder what his take on it will be once he's back here. I love how the article says something about the Chinese insisting the whole deal was a "coincidence".

Reminds me of the Romulans in Star Trek kinda

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You know what would have been really cool is if the Chinese sub actually hit the Kittyhawk with torpedos killing a whole bunch of Americans. I mean that is what would make this story super! I know this thread is about gloating over America's failures with glee so Canadians can feel more superior. Heck most of CC is about that. But a nice spread of torpedos would really have made this.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When speaking about subs...have the Canadian sailors learned to close the hatches of their subs during rough seas?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What is interesting about this article is that there were no direct quotes from any one of authority.

"One NATO member said"

"Other senior Nato members said..."

Does anyone know the name of the exercise? When did this happen?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
LOL

It happened a year ago! Wow...you guys are quick.

Same time next year fellas? :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So ... if it happened a year ago that means it didn't happen right?

Woof!

Oh it happened I was just laughing at how slow you folks are to the point. It must be getting cold up there.

Another thing after further research it was not during any ASW practice. Even if it was and they were discovered there would not be much we could do about it. We are not at war and there is a thing called freedom of the seas. When I was a Marine onboard a Navy ship the Soviets used to follow us all through the Mediterranean...even during war games. They would be right off our starboard quarter. Soviet Bears would fly over our ships. You can't shoot them down.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The fact and point is that they were NOT discovered untill they sufaced and showed themselves.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The fact and point is that they were NOT discovered untill they sufaced and showed themselves.

The fact is that it is peace time and they were not looking for subs. Anyone who knows anything about a peace time Navy would know that you don't go pinging the oceans when there is no threat. As excited as you all got today over this incident that happened a year ago the Chinese Navy is not a threat.