Can't we all just get along?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You really are an idiot. You actually believe that? Are you really that naive? I suppose you also believe that there are no arranged marriages in Canada either. :roll:

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. With most things, "where there's a will there's a way".

(There's times when I get a little tired of seeing the same 300 guys kicking the same dog)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's not naive at all.

I have many friends who choose to wear it or not depending on the situation.

What?

You think that these people can't exist?

This kind of ignorance is what's dismantling social conservatives and they are doing it to themselves.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's not naive at all.

I have many friends who choose to wear it or not depending on the situation.

What?

You think that these people can't exist?

This kind of ignorance is what's dismantling social conservatives and they are doing it to themselves.

Didn't say they couldn't. Your statement implied that in Canada, any Muslim woman can do anything she wants.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No it was simply a response to yours which implied there would not exist any that can.

At the end of the day, the beauty of this country is that people redefine their own culture all the time.

By putting them in a box, we only reinforce that oppression.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Didn't say they couldn't. Your statement implied that in Canada, any Muslim woman can do anything she wants.
Legally speaking she can. She could be in a relationship with a domineering man but Islam hasn't cornered the market in that respect

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The government of Canada gave the mandate to the residential Schools. The government made the decision for assimilation. You want to point fingers, then make sure you point at all the parties and in all the right directions. If that's too much work for you, then don't point fingers period.
The elected representatives were responsible for the residential schools along with the hierarchy of the catholic church. The citizens themselves really had nothing to do with it. Most didn't have a clue it was happening. Let the ones actually responsible for the fiasco personally be held responsible.

and yes, I can see you are upset with the amount of assets the Catholic Church has. Considering that you admit that you are not Catholic, all I can take from the mention of money is that you are jealous, for some unknown reason, of the money the Church has since it does not effect you in the least.
If they want to have that much dough and not use it all to help the underpriviledged and starving in the "christian' way that's their business. Just points out the hypocrisy of the HRCC. They are really no different than any televangelist. I just want them to pay taxes on the money they do not use for charitable programs.

So, if you own a business then you lose the right to express your personal beliefs and you lose the right to refuse service. Interesting. Are there any other groups of people that you would like to see rights taken away from?
As long as you do not discriminate based upon race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc you can do as you please with your business. The right to refuse service does not exempt you from discrimination.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No it was simply a response to yours which implied there would not exist any that can.

At the end of the day, the beauty of this country is that people redefine their own culture all the time.

By putting them in a box, we only reinforce that oppression.

Nope, didn't imply that at all. The fact is, a Nun can leave her vocation at any time. A muslim woman, not necessarily. Therefore, comparing the 2 as if they were the same, is the epitome of stupidity.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Nope, didn't imply that at all. The fact is, a Nun can leave her vocation at any time. A muslim woman, not necessarily. Therefore, comparing the 2 as if they were the same, is the epitome of stupidity.
Muslim women can leave their vocation at any time. All Canadians can

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

They can both do it.