CBC host Evan Solomon took secret cut of art deals

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We do not need to get rid of the CBC. That's ridiculous. I'm not even sure what the big deal is. Evan Solomon is a journalist, not a politician, so what is the big deal if he's making a commission off of brokering an art sale? I suppose if the CBC has a rule in place about using his position as a journalist for outside endeavors, it would be punishable, but I tire of the CBC bashing.
The big deal is that he was using his position as a journalist in CBC to make business contacts to sell his art pieces to.
He can't be interviewing a guest asking him tough questions about his performance and then saying off air, " oh btw, I got an art piece I want you to look at" !!

What part of conflict of interest is it that you don't understand?

Yes CBC should be sold, they can stand on their own just like the other TV broadcasters. It's mostly a central Canada broadcaster, the West gets little value otta CBC. Ontario can purchase it since they get the most benefit from it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Cough cough, not completely true. There is bias, but find me a news org that isn't these days.

I hear ya.

Still, he gave Elizabeth May a thorough grilling, much to the chagrin of the viewership.

You don't get that as much with private institutions that are more susceptible to pandering for hits.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The big deal is that he was using his position as a journalist in CBC to make business contacts to sell his art pieces to.
He can't be interviewing a guest asking him tough questions about his performance and then saying off air, " oh btw, I got an art piece I want you to look at" !!

What part of conflict of interest is it that you don't understand?

Yes CBC should be sold, they can stand on their own just like the other TV broadcasters. It's mostly a central Canada broadcaster, the West gets little value otta CBC. Ontario can purchase it since they get the most benefit from it.
they all do that....it's a different world that they operate in

business is business because money is green...it's a neutral colour, it has no loyalty politically or otherwise

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We do not need to get rid of the CBC. That's ridiculous. I'm not even sure what the big deal is. Evan Solomon is a journalist, not a politician, so what is the big deal if he's making a commission off of brokering an art sale? I suppose if the CBC has a rule in place about using his position as a journalist for outside endeavors, it would be punishable, but I tire of the CBC bashing.

Well, RCS; he didn't disclose his brokering. Not really honest, but what the hell.
Good move by CBC to axe him.

Woop, sorry, he did disclose. No more hard questions from him before Harpo tries to flummox the proles
again.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, RCS; he didn't disclose his brokering. Not really honest, but what the hell.
Good move by CBC to axe him.

Woop, sorry, he did disclose. No more hard questions from him before Harpo tries to flummox the proles
again.

He did disclose he had an outside business. He failed to disclose to buyer that he was getting a cut and it sounds like he used his connections at CBC to make the meetings happen. Conflict of interest and against CBC code of conduct which is why he was terminated.

I find it funny how the libtards are now trying to make this about Stephan Harper. If Stephan Harper wanted to make the CBC a more friendly place for him, he would have fired a lot more people.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh, I never cared for him anyway. Though really I dont see what he did as a very big deal.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So the CBC fired Evan Solomon for some vaguely inappropriate side job he had. Sounds to me like this just shows that the CBC has incredible journalistic integrity. They fired a guy over something like this? That's a pretty tight ship they run.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The senate and the cbc are different creatures Solomon may have done nothing wrong
but the damage is done
You call conflict of interest as nothing wrong???

Then you must think payola is just fine as well eh!!

Get a education on ethics dude!!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I hear ya.

Still, he gave Elizabeth May a thorough grilling, much to the chagrin of the viewership.

You don't get that as much with private institutions that are more susceptible to pandering for hits.
Well of course he did Elizabeth May is a fringe green rep. not a liberal .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So the CBC fired Evan Solomon for some vaguely inappropriate side job he had. Sounds to me like this just shows that the CBC has incredible journalistic integrity. They fired a guy over something like this? That's a pretty tight ship they run.

On The Rebel they hand out promotions for this kind of thing.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
A journalist is held to a higher standard and even more so when they are employed by the taxpayer.

Evan is a very huge disappointment!! Too bad there is no jail time associated with this for if any jounalist was worthy of jail time, it would Evan.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, if you don't fix the cracks pretty soon you have a bloody chasm! :)

A journalist is held to a higher standard and even more so when they are employed by the taxpayer.

Evan is a very huge disappointment!! Too bad there is no jail time associated with this for if any jounalist was worthy of jail time, it would Evan.

I'm not sure if it's prudent to kill a fly with a $million sledge hammer.

Meh, I never cared for him anyway. Though really I dont see what he did as a very big deal.

Yeah, I didn't find his personality particularly endearing, but I suppose his "dog with a bone" perseverance has its place!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
He always struck me as someone who got his job because of who he is not because of any skill.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There are good journalists in every news organization. He has been one of many. Violating the CBC's code of conduct doesn't discount the knowledge and skill he has demonstrated over the years.

Unfortunately the primary measure of skill, in the eyes of some, is based on the narrow view of who writes their paycheques.