Catholic vs. Public Schools in Ontario

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006
I have a few questions regarding the Catholic system here in ON. At present my daughter is homeschooled but would like to go to school next year for Grade 8 (she wants a grad ceremony). As we are Protestant, we tried this year to put her in the Public system but the school in our little town was absolutely HORRID! We ended up pulling her out 2 1/2 months in. My questions are:
  1. How are my property taxes affected? (our son is still in the Public system)
  2. What are the major differences between Catholic and Public curriculum?
  3. Is religion a major factor in the curriculum and what is the focus?
  4. Are Catholic schools stricter than Public and how is discipline meted?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. :smile:

daddyholland

Apr 19, 2007
Wow, I think i need glasses.....as far as schools go, I would say Public. If you want her to get a better feel for the real world that is.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

You will have to shift you tax status to support the Separate School System. I really do not know how it works if kids are in BOTH systems. Call your local city hall, they'd know.

Basically, nothing, except for when it is something that conflicts with the faith. Math is still math, etc.etc.However, I have found there is a great deal more work in each grade and Catholic students tend to be much more advanced as compared to Public School kids.

Oh yes, of course. It is required. Its focus, in grade school, is to teach the faith and prepare children for the various sacraments(First Communion, Reconciliation, and confirmation) Note, it IS required in grade school that the child be both baptised and Roman Catholic. If not RC, one of the parents MUST be and the baptism certificate must be approved by the Board(They take, for example, Orthodox and Anglican baptism as valid, few others)

Depends on the school, but in general Catholic schools are much stricter than public schools. Also, the quality of education is superior, in my opinion.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I disagree..and I am not Catholic....

I believe there is no effect on property taxes..didn't harris take that off the property tax base?
I my area the Catholic high schools are 3 to 4 times better grade point averages to the public. as well I have the choice of 2 catholic high schools within a raduis compared to only one public school 35km away(I live rurally) Yes there is still theology, but if you have a problem with that you shouldn't go..Do remember this is a faith based education. That is usually why the system works better, there is purpose.

As far as entering in Catholic system I think (as we talk about high school) that they will take you providing you are not "bumping" a catholic kid from going.

I need to look into all this myself as my kids are looking at High school within a few years..

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I disagree..and I am not Catholic....

I believe there is no effect on property taxes..didn't harris take that off the property tax base?
I my area the Catholic high schools are 3 to 4 times better grade point averages to the public. as well I have the choice of 2 catholic high schools within a raduis compared to only one public school 35km away(I live rurally) Yes there is still theology, but if you have a problem with that you shouldn't go..Do remember this is a faith based education. That is usually why the system works better, there is purpose.

As far as entering in Catholic system I think (as we talk about high school) that they will take you providing you are not "bumping" a catholic kid from going.

I need to look into all this myself as my kids are looking at High school within a few years..

High school you are correct, in grade school you have to be RC, or have an
RC parent and a baptism certificate. And no, taxes are still separated betwen public and separate.

daddyholland

Apr 19, 2007
Basically, nothing, except for when it is something that conflicts with the faith. Math is still math, etc.etc.However, I have found there is a great deal more work in each grade and Catholic students tend to be much more advanced as compared to Public School kids.
I went to public school and was pretty advance but maybe I was just one of those well to do!;-) Maybe the majority of Catholic kids had a slight edge when I was growing up but I found thier lives were more sheltered and now days it does'nt matter....I look across the street and shake my head, "those Catholic kids are no better!"

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I went to public school and was pretty advance but maybe I was just one of those well to do!;-) Maybe the majority of Catholic kids had a slight edge when I was growing up but I found thier lives were more sheltered and now days it does'nt matter....I look across the street and shake my head, "those Catholic kids are no better!"

It's not a question of "better" as much as the overall impact of the system on the kids. Their grade point averages tend to be higher as well.

And next time you look across the street at the Catholic school, remember your neighbours youngest daughter goes to it:)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If one has the time, one can home school kids and turn out a better educated child than the public schools. Also, the same could be said for private schools if one has the money. I'm a bit stingy at times, so it'd be the home-ed thing were my kids going through the education bit right ow. :)

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006
"High school you are correct, in grade school you have to be RC, or have an
RC parent and a baptism certificate. And no, taxes are still separated betwen public and separate."

Here in town the Pentecostal Minister and his wife send their kids to the Catholic school and I'm pretty sure that they are not RC. As for taxes, I do know some people in town (pop. of only 1200 or so) send their kids in grade school to public and for high school Catholic due to the fact that the high school is reputed to be pretty bad (it takes all the kids from 3 dif towns).

As for religion, I know this is a major part of the curriculum. My question is, what do they focus on? We are Non-denominational Christian (mind you I was brought up Baptist) so I am not familiar with RC except for the stereotypes - saints, pope, mother mary, purgatory etc. which I don't believe in. How much emphasis is there on these subjects?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How are my property taxes affected? (our son is still in the Public system)
  1. What are the major differences between Catholic and Public curriculum?
  2. Is religion a major factor in the curriculum and what is the focus?
  3. Are Catholic schools stricter than Public and how is discipline meted?

