CBC demands more money

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's definitely money better spent than anything given to Harper and his collection of coksuckers who call themselves MPs. They make Mulroney's gang look ethical. I wonder how anyone with a functioning brain can support that collection of excrement eating Cons.

And who is there out there to replace them?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
CBC has the best Canadian identity programming now the private broadcasters offer made in Canada shows but they hardly identify Canada just another American town or a generic program that does not identify any country it is set in so it is easier to sell to the international market.

Canadian identity.. lol please define Canadian Identity.. just look south of the border to see Canada's identity.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I was hoping it would be e-mails and voice mail from elected persons in Canada, part of a program to show the masses that investigations bring good results and we are getting our monies worth from those same people. What else could it be for??

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure there's some nugget of truth that the source is hiding. The Sun has it in for CBC because they want more advertising.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
OTTAWA - CBC wants more money from Canadians to pay for local services but isn't willing to say exactly what that money will buy.

Last week CBC appeared before the CRTC, Canada's broadcast regulator, arguing in favour of keeping a pool of money called the Local Programming Improvement Fund available to television station owners. The fund was set up a few years ago to offset the loss in ad revenue caused by the worldwide economic collapse in 2008.

Facing hard times, broadcasters turned to their MPs and pushed for a new source of money, which led to the creation of the fund. CBC's slice of the pie, paid for by a levy on Canadian cable and satellite companies, is $40 million.

But while the state broadcaster says it needs more money from hard working Canadians to keep local operations going, it is also working hard to keep details of local operations secret.

A request for details on the cost of their new studios in Hamilton, Ont., including the acquisition, renovation and furnishing of a decrepit old building in the city's downtown core, was granted -- with plenty of information removed.

CBC cited security concerns, competitive issues and privacy in refusing to release what they are spending taxpayers money on.

more nonsense

CBC demands more money while refusing to release key information | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

As a state broadcaster, it's not supposed to be competitive, but merely efficient. Competition is for the private sector, is it not?

Also, considering that there are plenty of other English and French language programming options available, at least its English and French language services are essentially redundant.

I'm not against the concept of a state broadcaster per se, but only in the absence of a private sector alternative.

CBC has the best Canadian programming that identifies the Canadian culture

I'll be honest here. Though I rarely watch TV, when I do it usually is the CBC.

That being said, I also recognize that my preference and yours for the CBC are purely subjective, and the government should not be in the business of choosing winners and losers based on its subjective whims.

Yes, the CBC is a quality programmer, and that's why I think it would survive without government funding. And if it didn't, it's not the only broadcaster around anyway.

There can be a very legitimate argument for funding for boradcasting in Canada's indigenous languages in the absence of alternatives, but certainly not English and French language programming.

Money spent on C.B.C. is a lot more worthwhile than what goes into the troughs in Ottawa. If they shortened each trough by 1' there would be lots of money for C.B.C. and 300 fat cats would be a lot healthier! :lol:

I say cut the CBC and the troughs!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yep. They just mad because they don't want to (don't think they should have to) adapt to a reduced budget like what happens in the real world.

What a sad tragedy. :lol:

Fuk 'em.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you identify as a torontoian perhaps. Certainly not the culture of real Canadians.
They need the money for executive bonus's and lavish parties for the faithful. AKA those that can't find a real job.

I'm not a Torontonian and I don't even like the city per se, yet I still do enjoy the CBC on the very rare occasions when I watch TV.

Then again, the fact that I watch so little TV is probably the reason I'd like to cut CBC funding. Broadcast funding is for couch potatoes. Radio broadcast could be worthwhile but only in the absence of a private sector alternative in the language in question.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As a state broadcaster, it's not supposed to be competitive, but merely efficient. Competition is for the private sector, is it not?
Also, considering that there are plenty of other English and French language programming options available, at least its English and French language services are essentially redundant.

I'm not against the concept of a state broadcaster per se, but only in the absence of a private sector alternative.

And the private sector will never be the alternative

As a state broadcaster, it's not supposed to be competitive, but merely efficient

The Conservative governments have made it competitive it was efficient before.

If you look at cable tv they have to have a cable channel to provide local community programming and some of the shows are good.

One can say that CBC is Canada's community programming and if the government closes it our Canadian identity would be left for the Americans to decide and that would be a shame

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, the CBC is a quality programmer, and that's why I think it would survive without government funding. And if it didn't, it's not the only broadcaster around anyway.

There can be a very legitimate argument for funding for boradcasting in Canada's indigenous languages in the absence of alternatives, but certainly not English and French language programming.

I say cut the CBC and the troughs!

I'm not sure how without advertising! :smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This is really rich when you think about it. The private broadcasters, turned to their MP
and asked for money from, from, from the CBC. Yes, the CBC which is funded by of all
things the public which means they are looking to public funding for private broadcasting.
The problem isn't that they should not get assistance from government in some manner,
the problem I have is that the past behaviour of private broadcasting industry should not
be rewarded.
Over the years private broadcasters did what ever they pleased the public be damned.
They took the money and used employees, well lets say not the best, and the owners
had their little piece of turf. Then came the world of computers and satellites and networks.
Now these arrogant prince's of the airwaves are learning the hard way you can't have what
you want all the time. CBC on the other hand had their silly little rules that prevent some
very good people from getting on the air with the public broadcaster. They had their own
arrogant behaviour and it demonstrated itself on the airwaves.
I know a little of which I speak having been a broadcaster for decades. Oh I am not complaining
I am just putting things into perspective. Government should not be giving public broadcast
funding to private broadcasters. Private industry needs to produce good programing and
make radio fun again, and television more balanced and interesting that will enhance the
industry.
And no right now they should not be handing out money to the CBC either they all have to live
within their means

Agreed for the most part.

