CCRF, Sections 29 and 16 to 23, tyranny of the majority?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The one right we need and don't have is the one to NO to increased taxation.

I don't know about that. In cases of national disasters or emergencies, it could cause problems. I could see including the following in the constitution to counteract human nature though:

No government can pass any law that could possibly raise the expenditure to revenue ratio without a two thirds supermajority except when there is no federal debt, the Bank rate is at 0%, and the inflation rate is in a negative figure.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What a waste of time... More bitching that the Seperate School system is funded by - wait for it - the Catholic members of that community.

To further this absurdity, this is a UN based complaint... Those fukkers are as useless as teats on a bull, yet here we are with another waste of bandwidth on this tired old topic
And these self proclaimed centrists always seem to try to push their beliefs on everyone....when in reality if taxpayers didn't want separate schools in Ontario "I don't know about other provinces" the only thing they have to do when they pay their municipal taxes is check the box for Public school supporter...
Don't tell me what to do...........

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just to clarify, funding for all school systems is pooled. When you check off which school board you want to vote in, that is all it covers, not funding.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As for Section 29, the UN High Commission for Human Rights has officially criticized it:

United Nations Human Rights Website - Treaty Bodies Database - Document - Jurisprudence - Canada

The Ontario Greens have also opposed it, among others.

As for the other sections, Scott Reid (Conservative MP) criticizes it in his book 'Lament for a Notion', both on civil libertarian and economic grounds. The Fraser institute has also published a report showing its costs, and Valerie Galley has also criticized it on discriminatory grounds against indigenous peoples:

speakingmytruth.ca/downloads/AHFvol2/22_Galley.pdf

Should I go on?
The UN on Human Rights. Not credible. Not at all.

Membership of the Human Rights Council

Current Membership of the HRC

urrent Membership of the Human Rights Council, 1 January - 31 December 2014

by regional groups
by year

COUNTRY TERM EXPIRES ON

Algeria

Argentina

Austria

Benin

Botswana

Brazil

Burkina Faso

Chile

China

Congo

Costa Rica

Côte d’Ivoire

Cuba

Czech Republic

Estonia

Ethiopia

France

Gabon

Germany

India

Indonesia

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Kuwait

Maldives

Mexico

Montenegro

Morocco

Namibia

Pakistan

Peru

Philippines

Republic of Korea

Romania

Russian Federation

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

South Africa

The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

United States of America

Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

Viet Nam

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Irrelevant. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that laws that favour one particular group violate the human right to equal treatment before the law.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Just to clarify, funding for all school systems is pooled. When you check off which school board you want to vote in, that is all it covers, not funding.
It is still the taxpayers that decide....do you think that if nobody voted for separate school board that they would build them schools......

So suck it up buttercup....you're outvoted ...live with it!!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Irrelevant. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that laws that favour one particular group violate the human right to equal treatment before the law.

Should a Constitution be easily changed?
These rights were guaranteed at the time to protect minorities. Guess we were ahead of the ball.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We must defend entitlements of course.

Should a Constitution be easily changed?
These rights were guaranteed at the time to protect minorities. Guess we were ahead of the ball.

Roman catholics and Protestants are the most dominant religious groups in Canada today.

And the French and the English are likewise the most dominant ethno-linguistic communities.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We must defend entitlements of course.

Roman catholics and Protestants are the most dominant religious groups in Canada today.

And the French and the English are likewise the most dominant ethno-linguistic communities.

The Law.Avoided my question.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
No, a constitution should not be easily changed. That said, what do we do about the Constitution entrenching the tyranny of the majority?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
And these self proclaimed centrists always seem to try to push their beliefs on everyone....when in reality if taxpayers didn't want separate schools in Ontario "I don't know about other provinces" the only thing they have to do when they pay their municipal taxes is check the box for Public school supporter...
Don't tell me what to do...........

Almost makes you wonder if this is more in line with a veiled-bigotry directed at one group conveniently under the guise of UN Human Rights

Funny that you don't see this same argument by the OP's author about French being foisted upon us poor plebes as a UN Human Right's issue while ignoring Spanish, German, Mandarin, Hebrew, etc.. Because it doesn't single out the RCs, there is no problem, but as the poster in question has an inferiority complex relative to Catholicism, he'll take every other opportunity at hand to transform this into a BS human rights issue

Ironically, the proposed solution is to replace the 'tyranny of the majority' with an even less egalitarian tyranny of the minority.

Amazing logic, isn't it?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

actually, in Alberta, the check box is for funding. I am sure it is the same in Ontario.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So Capn Morgan, promoting no reference to any specific religion in the constitution is now bigoted?

As for French, I'm just as opposed to that and I'm a native French speaker. Why should French Canadians have any special rights?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Certain rights are entrenched. Is anyone depriving children of a publicly paid education?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
actually, in Alberta, the check box is for funding. I am sure it is the same in Ontario.

In Ontario it's for voting rights.

Yet even in Alberta, does it apply to Jewish separate schools? What about Muslim and other separate schools?

So even if the situation in Alberta were slightly better that way (and I'm taking your word for it 'cause I have my doubts), it still discriminates in favour of specific religions.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

So Capn Morgan, promoting no reference to any specific religion in the constitution is now bigoted?

But a culture and language is A-OK?

As for French, I'm just as opposed to that and I'm a native French speaker. Why should French Canadians have any special rights?

I don't have any option (see Gerry's post above) regarding French (language).. Where's your moral outrage on this?

Fact is, your have a problem with Catholicism. You have a problem that Canada's Catholics have decided to build and fund an education system that complies with their wishes.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that your position was bigoted

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Yet even in Alberta, does it apply to Jewish separate schools? What about Muslim and other separate schools?

So even if the situation in Alberta were slightly better that way (and I'm taking your word for it 'cause I have my doubts), it still discriminates in favour of specific religions.

Ahhhhh...poor machjo feels so left out. I'm sure it is the same in Ontario. You're just too stupid to know it. When I walk into the polling station, they ask me separate or public for school trustee. I can't vote for both and it has no bearing on what I "checked" on my taxes. The check box on the taxes is for what my taxes are supporting. As has already been pointed out to you, if everyone checked off public, then there would be no money for the Catholic(separate) school system. That, however, is not the way you roll. You would prefer to ram your way down everyone elses throat.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

These rights were guaranteed years ago to protect minorities. Canada was ahead of the curve on rights. Again, is any child deprived of an education.
It is up to the Provinces if they wish to change this. Just like Newfoundland & Labrador did.
A Provincial area of responsibility.