I attended a Catholic school for my grade 12 year, after attending public, and I feel I can tell you a few things. The tax issue is simply a matter of specifying where you want your school segment to go. No change, other than the box you check on the tax form.

your question 1. The only differences I found in curriculum was that I needed to attend a dedicated religion class as well as the typical classes. The typical provincial curriculum was taught, but was exceeded in the Catholic school I attended, with Catholic students, especially those in French immersion, being leaps and bounds ahead of the base curriculum.

question 2. religion wasn't a major factor in the actual curriculum. The environment, yes. But, the provincial curriculum was taught, complete with evolutionary theory. The curriculum did require a dedicated religion class, and for the most part, the issue of how religion pertained to our curriculum was applied in this class, not the others.

question 3. the discipline at Catholic school was handed out in exactly the same way as public. But the expectations of behavior, with a strong stress on personal respect, and respect of others, was leaps and bounds ahead of any school I'd ever been in.

my strongest impression of Catholic school was that only families who were intent on being involved in their childrens' education, or children who were intent on learning, made it in the Catholic system. If you weren't willing to address a behavioral problem your kid was having, or were unwilling to help them meet their academic challenges (not that everyone had to be brilliant or anything), chances were good you would find yourself in the public system. The atmosphere of Catholic school was one which more closely mirrored a college or university... with very driven, engaged students.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
"

As for religion, I know this is a major part of the curriculum. My question is, what do they focus on? We are Non-denominational Christian (mind you I was brought up Baptist) so I am not familiar with RC except for the stereotypes - saints, pope, mother mary, purgatory etc. which I don't believe in. How much emphasis is there on these subjects?

Well frankly, all of the above and more. The fact is, Catholic theology is obviously the core of the religious instruction. your children will be expected to attend Mass and participate. They will be expected to make their First Communion and following Sacraments. This is not optional in either the Grade or high schools, but more so in the grade schools.

Your minister friend must have been born RC, and the children have to be baptised for grade school, no option on that.

What grades are we talking about anyway? That'll make it easier to focus on providing you answers.

Let me say this though, if you already have serious issues with Catholicism, sending your kids to a Catholic school will not be right for you. Frankly, the school will not accomodate itself to a non-Catholic perspective. It will be expected that you, or your child more specifically, adhere to the Catholic point of view.(obviously)

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006
I am talking about Grade 8 and High School. My issue with Catholicism is that I don't believe that the Pope is the only intermediary to God. As a Baptist (if we have to put a name on my faith) I believe that God may be approached by man himself. I also don't believe that we should worship the saints or Mary. As for purgatory, I don't believe that one can be prayed into heaven. Upon death you are either with the Lord, or you aren't. As I said earlier, my understanding of these may be wrong as they are the stereotypical thinkings. Please correct me if my theology is wrong on these points as I would like to be correct in my thinking. Coming from an Irish/Scotch background, you can imagine what I was told about 'Catholics'.

P.S. They teach evolution?!?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I am talking about Grade 8 and High School. My issue with Catholicism is that I don't believe that the Pope is the only intermediary to God. As a Baptist (if we have to put a name on my faith) I believe that God may be approached by man himself. I also don't believe that we should worship the saints or Mary. As for purgatory, I don't believe that one can be prayed into heaven. Upon death you are either with the Lord, or you aren't. As I said earlier, my understanding of these may be wrong as they are the stereotypical thinkings. Please correct me if my theology is wrong on these points as I would like to be correct in my thinking. Coming from an Irish/Scotch background, you can imagine what I was told about 'Catholics'.

P.S. They teach evolution?!?

With respect, I don't think the Catholic system would be a good "fit" for you. Already you are having issues with the faith. the point is, with the way you feel, you will not be comfortable with your kids being taught in a Catholic school. And if you do send your kids to a Catholic School, in grade eight you will need a baptism certificate. No exception. And the school will not, I assure you, tolerate disagreements with the Catholic faith.Face it, they don't have to--it's the CATHOLIC school system, so if you go ahead and send your kids to it, be advised that the religious education will be ROMAN CATHOLIC. period.

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006
P.S. Please use larger fonts, some of us old people have a very difficult time reading your posts due to the small size of your fonts.

Sorry. :oops: The font looks bigger on my screen. Is this ok or do I need to go up more?

kashmyre

Jun 10, 2006

I fixed the others as well.

Also, if you (Sanctus) could please answer my questions as to whether or not my thinking on Catholicism is correct? The main issue for me is that they believe in the death and resurrection of Christ, only Christ can forgive sin, and the Trinity. And pardon my ignorance, what sacraments are required? I want to be fully knowledgeable in this decision as it not only affects my kids' future, but my family as well.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I fixed the others as well.

Also, if you (Sanctus) could please answer my questions as to whether or not my thinking on Catholicism is correct? The main issue for me is that they believe in the death and resurrection of Christ, only Christ can forgive sin, and the Trinity. And pardon my ignorance, what sacraments are required? I want to be fully knowledgeable in this decision as it not only affects my kids' future, but my family as well.

I am Catholic, so I am afraid what you think and what I think will differ. I believe in the Church and all it teaches.

Those you mentioned above are of course also taught in the Church, with some modifications.

It would take every forum on this site to educate you on Catholicism!

I am going to post an explanation of the sacraments in a separate thread, ok?

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
I have a few questions regarding the Catholic system here in ON. At present my daughter is homeschooled but would like to go to school next year for Grade 8 (she wants a grad ceremony). As we are Protestant, we tried this year to put her in the Public system but the school in our little town was absolutely HORRID! We ended up pulling her out 2 1/2 months in. My questions are:

I met a woman a few months ago who was saying that she was taking her child out of the Catholic school system. She was very frustrated at the fact that she spent most of her time doing homework with her child. She said that the school concentrated too much on religion and not enough on teaching the classes.

I know absolutely NOTHING about the Catholic school system...I'm a public school kid...which I thought was great! But that's the only thing I've heard about the Catholic system.
Good Luck kashmyre!