CBC has the best Canadian identity programming now the private broadcasters offer made in Canada shows but they hardly identify Canada just another American town or a generic program that does not identify any country it is set in so it is easier to sell to the international market.

Global network did have a show set in Canada about the Canadian Coast Guard called The Guard.

Because of Conservative governments past and present cut backs CBC had to bring in more foreign programming and show more commercials.

Canada is starting to define itself on the world stage and the world wants to know more of the Canadian identity experience and most of the private broadcasters are pushing American values and only the CBC is working on more Canadian value shows.

Pure jibberish. Values are individual, not national.

And the private sector will never be the alternative

The Conservative governments have made it competitive it was efficient before.

If you look at cable tv they have to have a cable channel to provide local community programming and some of the shows are good.

One can say that CBC is Canada's community programming and if the government closes it our Canadian identity would be left for the Americans to decide and that would be a shame

Canadian identity is not defined by what's on TV. It has to do with how we live our lives.

I'm not sure how without advertising! :smile:

Then let them advertise.

Again, the only public funding for broadcasting should be where there is no private sector alternative, and that essentially limits itself to the local indigenous languages for the most part.

I guess we have to define identity and values.

I respect people, animals, and the environment and I live my life accordingly. To me that's identity and values; not what emanates from a square box. To suggest culture, values and identity comes from a square box in an insult to those of us who watch little to no TV.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Of all the stupid shyte thae government,any government,but especially harpers ,wastes money on,I think the CBC is the least wastefull.Fat boy has had a hard on for the CBC forever,and now that he has his majority{of less than 40%}he can hack away at it.He's like a kid with flys,can't just kill it,has to prolong the pain,pull the wings off first.
Meby some of you goomers should listen to CBC ,you might just learn something,but then that would be against the great leaders wishes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Then let them advertise.

Again, the only public funding for broadcasting should be where there is no private sector alternative, and that essentially limits itself to the local indigenous languages for the most part.

I guess we have to define identity and values.

I respect people, animals, and the environment and I live my life accordingly. To me that's identity and values; not what emanates from a square box. To suggest culture, values and identity comes from a square box in an insult to those of us who watch little to no TV.

How much does C.B.C. cost us on an annual per capita basis? $50? I'd gladly pay it to not have to endure 30% of air time going to advertising.
I think you have half the picture as far as identity and values are concerned. But don't we need a medium to communicate and to learn about our culture?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How much does C.B.C. cost us on an annual per capita basis? $50? I'd gladly pay it to not have to endure 30% of air time going to advertising.
I think you have half the picture as far as identity and values are concerned. But don't we need a medium to communicate and to learn about our culture?

Perhaps. But I remember a case years ago when a person was telling me how we need stricter Canadian content laws. I turned around and asker her how much US content she watched and she admitted it was quite a bit. As it turned out, I watched less US content than she did and advised if she switched to Canadian programming there'd be more Canadian content. The reason for so little Canadian content is because people like her watched too much US programming. Switch to Canadian TV and we won't need content laws. She embarrassingly agreed.

Of all the stupid shyte thae government,any government,but especially harpers ,wastes money on,I think the CBC is the least wastefull.Fat boy has had a hard on for the CBC forever,and now that he has his majority{of less than 40%}he can hack away at it.He's like a kid with flys,can't just kill it,has to prolong the pain,pull the wings off first.
Meby some of you goomers should listen to CBC ,you might just learn something,but then that would be against the great leaders wishes.

I actually read alot. I don't need the boob tube to learn.

But yes, I agree CBC spending is the least of my concenrs with the way harper is going. But if your only defense for the CBC is that the rest is worse, it's a pretty flimsy defense.

If you want less advertizing, another option would be some kind of Pay-per-view version of the CBC commersial free.

I don't watch much TV, so why should I subsidize other peoples' TV habits?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
CBC TV shows the reflection of Canadian identity on most of their programming and in turn it strengthens Canadian indentity.

I've lived in various parts of Canada, and have met and made friends from all walks of life. Get off the couch and make some friends. Our identity is refelcted in our daily lives, not in front of the boob tube.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've lived in various parts of Canada, and have met and made friends from all walks of life. Get off the couch and make some friends. Our identity is refelcted in our daily lives, not in front of the boob tube.

T.V. is only one medium, radio is a more important one in my view. With radio you can do "multi tasking" with T.V. it's pretty tough!

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I think the CBC has a place. While living in the North it was the only game in town, and at least had some descent programming. I enjoyed Graham Kerr, Wok with Yan, The Fifth Estate, Front Page Challenge and so on. The prime time linup even had some good classic movies and the occasional miniseries they conned from the BBC. I liked Knowlton Nash, Barbara Frum could be a bit grating. But I got really pi$$ed when they replaced the Muppet Show with Fraggle Rock, which was also part of the early prime time, (between 7:00 and 8:00) programming.