Cheers or jeers?? Wills and Kate arrive in Canada

Cheers or jeers for William and Kate's Canadian visit?

• Cheers!

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Jeers!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I honestly don't know how I'll live without them.

What do you expect? Is Prince William famous for any particular merit?

would put money on the "bet" that you would love to have his life, his money, his heretage ......and probably his wife. and would trade places with him in a nano second.

envy is so unbecoming.

Perhaps the folks at Slave Lake will feel an aura of warmth and see a shaft of light!

Maybe THAT is just what they needed to help with their morale. Think about going there to help them out a bit??

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I suppose, given the sentiment, they should go check out holly wood ... I hope Obama's wife is not going to hug Future Queen Catherine and Obama is not going to propose tipping glasses during the British National Anthem ... sheesh ... you'd think the President of the US and his wife have never had to figure it out before.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I suppose, given the sentiment, they should go check out holly wood ... I hope Obama's wife is not going to hug Future Queen Catherine and Obama is not going to propose tipping glasses during the British National Anthem ... sheesh ... you'd think the President of the US and his wife have never had to figure it out before.

LOL........ is IS funny isn't it?? Well , William and Catherine will get a sampling of the "real " thing . (they DO have a shower facility on their plane, don't they?? )

seriously, I think it was nice of them to make the time. Very "diplomatic"....;-)

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
would put money on the "bet" that you would love to have his life, his money, his heretage ......and probably his wife. and would trade places with him in a nano second.

envy is so unbecoming.

I would love to have his life and his money. Easy work, filthy rich and public adoration. Sounds awesome. But I wouldn't be able to do his work. If I was a monarch, I would abdicate immediately. I'm a democrat and a believer in equality, two things that are incompatible with monarchy. I don't want to reign over others. I would not believe that I had that right, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if put in that position.

His wife I wouldn't like to have because I'm not gay. She's very pretty and I bet she's smart and accomplished, but I like guys.

I wouldn't like to have his heritage either. For one because his genetic history contains a lot of inbreeding and the likelihood of serious diseases both manifesting in myself and possibly my children. But more importantly because I like who I am, I have no problem with my heritage, I don't believe that people are better than others because of their heritage and I find it incredibly insulting that you would suggest otherwise.

Of all my arguments against monarchy, nothing could have been more convincing than what you just said. Amazing that it takes a monarchist to best convey what is wrong about monarchy: "I bet you would love to have his heritage".

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I would love to have his life and his money. Easy work, filthy rich and public adoration. Sounds awesome. But I wouldn't be able to do his work. If I was a monarch, I would abdicate immediately. I'm a democrat and a believer in equality, two things that are incompatible with monarchy. I don't want to reign over others. I would not believe that I had that right, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if put in that position.

His wife I wouldn't like to have because I'm not gay. She's very pretty and I bet she's smart and accomplished, but I like guys.

I wouldn't like to have his heritage either. For one because his genetic history contains a lot of inbreeding and the likelihood of serious diseases both manifesting in myself and possibly my children. But more importantly because I like who I am, I have no problem with my heritage, I don't believe that people are better than others because of their heritage and I find it incredibly insulting that you would suggest otherwise.

Of all my arguments against monarchy, nothing could have been more convincing than what you just said. Amazing that it takes a monarchist to best convey what is wrong about monarchy: "I bet you would love to have his heritage".

your comments accepted. Sorry about the gender thing and I stand corrected.

In reality I am not a true monarchist. I have seen how fanatical some can be. If we didn't have it.........I would not miss it. or move somewhere that had it. But since we have it , I accept it as part of the Canadian history / formative years.

Prince William gives final speech in Canada, vows return

Continue reading on Examiner.com Prince William gives final speech in Canada, vows return - National Royal News | Examiner.com Prince William gives final speech in Canada, vows return - National Royal News | Examiner.com

.........with all the horrors and tragedies in the world...... this makes for something fun, and memory making for many people as well as the guests.

Can hardly believe it is almost over. They did good. They did VERY GOOD. Personable, charming, approachable, tactful, graceful, gracious , warm even spontaneous.

In some ways it must have been like a holiday to them A true definition of a "working holiday". And they looked GREAT in Calgary attire.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I would love to have his life and his money. Easy work, filthy rich and public adoration. Sounds awesome.

and with statements like the above, the anti-monarchists show there full and true ignorance.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I would love to have his life and his money.

I would not. Not even for a single second. Why?? What we see is far from what is the reality of that lifestyle. Not for al the money in the world would I choose to live in a fishbowl. Every sneeze recorded. Every gesture and expression evaluated and analysed to the extreme. Shaking hands and making chit chat might be fine for a while....... but that could wear thin . Being on display on an almost constant basis would not even warrant all the new and fancy clothes.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I would not. Not even for a single second. Why?? What we see is far from what is the reality of that lifestyle. Not for al the money in the world would I choose to live in a fishbowl. Every sneeze recorded. Every gesture and expression evaluated and analysed to the extreme. Shaking hands and making chit chat might be fine for a while....... but that could wear thin . Being on display on an almost constant basis would not even warrant all the new and fancy clothes.

What makes you think he's on display on an almost constant basis? How many hours a day do you think Prince William spends "on display"?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
What makes you think he's on display on an almost constant basis? How many hours a day do you think Prince William spends "on display"?

even if he / they were on display for a few moments each week........ that would not be a lifestyle I would want. Having your every public move scrutinized that way is fine for those that like that. or are born into it.

but I have to commend them. They are handling this "new job" very well so far. Plus they seem very grounded.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
even if he / they were on display for a few moments each week........ that would not be a lifestyle I would want. Having your every public move scrutinized that way is fine for those that like that. or are born into it.

but I have to commend them. They are handling this "new job" very well so far. Plus they seem very grounded.

