Canadians paying far too much for Gas

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Some of the talk radio shows callers were saying that in the small towns it was slim pickins of the essentials because people started to hoard essential products and the trucks were cutting down their deliveries.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Anyways, the way I figure it, that is all irrelevant....

like I said, cue the competition mythologists.

If you think the nature of the market is irrelevant you could have just said so in the first place. I just think its funny the corporate apologists have managed to once again argue that bigger is better and size doesn't matter both in the same week.

Last edited:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
like I said, cue the competition mythologists.

If you think the nature of the market is irrelevant you could have just said so in the first place. I just think its funny the corporate apologists have managed to once again argue that bigger is better and size doesn't matter both in the same week.

Of course it's beneficial for a business to expand. What I am saying is that even if a business is making a killing, the simple solution is that if they are charging too high of a price, don't pay it. Bottom line: If you think gas is a "good deal" you will buy it. If you don't think it's a good deal, you won't buy it. Nobody is being forced to buy oil against their will.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...Nobody is being forced to buy oil against their will.

Like I said, what the market will bear but I've been meeting my family obligations well enough and long enough to know that "choice" isn't the end of the story.

dreimers

May 14, 2007
Chevron Boycott

Just recently Chevron announced that they have made another record profit. I think that it's time we sent them a message.

Like most everyone else, I'm frustrated by the amount of money that the oil companies are charging for gasoline. As these companies cheerfully announce record profit after record profit, we hear the same old line from them: “Sorry, but we can’t help it; it’s just Supply and Demand’”. The truth is that they could charge any price they wanted to, and we have little choice but to pay up.

Granted that we should be buying cars that get better gas mileage, using public transport whenever we have the choice, and doing anything else we can to cut gas consumption. But nothing can justify the right that the oil companies think they have to gouge us. So what can we do about it?

It's simple really, we use the old strategy of divide and conquer. Here is how we can do it:

Starting on June 1st, we boycott Chevron gas stations. Buy your gas anywhere you want, but not at Chevron. We will boycott them for one week. If by the end of the week they haven’t lowered their gas price by 10% at the service stations in your home town, then boycott them for another week, and continue to boycott them until they comply with your wishes. It’s simple; it’s just “Supply and Demand”.

After we have convinced Chevron to lower their prices, and have lifted our boycott on them, we will get organized, and target the next Major that has recently bragged about their huge profits.

So let’s do it! Tell everyone in your family; tell your friends; tell the people at work; tell the people you buy your groceries from. Talk it up in the coffee shop. Phone in the talk shows; call Larry King, and let him know about our plan. Use the internet; it’s the most powerful tool for democracy ever invented. Do anything you can think of to get the word out. As consumers, we’re the people who really control the market. If we can speak in one voice, we might just be loud enough to get heard, and if we act together, perhaps we can bring one of these corporate giants to their knees.

Good luck to all of us in this endeavor.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
That said the majority of profits are in selling oil. The profit margin in refineries is considerably smaller.

Actually the refineries are pretty good at turning a proffit themselves, gasoline is only one product. The sale of the numerous by products more than helps in boosting up the profit margins.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Canadian Suckers, whadya expect.? The "I care only about what affects me" mentality isn't working anymore is it. Gosh, now you've got to get off your butt and pass legislation but that sounds like work too, so you'll wait for the last minute when it's 2.50 a litre so you can legislate down to 2.35, when it's only worth 85 cents.

FWIW: Did you know Alberta alone, not counting reserves like Ibernia, can supply the needs of all Canadians for the next 40 years.

What's happening? Trade. They keep reserves to sell to other countries at a lower price and they make the difference up by selling it higher to their own brothers. That's what's called Canadian style
brotherhood. Oh yeah. The US can block our beef from crossing and hurt our farmers, but our oil isn't contaminated is it?. Freakin hypocrites.

Time to nationalize the fuel industry, it's much too serious a commodity to have a cartell of money grubbers handle it, and who prove irresponsible and unpatriotic to boot.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Time to nationalize the fuel industry, it's much too serious a commodity to have a cartell of money grubbers handle it, and who prove irresponsible and unpatriotic to boot.

All of our major resources should be as such, and operated at cost! And the yshould be for Canadians first and the world market second! It should be this way in every country, take care of your own first.