Child sex abuse is 'woven into British society'

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The home secretary said the public were yet to grasp the full scale of the problem.

Her comments come after a new panel was announced for the parliamentary inquiry into historical child abuse.

Mrs May said the inquiry marked a "new beginning", but warned allegations made so far were only the "tip of the iceberg".

The inquiry was set up in July 2014 to find out whether public bodies had covered up or neglected allegations of abuse, following claims that a paedophile ring had operated in Westminster in the 1980s.

Mrs May said: "We already know the trail will lead into our schools and hospitals, our churches, our youth clubs and many other institutions that should have been places of safety but instead became the setting for the most appalling abuse.

"However, what the country doesn't yet appreciate is the true scale of that abuse."

She added: "During one of my first meetings with survivors, one lady said to me: 'Get this inquiry right and it will be like a stick of Blackpool rock. You will see abuse going through every level of society.'

"I fear she is right. I have said before and I shall say again, that what we have seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg."

more

BBC News - Child sex abuse is 'woven into British society' - Theresa May

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Child abuse is woven into human history.

That's how we roll. Until each man and woman and child is considered equal, and worthy under the law and in practice, it will continue. It was statue quo, but that is changing and we are moving in the right direction.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They have so routinely caned their children in the various British school systems that an inordinate number from that culture crave the experience as a sexual turn-on. There is no predicting where abuse Will lead. It seems though that the abused are far more likely to abuse.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They have so routinely caned their children in the various British school systems that an inordinate number from that culture crave the experience as a sexual turn-on. There is no predicting where abuse Will lead. It seems though that the abused are far more likely to abuse.
true that the abused are more likely to abuse

also true that my generation knew much more corporal punishment than this one and I am Canadian

strapping, smacking heads, chalk whipped off of kid's heads, holding kids off of their feet against walls, screaming into faces, kids tied in seats, were just a few punishments given out in my school let alone what many kids suffered at home

this article merely points out that the British system is dealing with it, we on the other hand have swept it under the rug and gone in completely the opposite direction, it isn't good either

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Do you think it is any different in any other country? I don't think Canada has even begun to look at the skeletons in our closets.

There is an angle not discussed here, that being rights of passage to and of certain societal positions and privilage. That type of normalization of this crime has been practiced in these obscure regions of higher cultureral centers of power. It is a binding of sorts. Your blood mark, pledge to the cabal. It's not a thing that can be addressed form the ground up. Missing children the world over are consumed in acts so evil it hurts the mind to think. Now anyone who says they don't believe in aliens dosn't know what the word means.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm sure Balckhead will be by in the AM to set us straight on his marvelously virtuous upbringing and how his blood line has no alien blood in it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
true that the abused are more likely to abuse

also true that my generation knew much more corporal punishment than this one and I am Canadian

strapping, smacking heads, chalk whipped off of kid's heads, holding kids off of their feet against walls, screaming into faces, kids tied in seats, were just a few punishments given out in my school let alone what many kids suffered at home

this article merely points out that the British system is dealing with it, we on the other hand have swept it under the rug and gone in completely the opposite direction, it isn't good either
I went through school in the 60s and 70s
and my anger issues are

um

well

...you know.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I went through school in the 60s and 70s and my anger issues are

um

well

...you know.
lol...yes...I even managed to get the strap and I was a quiet sensitive kid who wouldn't have hurt anyone or anything...frigging old nun had it in for all of us

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
lol...yes...I even managed to get the strap and I was a quiet sensitive kid who wouldn't have hurt anyone or anything...frigging old nun had it in for all of us
George Carlin did brilliant stand-up based on teaching orders.