China sparks aircraft carrier scare .

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
`That has always been true.` Important news is relegated to back pages.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Aircraft carriers are offensive platforms. The range of aircraft today stretches hundreds of miles out to sea from land bases. Aircraft Carriers are power projection ashore. One or two won't make a difference to a major power. I am pretty sure that during the 80's if there was a major war with the Soviets that pretty much all capitol ships would have been sunk including theirs.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Aircraft carriers are airports where you don't have one. China's launching men into space. Oceans are a softer landing. Aircraft carriers are only offensive to they who are easily offended.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Aircraft carriers are airports where you don't have one. China's launching men into space. Oceans are a softer landing. Aircraft carriers are only offensive to they who are easily offended.

Aircraft carriers are airports!

Oceans are a softer landing! In what way are they a softer landing?

Aircraft carriers are a weapon of an offensive nature. Power projection ashore baby...heck we Americans even admit to that. Run a few of those into an area and you have an airbase. About 120 aircraft on a Nimitz Class carrier.

The Chinese would pretty much have to create a whole set of new planes. You cannot just throw a tailhook on the bottom of a plane and make it carrier capable. Gosh the training alone would be astronomical when starting from scratch. But hey...they can do it.

Not bad for a developing country! :lol: (that kills me every time when I think of the Kyoto Agreement. They snookered all the signees of that worthless document.)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Mishaps happen. Landing on any carrier is dangerous.

The Sukhoi Su-35 is sure one hell of an amazing aircraft though!

video

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I really don't see Russia giving military Aid to its chief military rival/opponent.

China and Russia are not friends,

With the exception of the Taiwan issue, China and the USA are borderline allies and are economically intertwined to a degree that (almost) prevents war.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Aircraft carriers are airports!

Aircraft don't operate from mountains and rough seas do they?

Oceans are a softer landing! In what way are they a softer landing?

Note context.... Even the great United States doesn't have a catcher's mitt big enough for an escape pod from the space station in an emergency.

Aircraft carriers are a weapon of an offensive nature.

Offensive only to they who fear bogeymen.

Power projection ashore baby...heck we Americans even admit to that. Run a few of those into an area and you have an airbase. About 120 aircraft on a Nimitz Class carrier.

You Americans are the yardstick you measure it all by.

The Chinese would pretty much have to create a whole set of new planes. You cannot just throw a tailhook on the bottom of a plane and make it carrier capable.

Ever hear of a Phantom?

They certainly use more robust landing gear and are designed for more primitive facilities than your typically American aircraft.

Gosh the training alone would be astronomical when starting from scratch. But hey...they can do it.

I'll bet they're glad to know you approve.

Not bad for a developing country! :lol: (that kills me every time when I think of the Kyoto Agreement. They snookered all the signees of that worthless document.)

Do you see MY name on it? Kyoto is Japanese anyhow.

Haven't you guys figured it out yet? When you look for enemies - you find them.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't see why they shouldn't build them... they're a big country, with big influence, and they will need some methods of quick deployment around their borders.

The fearmongering of them possibly using them as an offense weapon isn't that big of a deal.... they, like everything else, can be destroyed if it comes to that point.

Take the Bismarck as an example.

Added:

And if one or two countries are allowed to run around the globe with multiple aircraft carriers, why shouldn't they? Because we're told their the bad guys? Well there are bad guys in every aspect of our alliances and neighbors who have the same technology and it only takes one decision to turn that technology against anybody they wish, including their allies.

And alliances never last forever..... so big deal for them making carriers.

Aircraft carriers are, by definition, offensive weapons used to express power in waters otherwise out of range of land based aircraft...........the quickest and most efficient way to move "around their borders" is fly from airstrips.

Anybody that takes a close look at the Chinese gov't knows they are the bad guys.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I really don't see Russia giving military Aid to its chief military rival/opponent.

China and Russia are not friends,

Russia and China sign alliance

With the exception of the Taiwan issue, China and the USA are borderline allies and are economically intertwined to a degree that (almost) prevents war.

I agree in that it is extremely unusual for trading partners to war against each other but that still doesn't mean Russia won't help them. They both view the USA as a threat - which any reasonably minded person knows it is.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Who has the largest military on earth?

Well China does... and as you say...they are obviously the bad guys!

List of countries by size of armed forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only in man power not in % of GDP or budget which is what really counts since the industrial revolution.

But yes, I do get your meaning. It is very suspicious. Why do they need so many troops? Are they trying to conquer the world like the USA or just giving there young men something to do? Remember in China soldiers are given land and turned into farmers which could be one reason for the high numbers - need farmers? Increase the military.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Do you see MY name on it? Kyoto is Japanese anyhow.

Haven't you guys figured it out yet? When you look for enemies - you find them.

Well I wish you quoted it all so I could answer it all w/o trying to remember.

So the Chinese will build carriers to retrieve downed spacecraft! LOL. Oooookaaaay. Gee...do you think they can retrieve it with something that will be a little cheaper. How many Russian craft are retrieved from the ocean?

Sure I've heard of the Phantom. Do you think that both planes are identical? The USAF and the USMC/USN Phantoms.

In fact I do approve and let them know that the United States grants them PERMISSION to build an aircraft carrier via EagleSmack.

Your country's name is on it and you were SOOOOO excited about that sham. How you guys following that anyways? Keeping up with your end of the bargain? :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Only in man power not in % of GDP or budget which is what really counts since the industrial revolution.

But yes, I do get your meaning. It is very suspicious. Why do they need so many troops? Are they trying to conquer the world like the USA? Or just giving there young men something to do. Remember in China soldiers are given land and turned into farmers which could be one reason for the high numbers - need farmers? Increase the military.

Yeah, we're trying to conquer the world. :roll:

It's not so suspicious...they have Russia next door...they need a large army. They are not as trusting as Canada and Mexico are trusting of us. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Aircraft carriers are, by definition, offensive weapons used to express power in waters otherwise out of range of land based aircraft...........the quickest and most efficient way to move "around their borders" is fly from airstrips.

Anybody that takes a close look at the Chinese gov't knows they are the bad guys.

Of course they are offensive weapons. They bring airpower across the seas where bases aren't readily available. Japan, USA, and England used them always in defensive operations against foreign lands and enemy ships in an offensive posture.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Yeah, we're trying to conquer the world. :roll:

OK, projecting power and asserting their hegemony. Whatever :roll:

It's not so suspicious...they have Russia next door...they need a large army. They are not as trusting as Canada and Mexico are trusting of us. :lol:

Canada doesn't trust the USA. We just roll over and let the USA butt f**k us anytime they feel horny. That isn't trust. We're a nation of pussies. I have been saying for years that we need nuclear weapons aimed at the USA - then they could take NAFTA and shove it up their own @$$ (ours is getting sore).