Canadians would vote for Muslim or Aethiest instead of Evang

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re: Canadians would vote for Muslim or Aethiest instead of E

Jersay

I have no objection to outer garments chosen by those of devout practice.

It is their family law which I object to. Divorce Sha'ria style does not appeal to me - or I would imagine - many western people.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: Canadians would vote for Muslim or Aethiest instead of E

This is not about Cabinet though this is either PM or I guess President. Which I find surprising because I read a report where majority people in America looked lowly on Islamic followers.

Oh just about Sharia law, in Ontario's case.

Many consider the punishments perscribed by Sharia as being barbaric and cruel; Islamic scholars argue that, if implemented properly, the punishments serve as a deterrent to crime. In international media, practices by countries applying Islamic law have fallen under considerable criticism at times. This is particularly the case when the sentence carried out is seen to greatly tilt away from established standards of international human rights. This is true for the application of the death penalty for the crime of adultery, and other such punishments such as amputations for the crime of theft and flogging for fornication or public intoxication. [5]

An unusual secular-state example was the proposal for a Sharia arbitration court to be established in Ontario, Canada. That province's 1991 arbitration court law allows disputes to be settled in alternative courts to avoid congestion and delay in the court system. The court would handle disputes between Muslim complainants. Critics claimed that misogyny which they held to be inherent in Sharia might influence the Canadian justice system, but proponents argued that those who do not wish to go by the court's rulings are not forced to attend it. Moreover, these sharia courts in Canada are only orthodox in a limited way as they respect the priority of Canadian civil law. Anybody not satisfied with a ruling from the sharia court can appeal to a civil court. As such, this sharia court would be only a very pale version of Sharia.

On September 11, 2005, Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty stated in a telephone interview that religious arbitration would no longer be allowed. However, the proposed changes to the Ontario Arbitration Act[6] do not specifically mention religious arbitration, but reduce the power of private arbitration in the area of family law, and introduce other changes. Specifically, under the proposed changes family arbitrators will be regulated, participants in family law arbitration cases will not be able to give up their right to appeal an arbitrator's decision to a court, and a pre-nuptial agreement to resolve family law matters, should they arise, through an arbitrator rather than through a court will no longer be binding.

Nevertheless, the proposed changes were condemned by parts of the Muslim community.[citation needed]

Though Islamic law is interpreted differently across times, places and scholars, following fundamentalist's literal and traditional interpretations, however, it is legally binding on all people of the faith and even on all people who come under their control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia_Law