China may ban Catholics from 2008 Olympics

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I would think it somewhat violates the tradition and principles of the Olympic games, to bar certain persons from participating due to their political, philosophical or religious affiliations. I would hope that the Communist Party of the People’s Republic of China would reconsider this inherently dangerous and controversial course of action. China has made some good progress in recent decades, and it would be a shame to see it reversed by such a rash decision.

By the way, that's the Communist Party of China (CPC), official name, though informally we often refer to it at the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). But this is the first time I read Communist Party of the People's Republic of China. In fact, they would object to that on the grounds that they identify themselves as the party for all of China, not just the People's Republic. Though I can see how that might rub Canadians and Taiwanese the wrong way. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just that that is the official name.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh, having said everything I've said, I still wouldn't be opposed to a boycott of the Olympics assuming the info original post provided is indeed true. After all, governments are sometimes limited by diplomatic considerations, so a popular boycott allows governments to shrug their shoulders and say ,'hey, we didn't do it'. And so the Chinese govt has no recourse. After all, it cannot force people to attend the Olympics, and it would be laughed away it it should advise other govts to do so. And it knows it. So effectively the govt would be powerless in the face of a popular boycott.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Machjo

You may not be a fan of China, but I love China, despite its many warts.________________________

And as for the great chairman, don't diss him; for all his faults, he's still respected in China, and while he may have made many mistakes, he'd done many great things for China too._________________________

Great posts Machjo.I love this country too.

truthful7

Jul 12, 2007
I am American who started to practice Falun Dafa a year ago. It makes me so sad to read china's ban list. Falun dafa has changed my life so much. I am so much calmer and more peaceful. I never get angry any more and i work harder than i ever did before. It makes me so sad something based on being a more truthful person, caring so much more for others and less for your self and being more truthful is being ripped apart in China. As well as all other religions. China is just calling it self out. Human rights are a huge issue. China is so big that they are not going to do anything to foreigners they don't want people to know the truth. which is why they don't want these groups there, they wouldn't be able to control them. But soon the truth will be known. Good awards good, evil with evil returns. May peace bless us all, even the ones in the Chinese government. After all we are all people of the world. And through the Olympics we all come together. So i hope china changes it's mind and allows all to come. :)

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
Horrible stories about forcing monks to rape nuns in China... I kinda doubt if that kind of things really ever happened. I'm a Chinese and I've been living here since I was born. I've heard of all kinds of horrible things happened in that horrible culture revolution period(which ended 2 years before I was born), but I really haven't heard this one. I don't trust the "P A R T Y", and I don't trust Fa L u n and Dalai Lama either, it's all about scrabbling for the power, and believe me the winner is the lesser of the evils. Although I'm not sure(but are you really sure? like you've seen it with your own eyes), maybe it could've happened, since I didn't really experience those days. There's only one thing that I'm sure: that kind of thing, even if it really happened, it's definitely could not be an "everywhere" thing. I can't say there was no jerk in China during that time, but basically Chinese are relatively conservative about sex, especially 20 years ago. So I believe people destroied temples during the culture revolution time, but the raping doesn't seem so believable.

And remember, those were 30 years ago. So it doesn't mean anything NOW.

Maybe Canada doesn't change much in that past 30 years, so you don't know what 30 years means to China, well you don't know what every 5 years means to China.

30 or 40 years ago, people destroyed the temples, but 25 years ago, my grandma became a buddhist, and now, even Jia ng Z e mi n the prior leader of the "P A R TY" and the country, goes to the Mount Putuo to make wish and thank Budda.(We all know it but you can't read about this on newspaper. Come over to Putuo and ask anybody on the island)

It's funny, how you're thinking about China is exactly like how people in China were thinking about the outside world decades ago. The reason of the both is: believing lies without thinking.

smilingfish

Just a tiny fish
Dec 13, 2006
I am American who started to practice Falun Dafa a year ago. It makes me so sad to read china's ban list. Falun dafa has changed my life so much. I am so much calmer and more peaceful. I never get angry any more and i work harder than i ever did before. It makes me so sad something based on being a more truthful person, caring so much more for others and less for your self and being more truthful is being ripped apart in China. As well as all other religions. China is just calling it self out. Human rights are a huge issue. China is so big that they are not going to do anything to foreigners they don't want people to know the truth. which is why they don't want these groups there, they wouldn't be able to control them. But soon the truth will be known. Good awards good, evil with evil returns. May peace bless us all, even the ones in the Chinese government. After all we are all people of the world. And through the Olympics we all come together. So i hope china changes it's mind and allows all to come. :)
I don't know how they get you into them, but they threatened me by emails and messengers that if I don't believe in that there's gonna be a disaster on me, and I really hate to be threatened. What's the difference between that stuff and "if you don't forward this mail to 7 people you'll have bad luck in 7 days"?

And as far as I know, the go v of China have done too much for foreigners and I know if one day I become a "Canadian" and then come back to China, they'll treat me much better. And also that's why everytime when there's something bad happened in China, we try our best to let foreigners know it and make you guys urge the G o v of China(although this is actually against our old Chinese saying "don't let the others know about the ugly things in your own house"), BECAUSE we all know the G o V care about foreingers way much more than Chinese, and people are using it to solve the problems of human rights.

Anyway, I respect your religion, as long as you don't threaten me to join you.