Carbon Capture - Your thoughts?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Carbon Capture - Your thoughts?

SaskPower to roll out world’s first carbon capture-embedded power plant | Financial Post
Carbon capture storage may be unproven and expensive, but the technology appears set for its global premiere when SaskPower unveils the world’s first power plant-CCS installation at Estevan, Sask. within the next few months.

The $1.35-billion Boundary Dam Carbon Capture Project, backed by $240-million of federal funding, will see a rebuilt coal-fired plant at Boundary Dam Unit 3 embedded with a unit that sequesters carbon dioxide emissions that can either be stored in a deep well or sold.

“The capture facility is completed and it’s ready to go,” Robert Watson, president and chief executive officer of Crown-incorporated SaskPower told the Financial Post during a visit to Toronto.

This is new ground not just for SaskPower but also the wider global power industry with CCS seen as a promising way to cut CO2 emissions. Companies from across the world will be tuning in to see whether SaskPower’s gamble will pay off where others have failed.

Saskatchewan will also be the first province hit by new federal regulations that state that all coal-burning power plants over 50 years old must either be shut down or converted to emit 420 tonnes or less CO2 per gigwatt hour by July 2015. The company’s Boundary Dam 2 would have fallen foul of the law, but the company intends to close it. Eight more Canadian plants will be affected by the rule by 2019 and another 16 by 2029, data from the Pembina Institute shows.

Boundary Dam Unit 3 currently emits 1,100 tonnes of CO2 per gigawatt-hour, but after a carbon capture upgrade, the plant’s environmental footprint will fall to 140-150 tonnes.

SaskPower will sell one million tonne of CO2 a year to Cenovus Inc. under an initial 10-year agreement at an undisclosed price. The Calgary-based oil sands producer will ship the liquid CO2 via a pipeline to a CCS facility in nearby Weyburn where it will be used to pump oil out of mature wells.

SaskPower has a few advantages as the Boundary Dam project sits on a coal mine with a 300-year-reserve, but it may also be sitting on a technological goldmine. The company owns the design and construction of the CCS project that can be franchised to companies across the world.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Obama was right when he said that it was pointless to practice carbon capture when big countries are not doing the same like Russia, China and India

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Interesting. Keep us updated. Finding a profit motive to cut pollution always works better than a big stick AKA taxes.

If they can use it for older oil fields coul it not be used for fracking or older NG deposits?
I know SFA about this, but here is a table listing the gases.
Gases - Densities

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If they can use it for older oil fields coul it not be used for fracking or older NG deposits?
I know SFA about this, but here is a table listing the gases.
Gases - Densities

About the total of my knowledge too. But I am convinced that the profit motive will lead to innovation much faster and better than government wielding a big stick. I would like to know why the carbon captured in refining oil can not be used in steel production. Or maybe they will come up with a way of using it for heat.

Obama was right when he said that it was pointless to practice carbon capture when big countries are not doing the same like Russia, China and India

Obama was wrong. Getting a leg up on the technology will keep us at the front. Eventually we will find a way to reuse the carbon and make money off it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Right on. It only costs the people of SK 6 cent a KWh. Cheap like borscht and comes in handy for more oil extraction in the Midale play.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Right on. It only costs the people of SK 6 cent a KWh. Cheap like borscht and comes in handy for more oil extraction in the Midale play.

From what little I know I understand that many fields are deemed not cost efficient after a certain amount is pumped out, and the percentages left in the ground can run as high as 1/2 to 2/3rds of that particular field.
Any info on that?