Yeah, what's his face from that movie couldn't handle it. Some people lose it when they have to speak publicly. I don't. I actually enjoy. I wouldn't mind being in the public eye for a few hours a week. I can swear and wear sweats in my palace later.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would love to have his life and his money. Easy work, filthy rich and public adoration.".[/QUOTE]

Easy work????????????? How would you know? Nothing easy about having to be at your best 24/7 and be prepared to handle the whole gamut of situations. You have a little bit to learn about life yet! :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It takes a person of exceptionally low morals, low honesty and low integrity to revel in a social position that, if they did any self-examination, they would know that they never earned and do not deserve.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

i feel the same, especially someone like me, i'm rather an introvert, don't like attention on me, and that
life would have done me in. lol

they did not choose their life, nor did I, a drunk for a dad, and very poor, complete opposite to them, but
I managed to get to adulthood, (thanks to my mom) without too many scars, and turned out
OK, and william has done the same, with all of the hoopla they have to go thru, and on top of that he lost
his mom at a very tender age, which must have broken his heart.

Its too bad many cannot just accept will and kate for who they are, two young normal people trying to get
their life going together, just like all of us, but they have high odds, and just as you say, living in a
fishbowl, so I feel good reaching out to them, accepting them as one of us, because that is who they are,
not the monarchy and parades etc., they just have to endure all of that, and also live their lives as best
as they can.

william is a very intelligent young man, and would make any mother in law proud to have married her daughter.
as I walk around thru my life, I have noticed so many young men, who's mother's in law would cringe when
ever they see them.

lets see william thru those eyes, a well educated, intelligent, hard working, (search and rescue pilot, who
has to be back at work soon) man, who perhaps someday will be king, and he will be a king we can all
remember as a 'real' person, who obviously felt very good mingling with everyone, going to the stampede,
and being accepted by the majority of us.

I haven't the time to wallow in snitty and narrow views of people. If one wants to complain about the
monarchy, so be it, but this is not the time, give these two your time of day, welcome them, they are
not 'the monarchy', they are human, and just like us.

Write letters to government etc., and complain about the monarchy, if you must.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Easy work????????????? How would you know? Nothing easy about having to be at your best 24/7 and be prepared to handle the whole gamut of situations.

Being prepared to handle a whole gamut of situations is part of my job too. I have to be at my best when I'm at work too. Don't you? Prince William does not work 24/7 or anywhere even near that. He is not in public constantly. If he works more than 40 hours a week, then I sympathize with him and perhaps he should unionized and demand better hours. But I seriously doubt it.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Yeah, what's his face from that movie couldn't handle it. Some people lose it when they have to speak publicly. I don't. I actually enjoy. I wouldn't mind being in the public eye for a few hours a week. I can swear and wear sweats in my palace later.

Well, the family one is born into is just plain crap shoot. Ain't life a bitch.??

It takes a person of exceptionally low morals, low honesty and low integrity to revel in a social position that, if they did any self-examination, they would know that they never earned and do not deserve.

ain't life a bitch. Like anyone can CHOOSE with family they are born into.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
i feel the same, especially someone like me, i'm rather an introvert, don't like attention on me, and that
life would have done me in. lol

they did not choose their life, nor did I, a drunk for a dad, and very poor, complete opposite to them, but
I managed to get to adulthood, (thanks to my mom) without too many scars, and turned out
OK, and william has done the same, with all of the hoopla they have to go thru, and on top of that he lost
his mom at a very tender age, which must have broken his heart.

Its too bad many cannot just accept will and kate for who they are, two young normal people trying to get
their life going together, just like all of us, but they have high odds, and just as you say, living in a
fishbowl, so I feel good reaching out to them, accepting them as one of us, because that is who they are,
not the monarchy and parades etc., they just have to endure all of that, and also live their lives as best
as they can.

william is a very intelligent young man, and would make any mother in law proud to have married her daughter.
as I walk around thru my life, I have noticed so many young men, who's mother's in law would cringe when
ever they see them.

lets see william thru those eyes, a well educated, intelligent, hard working, (search and rescue pilot, who
has to be back at work soon) man, who perhaps someday will be king, and he will be a king we can all
remember as a 'real' person, who obviously felt very good mingling with everyone, going to the stampede,
and being accepted by the majority of us.

I haven't the time to wallow in snitty and narrow views of people. If one wants to complain about the
monarchy, so be it, but this is not the time, give these two your time of day, welcome them, they are
not 'the monarchy', they are human, and just like us.

Write letters to government etc., and complain about the monarchy, if you must.

very well said. !!! Cudos.

Suspect that the ones that are against monarchy might have feelings of jealousy as they would kill for what they PERCIEVE is a royal lifestyle

...........OT.........but one might consider keeping an eye of the Monoco "marriage. There is something amiss there . When they have to take away her passport to prevent her from leaving the country and avoiding a marriage she is having doubts about.. red flags ( without the Monoco insignia) are popping up all over.

Diana is another example of how unhappy such a life , marriage can be. Not totally accepted by her mother in law. was but one of the issues she had to deal with.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Diana is another example of how unhappy such a life , marriage can be. Not totally accepted by her mother in law. was but one of the issues she had to deal with.

The others were having all the money one can dream of, dresses worth thousands of dollars, jetsetting all over the world being entertained by billionare playboys.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
There were some honest ones who abdicated.

a) their abdication had NOTHING to do with "honesty". It had to do with choosing a marriage partner that "the firm" did not allow into the family due to rediculous rules and traditions. His wife was totally ostracized by the firm. and died a lonely lady in some hidden care home.

There is a lot we don't know about the "firm".........but they have their own "rules" and are not all tht accepting in general. In fact they are one of the most dysfunctional families on the planet.